Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Apology to Gus Poyet

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
BTW, the latest goings on are completely changing the way I look at the Bloom/Barber v Poyet/Oatway situation...

I found it baffling how many people automatically took Bloom/Barber's side without questioning anything, at the time. If the club's case against Poyet was so unequivocally strong, the reason for his dismissal definitely would've leaked by now.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I found it baffling how many people automatically took Bloom/Barber's side without questioning anything, at the time. If the club's case against Poyet was so unequivocally strong, the reason for his dismissal definitely would've leaked by now.

Many of us had 100% faith in Bloom. Meanwhile, Poyet put his foot in his mouth a few times...

Last edited:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I was very vocal in my lack of support for GP in the latter part of his tenure. My problem was his ego and his wish to 1 day manage every single other club in the world. Anyway my biggest problem was when he claimed that we had reached our ceiling. This whilst we were in the midst of a play off push to the premier league. I genuinely believe Gus was in saying this was attempting to get the shown the door.How could we have hit the ceiling? We were ****ing brilliant. Being a fickle fan i thought we were on a fine footing and when Gus was sacked i was extremely pleased. Fast forward 18 months and i think we can all see that we have not just hit the ceiling, but blown the whole roof off. I hate to say I am wrong (because i never am) but i was completely wrong when it came to my lack of support for Gus. Seeing what a shambles we are in now makes me think of all the good times we had under his tenure and how much i miss his style of football (there i said it). He was'nt perfect but he knew how to motivate a team. Something Sammi Hyypia will never be capable of. Be careful what you wish for.

Have to agree, much as I don't want to

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
But Bolasie didn't come on until the 62nd minute, and Poyet immediately brought on Barnes as cover for him. It was two games in four days wasn't it? As for Ulloa, there were no other choices for a striker, as both CMS and Hoskins were injured.

JBizzle, comprehensivley owned by El P in 2 posts there.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
A **** who got us playing good football. I could'nt give a shit if he was a **** or not. Alex Ferguson was a ****, He didn't do too bad. Its what happens on the pitch that counts.

Thought you said you had a problem with his ego?

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
The season we won league 1, the football was generally incredible.

Away at Peterborough ("Nightmare on London Road") was one of the best examples of passing i've ever seen, we cut them to shreds and blew them away.
CMS for all his running couldn't get near the ball, what a spectacular performance. Walking back to the car, i can remember thinking, I'm just so glad i went today and witnessed that, then listening to 606 with Albion fans on cloud 9, bristling and 2 peterborough fans called in saying how brilliant we were........ The joy of being an Albion fan that day and with the impending move into the Amex, it was a great time, playing great football, on the up under a great manager.

Momentum is a powerful thing, positive momentum lifted our club to the L1 championship that year, and negative momentum will just as easy see us through the trapdoor back there again, this year.

You don't change much when the momentum is in your favour, youre a complete fool if you sit back and do nothing when its working against you and all that good work is unraveling.

Ah The memories...I remember their keeper saying that it didn't matter that they were reduced to 10 as we were going to slaughter them anyway. There were periods when Peterborough didn't see the ball for several minutes at a time. How did we end up here?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I saw that as a convenient excuse to suspend Poyet while the club put together a dossier of issues which started many, many months before.

Yes, I agree. But if Poyet was refusing to deal with the retained list it demonstrates that there was a conflict of interest between the manager and the club over player issues. And OG hinted at the same thing.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Poyet got sacked because he was off to Fulham and he was taking certain players and back room staff with him.hence why back room staff got moved on aswell( they got oatway on something else).

Now I've no idea what lead up to this if it was Barber or he just wanted to go onto higher things but there was rumours over Christmas that year that gus wanted out, coming from inside the club.

I very much doubt Bloom wasn't aware of it untill March as he said. Maybe that was when it became official.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Poyet got sacked because he was off to Fulham and he was taking certain players and back room staff with him.hence why back room staff got moved on aswell( they got oatway on something else).

Now I've no idea what lead up to this if it was Barber or he just wanted to go onto higher things but there was rumours over Christmas that year that gus wanted out, coming from inside the club.

I very much doubt Bloom wasn't aware of it untill March as he said. Maybe that was when it became official.

How is that Gross Misconduct?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
All irrelevant, he would have been gone in no time regardless of what was going on behind the scenes, in the same way that he's briefly on loan to Sunderland in terms of his career I should imagine.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Had Gus shut his big Gob we wouldn't be in the mess we find ourselves now, we missed out on automatic promotion in our second season by 3 points we had a very good team that only needed tweaking for the following season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There wasn't a vacancy at Fulham.
Refusing to do your job is insubordination- refusing to do press conferences (Tanno did quite a few in the last months) handling the retained list (all three got suspended for that although Tanno was cleared).

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I agree as the case against him was Gross misconduct which arguing over the retained list hardly comes near.

Examples of gross misconduct
Acas lists the following as examples of gross misconduct:

“dishonesty, theft or fraud;
malicious damage;
fighting or assault on another person;
serious incapability through alcohol or illegal drugs;
actions which endanger employees' safety;
falsification or unauthorised removal of company records or property; and
a serious act of insubordination”

Out of all those reasons for gross misconduct, I know which I would put my money on when dealing with a fiery Uruguayan.

Which one?

Don't forget it took us 5 weeks to get to a point where we had decided, sorry, fully investigated, what the Gross Misconduct actually was. Also, it involved a 4 or 5 week suspension for Charlie and Tanno. Tanno was conveniently cleared the day before we needed him to take pre-season training, while Charlie lost his testimonial, and AITC duly lost 50% of the proceeds that he'd said he would donate to them.

I'm genuinely intrigued, what reason is your money on?

albionite

May 20, 2009
There wasn't a vacancy at Fulham.
Refusing to do your job is insubordination- refusing to do press conferences (Tanno did quite a few in the last months) handling the retained list (all three got suspended for that although Tanno was cleared).

There was a vacancy but Fulham changed chairman and kept the manager they had for a little longer. If you check back he was on his way out but decided to give him longer. I can only guess to why they did that.

Oatway was suspended for different reasons to Poyet and tanno, something I can't type as would get thread removed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here