Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don’t mean to hijack, but I have a marathon question too that I would appreciate opinions on from some of our more experienced runners if that’s okay. I’ve been running HM distance (or close to it - usually 18k ish) a couple of times a week for quite a few months, as well as one or two other shorter runs. So I know I’m comfortable at HM distance but, crucially, I’ve never been a step further than 21.1k. Although I’ve never been particularly fussed about running a marathon, I’ve accepted that I might never be in a better position to do it. And who wants to get to the end of their life saying they’ve only ever done a half...

So my question is from my current position (ie fine at HM but untested at anything above that) when could I reasonably expect to be able to run a marathon? I wouldn’t be looking to smash any time targets, but I would only want to do it if I could run the whole way.

If you’re not looking at any particular time target I would say something like 8 weeks. Essentially 6 weeks of increasing long runs, adding 1-2 miles each time to a weekly long run would comfortably get you to 20m or so which is enough, then a couple of weeks of tapering down.

A lot of the generic marathon programmes are set at 16 weeks or thereabouts (New Year to April to help the VLMers for example) with a half marathon distance approx half way through so you’re already comfortably at that point. Your aerobic endurance will already be really good from running long distances as much as you are so the step up to a full marathon won’t be too difficult.

You could do it in less with your existing base frankly but 8 weeks would be sensible and less risky from an injury perspective. Remember to run a bit slower than you would for your current distances if going longer, and also think about fuelling - it’s easy to run for a couple of hours with no calorie intake, but anything longer you will really need to take something on (whether gels or ‘real food’ is up to you, experiment on your training runs to see what your stomach can cope with and what works best).

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I don’t mean to hijack, but I have a marathon question too that I would appreciate opinions on from some of our more experienced runners if that’s okay. I’ve been running HM distance (or close to it - usually 18k ish) a couple of times a week for quite a few months, as well as one or two other shorter runs. So I know I’m comfortable at HM distance but, crucially, I’ve never been a step further than 21.1k. Although I’ve never been particularly fussed about running a marathon, I’ve accepted that I might never be in a better position to do it. And who wants to get to the end of their life saying they’ve only ever done a half...

So my question is from my current position (ie fine at HM but untested at anything above that) when could I reasonably expect to be able to run a marathon? I wouldn’t be looking to smash any time targets, but I would only want to do it if I could run the whole way.

Good advice from Dazzer
And like you I only done HM and the hardest part was slowing my pace down so not to blow out too soon
Also finish time wise it’s normally double your HM time plus 30 minutes

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Did first one of 5 at 53. Bad My 3:50:19 is not comparable to my other distance pbs run 25 years earlier but GOOD that I beat my triathlon rival's time by 1 second and GOOD that it's the only pb I have an outside chance of bettering.

Get in whilst young. See you there. http://www.brightonmarathonweekend.co.uk/2018-entries-reopening/

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thanks for the advice guys. Good to see that generally you advise a fairly 'relaxed' attitude to pacing for the long run. My event is on 11th November so have just 2 more Sundays until taper. Am clocking 35 miles in a good week so I guess I'm giving myself a chance. I'm sort of between 'beginner' and 'intermediate' in many of the published schedules. Cheers!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
My watch recently got updated with some cardio workout things, so I thought I'd try one at lunch, a 50 minute 'endurance' workout. By golly it was hard work, and not in the normal way... keeping your heart rate in specific zones is jolly tricky! The first 5 minutes warm up was... erm... walking pace, followed by a loping trot (mixed with more walking to get the heart rate back down again). I don't think it let me break into an actual jog for about fifteen minutes, and actual running was limited to about five minute bursts.

I was quite relieved when the session ended with me a few of miles away from the office and I could finally open up and RUN back! :D

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone still planning to do the Bevvy Parkrun tomorrow ? I’m still in post-marathon recovery mode so won’t be up to much but might pop along if anyone else is ? Heard they do a good brekkie..........

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Anyone still planning to do the Bevvy Parkrun tomorrow ? I’m still in post-marathon recovery mode so won’t be up to much but might pop along if anyone else is ? Heard they do a good brekkie..........

Its not planned till the following Saturday.

I'm around so will come along.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Lurgy attack for me. Probably amble Hove Park as I need to try out the new watch but will pop along if I have a quick overnight recovery.

Capricorn

Aug 14, 2010
Perth, Australia
Does it count as a 5K PB if you match your previous 5K PB exactly? :lolol:

Ran 17:23 at parkrun in what was a pretty warm sunny morning here in Perth. I didn't run at all last week because I was so busy, but I got in a few runs this week and completely knackered myself out at indoor football last night, so the time was a pleasant surprise!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Does it count as a 5K PB if you match your previous 5K PB exactly? :lolol:

Ran 17:23 at parkrun in what was a pretty warm sunny morning here in Perth. I didn't run at all last week because I was so busy, but I got in a few runs this week and completely knackered myself out at indoor football last night, so the time was a pleasant surprise!

Well done. NSC rule 24 section (iii); says yes, if you have had a birthday as your AG goes up.

Have you had a Parkrun 1st place yet?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Morning Gents, upsettingly I can't make the Bevendean club run next week so I ran it this morning instead. The time for you all to beat is 20:40 (awaiting the official confirmation), but good luck beating my 1st place finish! :albion2:

It was a glorious win, I lead from the start and was only back into 3rd for about 10 metres after the downhill stretch where the boys chasing me thought they had more than eventually had!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Tired the newish East Grinstead parkrun. I now claim to be the official NSC Parkrun Tart as I've now run all the parkruns in East and West Sussex. But a slow one - 23:33. To anyone thinking of doing this do not go PB hunting. It is twisty, muddy and hilly. Even my time gave me 13th (field of 145) and no-one broke 20 minutes. Very well marshalled and friendly but I can only imagine it getting muddier in the next few months. Quite scenic and worth a visit, though.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Morning Gents, upsettingly I can't make the Bevendean club run next week so I ran it this morning instead. The time for you all to beat is 20:40 (awaiting the official confirmation), but good luck beating my 1st place finish! :albion2:

It was a glorious win, I lead from the start and was only back into 3rd for about 10 metres after the downhill stretch where the boys chasing me thought they had more than eventually had!

Great running ninja. Think only [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] will get anywhere near that. I'll be happy with sub 25 next week.

Hastings for me 21:29. Just about perfect conditions and was hoping to go better but went off too quickly again and paid the price on mile 3.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Managed to shave a few seconds of my parkrun pb this morning in perfect conditions at Preston Park. Came in with 21:53 (SB and PB), which doesn't move me up the NSC table unfortunately. However (grasping at straws here, but it's the only way I can compete these days...) I think it does allow me to overtake [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17139]Capricorn[/MENTION] on AG ranking (my AG is now 74.56%), but still a way to go to get anywhere near [MENTION=635]Gary Nelson[/MENTION]'s teacher .....

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Tired the newish East Grinstead parkrun. I now claim to be the official NSC Parkrun Tart as I've now run all the parkruns in East and West Sussex. But a slow one - 23:33. To anyone thinking of doing this do not go PB hunting. It is twisty, muddy and hilly. Even my time gave me 13th (field of 145) and no-one broke 20 minutes. Very well marshalled and friendly but I can only imagine it getting muddier in the next few months. Quite scenic and worth a visit, though.
Worthing for me, recovering from a cold so pleased to get within a minute of my PB.

They mentioned the new Lancing pr, (were looking for volunteers) so another one for you to bag coming up soon.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Lancing's 1st parkrun should definitely be an NSC run squad outing! One to keep an eye on. Isle of Man's first ever parkrun kicks off next week so I'm keen to get that one ticked off as well, get an International parkrun under my belt!

I'm not sure whether to share secrets/tips of the course, but it seems like the thing to do! The long straight hill at the back of the course is absolutely savage. The hill sprints session on thursday started to cause me issues I think! I'll be trying to batter that time before the end of the year, without all the sessions beforehand! There's then a ridiculously long downhill section back to the start point again to do it all over again. It's a cracking course, but there were only 32 runners today - I wonder how long they'll keep it going for.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

20:40 seems a fairly straight forward task but on the basis you add to 2 minutes from a flat run I’d have to go at 18:39 flat pace which is my exact PB.

Well done Ninja on a 2nd Park Run victory.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
20:40 seems a fairly straight forward task but on the basis you add to 2 minutes from a flat run I’d have to go at 18:39 flat pace which is my exact PB.

Well done Ninja on a 2nd Park Run victory.

Official time is 20:39, so you know what's required!

I reckon that you can have my time, depending on your recovery from the Bright10 tomorrow. The long down hills will better suit you I think, and I wouldn't think there would be too much between our times on the climb. If they're not already segments, I'll create them when I upload tonight so we can compare. I'll probably be racing in Newcastle, but it depends how the friday night goes!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here