Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest financial gamble on a player by the club?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
was thinking Ritchie and Smith were pretty big gambles, but in today's terms a player like Ritchie would probably have cost £10 mill having score goals for Man U aged 19. They were not such gambles as the three from Holland, Agustien Holla and Elvis (even Berkamp). Best stay clear.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
he also played in a friendly whilst on trial against Lewes. He looked like he'd literally never played football before or he was a fan who'd won a competition and was allowed to play for a laugh

....and then we signed him

Never knew that about the friendly, didn't he actually play only around 30 minutes 1st team football all season ?

Oct 25, 2003
Never knew that about the friendly, didn't he actually play only around 30 minutes 1st team football all season ?

he played in 4 games. Mostly off the bench. I think his only start was away at Luton alongside Mark McCammon (worst strike partnership ever?)

we lost every game he played

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
Jason Peake at £100,000 exactly 20 years ago was a significant sum with our meagre income at the time - and the future looking even bleaker.
One worldie goal at the beginning, and that was it. Despite this, we survived.
(For younger fans, just think 'Ryan Harley' and you will get my drift.)

Would also vote for Peake. Great left peg, but didn't work out for us. Soon went back to Rochdale I think - and on a free. Amazing sum given our league position - although I think some of it was money reinvested from selling Paul McCarthy and Junior McDougald.

That was the season before Hereford though - we also brought in Maskell and Baird, which worked out considerably better of course.

Farrington was another bad one. I have a vague recollection that was also £100k. We'd sold Mike Small to West Ham for £400k, so Barry Lloyd probably thought he was quids in. Byrne then went to Sunderland for £250k (?)...and there's no way that Farrington is just under half a Johnny Byrne!

Boy did we used to get mugged off for our players back then...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We paid £500K for Richie, but most of that was from the £400K we got for Ward.

Ah ok. A bit before my time.
But the wages back then were starting to sow the seeds of financial disaster...

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Vicente.

Didn't pay a fee but I imagine his salary was larcenous. Big gamble for someone who was a sicknote by the time he got to us.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
anyone remember what we paid for Graham Pearce from Barnet?

must have been a gamble at the time,non-league to top flight

seem to recall him bagging a late winner at Elland Road,so he was worth every penny

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ah ok. A bit before my time.
But the wages back then were starting to sow the seeds of financial disaster...

No idea - we (as fans) didn't really have much awareness of wages back then. Well, I didn't anyway. Great if we paid a few hundred thousand quid for a player, but it was like, that's it - we've signed a £100K player.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
he played in 4 games. Mostly off the bench. I think his only start was away at Luton alongside Mark McCammon (worst strike partnership ever?)

we lost every game he played

Midweek game between Christmas and New Year. I remember walking through snow to the ground from the station to hear the announcement of McGammon and Turienzo up front and almost turning round to go home again.

Turienzo went off injured if memory serves?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I doubt it. .not then.. would guess he was on no more than £400 per week... if that

The year the Albion went up the highest wage was £350 a week. Two years later, when we had signed Ritchie, the highest paid player was on nearly £1,000 a week.

Albion Wages 1981.PNGAlbion Wages 1980.PNG

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
anyone remember what we paid for Graham Pearce from Barnet?

must have been a gamble at the time,non-league to top flight

seem to recall him bagging a late winner at Elland Road,so he was worth every penny

£30,000 I think.

He lobbed Mervyn Day at Elland Road in a 3-2 victory from about 30 yards. No one could work out what he was doing in the Leeds half to be honest.

Also scored a last minute SCREAMER when we beat Cambridge 4-3 at the Abbey.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Vicente.

Didn't pay a fee but I imagine his salary was larcenous. Big gamble for someone who was a sicknote by the time he got to us.

Did it not transpire that Gus did not get along with him because he was bigger than Gus. Scored and made assists, one of the most classy players I have ever seen in the stripes. Gus blew it because he could not handle the pressure, Vicente was a joy to watch.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
he also played in a friendly whilst on trial against Lewes. He looked like he'd literally never played football before or he was a fan who'd won a competition and was allowed to play for a laugh

....and then we signed him

Remember that game well. Specifically remember turning to my mate and saying "we definitely won't be signing him". Then we did, I was perplexed to say the least.

Oct 25, 2003
Did it not transpire that Gus did not get along with him because he was bigger than Gus. Scored and made assists, one of the most classy players I have ever seen in the stripes. Gus blew it because he could not handle the pressure, Vicente was a joy to watch.

I doubt Vicente was blameless in the situation. He came with baggage from Valencia where he'd fallen out with the club (primarily the medical staff) and was certainly quite 'delicate' in his time here. Perhaps Gus just wasn't used to dealing with players like that (BIG step up from the likes of Alan Navarro and Matt Sparrow to Vicente) and probably didn't handle the situation particularly well- it definitely became clear after their departures that Vicente did NOT get on well with Gus. Probably one of the most interesting players to have ever played for the club.

but yes, he was an absolute joy to watch, there's no doubt about that

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I doubt Vicente was blameless in the situation. He came with baggage from Valencia where he'd fallen out with the club (primarily the medical staff) and was certainly quite 'delicate' in his time here. Perhaps Gus just wasn't used to dealing with players like that (BIG step up from the likes of Alan Navarro and Matt Sparrow to Vicente) and probably didn't handle the situation particularly well- it definitely became clear after their departures that Vicente did NOT get on well with Gus. Probably one of the most interesting players to have ever played for the club.

but yes, he was an absolute joy to watch, there's no doubt about that

He certainly was. There is room in the game for all types of footballers, but let's face it, no kid was ever inspired to dream by Andrew Crofts or Keith Andrews.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He lobbed Mervyn Day at Elland Road in a 3-2 victory from about 30 yards. No one could work out what he was doing in the Leeds half to be honest.

Supposedly on the way up to the game George Petchey and Chris Cattlin said to him "If you manage to get a one-two and you score, there's a crate of champagne in it for you."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here