Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official allotment thread.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Ours have not fruited yet, I think in your case the sun rises in the south and me, sets in the north:)
Nope. It's just that the sun always shines on the righteous haha!
My greenhouse beds are filled with the waste from guinea pigs straight from the cage. I use nothing else including no compost. Works a treat and my results have been superb!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Nope. It's just that the sun always shines on the righteous haha!
My greenhouse beds are filled with the waste from guinea pigs straight from the cage. I use nothing else including no compost. Works a treat and my results have been superb!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Excellent, we use chicken pellets, a bit smelly though :)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
How's people's allotments this year?
Our pots have started to chit, garlic just surviving, looking forward to the summer :thumbsup:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Right I have not got any photos for this year but will get some later on as I am very pleased with my scaffold pole, fishing net and black beach hut additions.

This picture is last year.
View attachment 75598

The Weald site? My folks allotment I help out on regularly is very close to yours I think.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The Weald site? My folks allotment I help out on regularly is very close to yours I think.

Yes. A mystery admire of my fishnets!
Can't think where you're folks are. Not on our row I think. Be moving a greenhouse from our other allotment this month as we are downsizing from two to one allotment.
Say hello next time your up.
Potatoes chitting, tomatoes peeping out, broad beans happy, spring cauliflowers strong and kale and chard being eaten.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Yes. A mystery admire of my fishnets!
Can't think where you're folks are. Not on our row I think. Be moving a greenhouse from our other allotment this month as we are downsizing from two to one allotment.
Say hello next time your up.
Potatoes chitting, tomatoes peeping out, broad beans happy, spring cauliflowers strong and kale and chard being eaten.

Are all these at home or in greenhouse?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

At home in another greenhouse wrapped heavily in bubble wrap overnight. I'd bring them in every night but she won't let me and they are surviving. potatoes in spare bedroom no heat on, all others out in the open. They like a cold frost. Will fleece the broad beans though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

She felt sorry for the tomato seedlings and allowed them indoors today. Came in looking very robust at 2" high but the shock (of course) was the sudden warmth of sunlight through the window. A quarter decided to droop onto the soil whilst the others looked very happy. An hour later and all are happy except for one weakling.

Got 20 looking good. Last year we went to Portugal for Feb and their nurse maid over watered them and we lost 90%. When this happens we take cuttings from the crotch between the stem and the branch of the healthy plants, at about 8 weeks or when these side shoots are about 2", and pot them on. Possible to literally pinch a few cuttings from Garden centres, as well.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
She felt sorry for the tomato seedlings and allowed them indoors today. Came in looking very robust at 2" high but the shock (of course) was the sudden warmth of sunlight through the window. A quarter decided to droop onto the soil whilst the others looked very happy. An hour later and all are happy except for one weakling.

Got 20 looking good. Last year we went to Portugal for Feb and their nurse maid over watered them and we lost 90%. When this happens we take cuttings from the crotch between the stem and the branch of the healthy plants, at about 8 weeks or when these side shoots are about 2", and pot them on. Possible to literally pinch a few cuttings from Garden centres, as well.

We have not started any planting yet, will probably do so in March, if it warms up a bit.
No greenhouse at home, only poly tunnel up the allotment, which we'll start using.
We do get some of our seeds from the National Trust, which they give away some traditional seeds, especially of the tomato variant.
Have just got back from the allotment after having 30 bags of wood chips delivered with some compost.
Now knackered.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Over wintering cauliflowers be ready later this week.
IMG_20180408_160814863.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Seed trays look very organised.
Broad beans survived the snow and now in flower and 10 shoots of asparagus testing the temperature.
With the delayed start there's going to be a lot of work to be done over the next month.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Poor start to the year for me, managed to get my Spuds, Shallots and Parsnips in but its been too wet and cold to do much else. Bought the Rick Stein book on Mexican cooking a month back and i'm inspired to grow some different chillies and Tomatillo's for the first time. Going to grow lots of beans for drying, Gigante and Bellotti, and sticking with the trail of tears Climbing French Bean as they are lovely and very productive.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not got an allotment now but still grow potatoes in a couple of bags at home and runner beans. My question is that we are going away from 2nd to 15th June and do not wish to plant the beans before we go as there is nobody to water them so Can I put some beans in pods and leave them to grow while away? Would 16th June be too late to plant them out? If I water them well before we leave would that suffice for the 2 weeks or should I devise a way for the water to get into the pots via drip or some other way.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not got an allotment now but still grow potatoes in a couple of bags at home and runner beans. My question is that we are going away from 2nd to 15th June and do not wish to plant the beans before we go as there is nobody to water them so Can I put some beans in pods and leave them to grow while away? Would 16th June be too late to plant them out? If I water them well before we leave would that suffice for the 2 weeks or should I devise a way for the water to get into the pots via drip or some other way.

Yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here