Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion add Oxford pre-season friendly on Tue. 26th July (plus one coming for the Amex)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Oh great. That means that dreamingspires idiot will be showing his face again. :rolleyes:

Although he will have a valid reason for the first time EVER!

He might even leave his bedroom for that one.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Oxford is a nightmare to get to if you go by train. There's some lovely pubs in the city centre but from then on it's all downhill. The ground is four miles out in a dodgy housing estate. If you get a bus allow an hour because Oxford's traffic congestion really is bad. Bear in mind there's no toilets on the buses so you'll need a strong bladder after all that lager/ale. Taxi's are expensive but cut the journey time to the best part of half an hour.

The stadium has been three-sided since it was built 15 years ago and you lose a lot of the atmosphere as a result although it's a decent view from the away end. An ok day out but one that you feel involves a lot of hassle and if you're in the same division as them for a few seasons it's all a bit meh and not the first fixture you look for in June.

Train not really an option for a midweek game. But I've never found it takes that long by bus. Number 2 from right outside the station takes you to within a couple of minutes of the rather underwhelming ground.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the 1980s not sure if it is still the same, Palace were granted exemption from taking part in the Surrey Senior Cup and as a gesture played the winners in a pre season friendly at the winners ground with the proceeds going to Surrey FA Benevolent Fund to help junior club injured players. It is or was an FA rule that every team had to take part in the county cup competition relevant to their standard and membership status. I have often wondered why we didnt do similar as nobody seems to want to play in the cup and we usually send out a mixed youth/U21s team.

Not that I would want that as the big friendly at The Amex but it would help Sussex FA and lower clubs.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
In the 1980s ....Palace played...a pre season friendly at the winners ground with the proceeds going to Surrey FA Benevolent Fund to help junior club injured players. It is or was an FA rule that every team had to take part in the county cup competition relevant to their standard and membership status. I have often wondered why we didnt do similar

Not that I would want that as the big friendly at The Amex but it would help Sussex FA and lower clubs.

PS: Only a week ago the club donated the use of the Amex and a lot of (free) time/effort/people to help stage the REMF charity game/Albion v Palace match.
and Albion always play Whitehawk/Lewes etc on a rotating basis each pre-season (its one of their biggest games of the season crowd wise) to help support lower clubs.

richmond

May 30, 2008
I'm looking forward to this game as I live in Abingdon, just a few miles from the ground and go with my son to see Oxford on a regular basis, including the recent Johnson Paint Trophy at Wembley. He was born in the JR hospital where you could see the old Manor Ground from the maternity ward windows!

Oxford are thinking of plugging the empty end with a temp or permanent stand. To me Firoz Kassam, the owner of the stadium has no real interest in the club, it was only a stepping stone to get other hotels, leisure complex built around the ground. Oxford pay £750,000 per year ground rent - he pays no up keep whatsoever.

Hoping B'ton take a decent following and as a life long Albion supporter (53 years) I'll sure to be wearing blue...with a hint of yellow!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I once went to the Manor ground and seem to recall Gotsmanov scoring on a 1-0 win, am I imagining this?

richmond

May 30, 2008
I once went to the Manor ground and seem to recall Gotsmanov scoring on a 1-0 win, am I imagining this?

You are quite right, I was there and Gotsmanov made it 1-0. I was also there when Dean Saunders went on a run and thumped in a goal...for Oxford!

I also remember being just in front of Robert Maxwell (he was seated at the front and I was stand at the back if that makes sense), when B'ton scored and I turned around and gave it plenty to his miserable face. Last laugh on him as we lost 2-1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here