Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I politely disagree. We must leave the customs union and the single market. The customs union prevents us from trade deals with the rest of the world.

We have no choice in soft or hard Brexit. Such a thing does not exist. We are leaving and it is up to the EU what they allow us to do.
They need our billions for their budget so this deal will be signed within 6 months.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I'm curious, can you give me your top 3 countries that would give us the UK a better trade deal than we already have with the EU?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
You don't know what they think, all you know is what the leaders chose to put in their manifesto as their negotiation start point.

I don't know what they think.
This debate started with you and you seem to know what people want/ think. Ironic that

The solution is we keep free trade and keep the free movement of people. That's what the majority of us want.[/QUOTE]

The truth is nobody knows what people think, as nobody really asks and to be fair people's opinion on Brexit changes all the time

Last edited:

Absolutely agree with you!

I just don't see how maintaining the status quo would lead to the greater prosperity and wealth we need.

For that to happen we need to sell more products and services to the EU countries at a greater profit than we currently do. They are our partners but also our competitors - and they're winning - we have a huge balance of payments deficit with them.

At the same time we hand over the second highest subscription charges of the 28 members. Our money goes to help other countries infrastructure and they repay us by buying other countries products. Mmmm.. Some might say we're a bunch of losers!

Now it's not mature to get bitter and twisted about the situation and there are other considerations to take into account - and after all - they are our friends!

However, quite unexpectedly, we have the first opportunity in over 40 years to review our relationship with Europe.

I have this rather old fashioned concept that to sell products and services and to make money, you must have customers - preferably lots of them. It's no good producing a great product if nobody buys it - perhaps because they're skint.

With that in mind, it's hard to see how we can sell products to EU members who can't afford them - we've been trying that in a sluggish EU for many years - but at the moment I think we're flogging a dead horse.

So I believe we need to find millions of new customers around the world who every week are moving from low income to middle class with an ever growing disposable income. I think 'Made in England' can still a prestige purchase.

What arrangement would we currently have with the EU now if we had voted to leave the Common Market in 1975? Would we not have come to a close and mutually beneficial trading arrangement with them by now? Of course we would.

So that agreement is what we should aim to achieve now.

But we must be realistic and honourable. The EU needs our money - desperately - else they will be have difficulties with their budgets. That's why they urgently seek to address this matter. 50 billion suddenly becomes 100 billion - an opening gambit - understandable.

I have no desire to cause any harm to any of our friends as we leave and I think we must expect to come to an arrangement whereby we continue to pay a substantial annual payment for a number of years whilst a fair and logical trade arrangement is agreed. It's honourable, it makes sense and it's achievable.

When we leave the EU, it will be indefinite not just 5 years, but 50, 100 who knows! So if we have to make payments for say 10 years or more, I believe it would be a price worth paying and it would become more and more negotiable.

I do hope that if this comes about, and that we can get our young people on board. I hope that if they can see real new genuine opportunities they can put all their enthusiasm, drive, learning and creative ideas into the new British renaissance. Use the great wealth of this country to find investors and backers, create world desirable products and services located in all corners of the UK. This is how we became rich in the first place. If we don't others will.

We have been the greatest global nation the world has ever known - it's our instinct and heritage. No country in history has contributed more in Law, Human Rights, Commerce, Technology, Science, Invention and Discovery. Just let us throw of the shackles and allow us to do what we do best.
Spot on. Can you form a government. I will vote for you.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Go on then - do it. If you're quick no one will notice as they're all pointing at the DUP and laughing and/or crying.

well i'm laughing bozza, this is like dads' army. captain mainwaring as may, the rest of the (thinking)
country as walker and wilson smiling, knowingly

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think we will find that an awful lot of Remainers can see the tide is turning. For as long as we're still in the EU, Brexit CAN be avoided. Theresa May will make a huge pig's ear of things over the next few months. She is SO far out of her depth it is embarrassing.

And, although Labour's manifesto says they accept the result of the Referendum, it also says that Labour will seek to retain the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union. That's a compromise most Remainers could live with - and it leaves the door open for re-admission at some future date.

How can the tide be turning if we are still leaving The EU and how is that avoiding Brexit?
You seem to forget labour didnt win the election and even if they had Jeremy could have sought to retain all the benefits and had his cake and eaten it till he was blue in the face.......doesnt mean the other party in the negotiations (The EU) would have actually agreed

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I always thought that the UKIPPERS, going over to the Cons was a bit to simple, most of the, if you like, 'working class brexiteers' were probably Labour supporters before UKIP came along. They would have voted leave, and for UKIP in 2015, but once their goal had been achieved why vote for a different party, that neither they or their families had ever voted for. I'm talking more of the Northern electorate, not so much us soft southerners, I can't imagine many in places like Stoke, Barnsley etc are natural Tory voting towns

polling and Labour's own canvassing said large numbers of that Labour-UKIP voter was now likely to vote Conservative. and you know what? they did, 42% came from somewhere. however as we have been told breathlessly for 3 days, Labour has apparently picked up a substantial number of younger voters. if you were watching early on in the night there where thousands of additional votes for Conservatives in north Labour seats. they didnt translate that to seat across the country, with Labour surprising everyone with gains.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interested what the Labour die-hards would do if the position was completely reversed...

- Labour was the governing party.
- Labour called an election to try and enhance their majority (but pretended it was for another reason).
- Things didn't go to plan.
- Cosying up with the DUP (or some sort of left-wing variant) was the only viable option of securing a wafer-thin majority in the House.

If that happened, would you:

a) Be telling the Labour leader to step aside and let the Tories, who finished a distant second, assume a minority government position.
b) Be telling the Labour leader to give up as he had no credibility left.

Of course you bloody wouldn't be!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A quick question,how many votes difference constitutes a marginal constituency?
East Worthing and Shoreham now has a difference of about 5000 votes,between the Cons and Labour I never dreamed that I would live in a constituency where it was possible my vote could actually make a difference.
It'll be in play next time and I'm sure they'll be attempts to coalesce a progressive tactical vote there as there was in East Sussex this time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Interested what the Labour die-hards would do if the position was completely reversed...

- Labour called an election to try and enhance their majority (but pretended it was for another reason).
- Cosying up with the DUP (or some sort of left-wing variant) was the only viable option of securing a wafer-thin majority in the House.

a) Be telling the Labour leader to step aside and let the Tories, who finished a distant second, assume a minority government position.

Do we have a left wing variant of the DUP? The greens? I don't think many would mind that. Easy pickings for the right to sneer at but you'd certainly be able to get in to bed with them with a cleaner conscience wouldn't you? B would probably happen, but I see that happening with May too.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I don't want May to hand over to Corbyn now, I want her to carry on for a few months, as a lame duck PM, and then have the Government crash and burn before they can install someone with an idea of how to run a country.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

everybody has have they not on here in the press and media

that went well then

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do we have a left wing variant of the DUP? The greens? I don't think many would mind that. Easy pickings for the right to sneer at but you'd certainly be able to get in to bed with them with a cleaner conscience wouldn't you? B would probably happen, but I see that happening with May too.

No, I don't believe there is a left-wing crackpot party that is equivalent to the DUP. But I knew if I just said "DUP", I know some would say, rightly so, "Labour would never get into bed with the DUP" (although there seems to be suggestions that Brown was at least considering it).

My question was probably too long-winded. This would probably do:

If Labour had 318 seats, and the Tories 262, would any Labour voters be saying that Labour should step aside and let the Tories run the country? Of course they wouldn't.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They're already selling off parts of the NHS and there's still effing idiots on here with their noses stuck up the conservative arse!

didnt seem to cause too much concern when Labour did the same (PFI, Hinchingbrooke, etc).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here