Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sammy Lee - joining Southampton FC (NOT assistant manager at the Albion)

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I have to commend Amex Security it's like MI5. We keep on hearing all these rumours that come to nothing, then this. Just like Sami I never saw that coming either. What next from Liverland ? Steve Gerrard would be useful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm nearer to [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] than I am the fandabbydozy brigade.

NSC has surprised me here, I thought there would be a few more wanting to keep their powder dry, on this appointment.

On the plus side he's been in the game for donkeys years.
But on the down side he's been in the game donkeys years.

He knows the division.
But it appears he doesn't know how to win anything.

TBH I'm happier about Antti Niemi's appointment, if he can coach half as well as he played I'll be well happy.
As for Sammy time will tell, but I'm not boarding the Sammy-train, just yet.

Indy

Apr 19, 2012
I have no problem with Sammy as such but I really dislike Liverpool and their fans, so will struggle to really get behind the Liverpool old boys, just hope there are no more....

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Why are people wànking over this? Great appointment? How do you know? He was at Bolton FFS.

He might prove to be the best coach we've ever had, Hyppia might prove the best manager but personally I think it's more likely they'll both prove to be bang average.

Go and support Leads then, they have appointed someone that most people haven't heard of. Who would you rather have. Still can't please everyone.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have no problem with Sammy as such but I really dislike Liverpool and their fans, so will struggle to really get behind the Liverpool old boys, just hope there are no more....

Do you remember Jimmy Case - he was ok for us (as a player)

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I'm nearer to [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] than I am the fandabbydozy brigade.

NSC has surprised me here, I thought there would be a few more wanting to keep their powder dry, on this appointment.

On the plus side he's been in the game for donkeys years.
But on the down side he's been in the game donkeys years.

He knows the division.
But it appears he doesn't know how to win anything.

TBH I'm happier about Antti Niemi's appointment, if he can coach half as well as he played I'll be well happy.
As for Sammy time will tell, but I'm not boarding the Sammy-train, just yet.

I feel it's better than what we had before, of course no one can tell now if it will be successful or not. No where near as critical as some decent player signings!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I should clarify that I'm not saying he will be utter toilet, just that I don't understand why so many people appear absolutely delighted. It's just such an ordinary appointment.

Then again, Sean Dyche was probably considered an ordinary appointment by Burnley fans when he joined...

touch of realism in your comment i'd say

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Go and support Leads then, they have appointed someone that most people haven't heard of. Who would you rather have. Still can't please everyone.
What specific reasons do you have to be 'all in' on Sammy Lee's appointment?

I feel it's better than what we had before, of course no one can tell now if it will be successful or not. No where near as critical as some decent player signings!
But what we had before didn't even want to be here, but we're still more successful than Sammy Lee has been in his entire coaching/managerial career.

You're absolutely right we have no idea how this will pan out, and what support they get from Tony.
They could be on a hiding to nothing from day one.
They could be given the keys to the safe.

I'm just not entirely convinced Sammy Lee is THE man for the job.

I was fence(ish) when Sami was appointed.
I was gradually moving towards the Sami-train, as other appointments and stuff was happening.
But for now at least I've gone running back to the fence.

I'm just grateful the appointing didn't have me vaulting the fence, running screaming in the opposite direction.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I now have a mental picture of Simster sat in his local Halfords on a Saturday afternoon. Probably in one of those folding out camping chairs, with a travel mug rested in the mesh slot on the arm. Every time someone walks between him and the jump leads display he tuts loudly and waives his arm impatiently for them to move.

What specific reasons do you have to be 'all in' on Sammy Lee's appointment?

But what we had before didn't even want to be here, but we're still more successful than Sammy Lee has been in his entire coaching/managerial career.

You're absolutely right we have no idea how this will pan out, and what support they get from Tony.
They could be on a hiding to nothing from day one.
They could be given the keys to the safe.

I'm just not entirely convinced Sammy Lee is THE man for the job.

I was fence(ish) when Sami was appointed.
I was gradually moving towards the Sami-train, as other appointments and stuff was happening.
But for now at least I've gone running back to the fence.

I'm just grateful the appointing didn't have me vaulting the fence, running screaming in the opposite direction.

I think you will find it is supposed to be a tram not a train.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I now have a mental picture of Simster sat in his local Halfords on a Saturday afternoon. Probably in one of those folding out camping chairs, with a travel mug rested in the mesh slot on the arm. Every time someone walks between him and the jump leads display he tuts loudly and waives his arm impatiently for them to move.

He'd be dribbling out of one side of his mouth as well. :)

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Hmmm.......Lee first pitched up at Bolton near the end of his playing career & was hopeless....a few years later he turned up again as assistant manager to Allardyce coincidentally ?? just as the club started to decline....when Allardyce left Lee became manager & was an utter disaster ( though he did provide a fair bit of gallows amusement with his laughable after match interviews where he seemed almost oblivious to the mess he was presiding over) & was swiftly sacked.

After his return to Liverpool which again finished with the boot, he came back to Bolton, but only as a coach at the kid's academy. Lee is reputed to be a top coach but we've seen little evidence to back this up, & I wouldn't let him near any managerial decisions !!

I'm surprised at how pleased you are at this appointment....at Bolton, I don't think there's any bad feeling towards him, but he was so far down the pecking order that we're fairly indifferent to his departure

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Despite Sammy Lee's indifferent record in coaching and management and that he wasn't Hyypia's first choice as his no.2 I still hope he will do an ok job for us. His appointment must have been sanctioned by Tony Bloom etc. A fresh start with a new regime, working alongside another former big name from Liverpool, at a dynamic club and in a new environment might be just what he needs. It will seem like a breath of fresh air after working with a very dour Freedman. It will be a refreshing change for our players after the rather lacklustre approach by Oscar Garcia who nevertheless got us into the play offs. So I think Hyppia and Co. will have a stiff challenge in getting us to the play offs (or maybe better) for the 3rd season in a row.
It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
How does it "look promising"? I've just had a look at his Wikipedia entry and as I suspected, he's done nothing out of the ordinary.

It looks what it is - an incredibly ordinary appointment. I'm *not* saying he's a loser or anything, however.

200+ games in the top flight. 14 international caps. Asst Mgr in the premier league supporting some of the biggest names. Experienced working with academies (on which our future is based). Knows the manager before joining.....

.....trying really hard to find what constitutes "incredibly ordinary" in that lot where it relates to the appointment of an assistant manager of a second tier club.
Maybe I need a new dictionary (or a radically different perspective)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here