Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tips for moving abroad

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
No, I wouldn't want to move back to the UK however much I miss the football & real ale. The standard of life & pace of living is so much more laid back here plus it's so much cheaper to live. Both my son & daughter are UK resident but neither have produced offspring so there's not that grandchild pull that affects many. If you move into Benalmadena do PM me, I'm just behind you![/QUOTE

My sister used to own a villa above Coin and we see across to Alhaurin from her terrace, couldn,t see any Albion flags mind. Played golf at Lauro. That must be close to you.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I'm just over 50, but I will be working, hopefully find a company that I can work from home. But Gibraltar isn't far and they house all the big gambling companies and I have been tapped up a few times to work there doing web development. No kids, so all safe!

Going back over the thread I note your age, youngster! You can pay 60 euros a month to enter the Spanish Health care system. This enables you to exactly the same care as a Spanish resident. Check at the health centre where you intend to live, make sure you are on the padron and you may have to apply for Residencia.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Wow, good luck dannyboy. I love New Zealand and have very fond memories of my travels out there. Where are you moving to ?

the wife got a job in Wellington. think we're planning on living a fair commute from there in a seaside town on the kapiti coast. house prices and schools are good and still have access to the city . just have to convince the Mrs the 50 min commute will be OK

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you voted exit, why would you move to a county that's within the EU ? A genuine question,I not having a go.

I didn't really have the intention of going until recently. It was on my mind but nothing set in stone.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Would any of you guys that now live in Spain move back?

Not a chance, I do have kids and a grandson, but no way would I WANT to go back, obviously circumstances etc. could dictate otherwise but I have never regretted leaving the UK.

The advice you've been given is all pretty sound, i will reiterate, rent first, it's not a holiday, and however much you love Puerto Marina, Benalmadina etc, you may just find somewhere even better.

I don't think the language barrier will affect you too much around there tbh, but still worth learning, as I said you may find you will move on one day.

Good luck with the move, you will be waking up to sunshine nearly everyday, what's to regret?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I spent 20 years Asia, most of it in Japan. I came back for family reasons and it has taken me time to re-acclimatise. On balance it's good being near family, the Albion and there's a lot of little things that add up to quite a lot.

But I miss Japan and living overseas. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I spent 20 years Asia, most of it in Japan. I came back for family reasons and it has taken me time to re-acclimatise. On balance it's good being near family, the Albion and there's a lot of little things that add up to quite a lot.

Can you change your username please, it is very misleading

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

I want to go, trying to find the money for a trip to Hokkaido one winter.

I've recently returned back to the UK, not acclimatised at all.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Take plenty of Marmite with you as you won't be able to get it past EU regs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here