Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
It bothers someone that they have to waste their time making up a poster full of lies that convinces nobody

The art of writing bullshit Paul Decre and Rupert Murdoch style... They have so many of the weak and easily influenced dancing to any tune they want

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sure it'll liven up in the coming months as the deselection of anti-Corbyn MPs gains Momentum. hearing Kyle on Sunday, theres still a large schism in the PLP (and wider support base) that the election result glosses over for now.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
when are labour going to vote someone in that can lead the party to win an election and not just be someone that looks good as a loser and always in opposition

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
It will be interesting to see who ends up in his shadow cabinet . whether the likes of Chuka Umana will return and if Dianne Abbot holds on

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think it's because all the Labour loyalists who turned on him on this thread are now trying to keep quiet. Understandable, really.

Personally there is a sense of gratitude that his strong personal appeal has put a stop to the crazy hard Brexit nonsense (if ever there was a policy that failed to stack up financially it was this one) and also a sense that strangely his time has come. A politician who devotes all his energy to campaigning and has no idea how to pull this together into an action plan, is a lot less dangerous than some of the alternatives right now.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I'll put my hands up. I was wrong. I didn't think Corbyn would do as well as he did. He deserves a lot of credit. He has really tapped into something, namely that many have lost out under a neo-liberal system and managed to mobilise hundreds of thousands of young people to engage with politics for the first time. Labour’s manifesto, whilst saying nothing about many of the challenges which lie ahead, Tech, Ai etc, offered real hope against a hopeless and hapless Tory offer. All this despite vicious attacks from large sections of the media and little support from within his own PLP. That’s some achievement and takes some balls. Whatever happens, Corbyn has shown that things don’t have to like this – things can be better.
But Labour still lost the election against a useless Tory party devoid of any charisma and ideas. It is still 55 seats behind the Conservative Party, which will not fight another election again with May in charge and no real policy ideas about the future. (Ironically the social care thing was an attempt to tackle something important and will face many of us but look at that happened to that.)
But there's also no doubt Brexit played a big part in this poll. Many saw this as an opportunity to reject the presented notions of a “hard Brexit” and supported Labour rather than Farron's Lib Dems, even though many of those thought Corbyn’s position on Brexit was weak. The result, in my view, was a mix of many things but it was a rejection of a hard Brexit.
Labour now needs to be careful it doesn’t lose the support of those Remainers who voted for it. The early statements are not encouraging. Both Corbyn and McDonnell seem to be ignoring this aspect of the result and are still pursuing a policy which is very similar to the Tories, (good election tactic) save under Labour, there’d definitely be a deal. The opportunity is now there for them to articulate what a common sense and non-hard Brexit might look like which would be popular position and might, just might, help get them over the line next time.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'll put my hands up. I was wrong. I didn't think Corbyn would do as well as he did. He deserves a lot of credit. He has really tapped into something, namely that many have lost out under a neo-liberal system and managed to mobilise hundreds of thousands of young people to engage with politics for the first time. Labour’s manifesto, whilst saying nothing about many of the challenges which lie ahead, Tech, Ai etc, offered real hope against a hopeless and hapless Tory offer. All this despite vicious attacks from large sections of the media and little support from within his own PLP. That’s some achievement and takes some balls. Whatever happens, Corbyn has shown that things don’t have to like this – things can be better.
But Labour still lost the election against a useless Tory party devoid of any charisma and ideas. It is still 55 seats behind the Conservative Party, which will not fight another election again with May in charge and no real policy ideas about the future. (Ironically the social care thing was an attempt to tackle something important and will face many of us but look at that happened to that.)
But there's also no doubt Brexit played a big part in this poll. Many saw this as an opportunity to reject the presented notions of a “hard Brexit” and supported Labour rather than Farron's Lib Dems, even though many of those thought Corbyn’s position on Brexit was weak. The result, in my view, was a mix of many things but it was a rejection of a hard Brexit.
Labour now needs to be careful it doesn’t lose the support of those Remainers who voted for it. The early statements are not encouraging. Both Corbyn and McDonnell seem to be ignoring this aspect of the result and are still pursuing a policy which is very similar to the Tories, (good election tactic) save under Labour, there’d definitely be a deal. The opportunity is now there for them to articulate what a common sense and non-hard Brexit might look like which would be popular position and might, just might, help get them over the line next time.

I think Labour would have done better if Benn, Burnham, Umunna, Dan Jarvis and some of the other Corbyn deniers had been on the front line and in the shadow cabinet. But then in that case May would never have called the election in the first place. It was because she thought she had nothing to fear from Abbott, Thornberry and co that she went for it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I think Labour would have done better if Benn, Burnham, Umunna, Dan Jarvis and some of the other Corbyn deniers had been on the front line and in the shadow cabinet. But then in that case May would never have called the election in the first place. It was because she thought she had nothing to fear from Abbott, Thornberry and co that she went for it.

It'll be interesting to see how many of them will join Corbyn's front bench now. He certainly could do with some of the old heavy hitters and brain power as it remains a weak shadow team.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think it's because all the Labour loyalists who turned on him on this thread are now trying to keep quiet. Understandable, really.

yes where exactly are they, they should keep their ear to the ground , in fact so should have the tories not only with the tories indoors but watching the groundswell that was the labour party.
she took to many people for granted, lets hope she does not do this with the Brexit talks(that's if she lasts that long) otherwise we are all in the do-do

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Since the election this banner has been making me smile and chuckle, I have enjoyed Mark Steels rants (one on last weeks new quiz about 3.55 in) saying the more we vote for him the more hilarious it becomes as the Tories mud slinging at him only winds them up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08spvzv

Attachments

• Falafal .jpeg
    Falafal .jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 239

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here