Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports Personality of the Year

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Why? So the left wing PC brigade from the BBC can ensure that gay, female, handicapped dwarf hockey team can win everything?

Care to qualify that (rather silly) comment.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Full results on bbc website
Claire Durjardin -Dressage came 4th with 75000 votes
Blind skiers 5th - 35000
Gareth Bale 8th - 13000
Carl froch 9th - 11000

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hamilton is a far more humble, gracious likeable chap than when he last won the F1 Championship. He may not pay taxes here but his success helps drive a successful F1 industry in this country with thousands of jobs.

McIroy was unlucky but he's not the first world champ to be beaten into 2nd place.

The Lifetime Award for Chris Hoy was fully justified, he is a class act.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Some people just don't like Lewis Hamilton. No on ever mentions Jackie Stewart, Jenson Button, Damon Hill or Nigel Mansell moving abroad and not paying tax.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Some people just don't like Lewis Hamilton. No on ever mentions Jackie Stewart, Jenson Button, Damon Hill or Nigel Mansell moving abroad and not paying tax.

I like Lewis Hamilton, I also think he is a fabulous driver but I think he lets himself down by rejecting his country of birth when it suits him but plays the GB card when it is to his benefit.

Compare his actions to that of JK Rowling for instance

I chose to remain a domiciled taxpayer for a couple of reasons. The main one was that I wanted my children to grow up where I grew up, to have proper roots in a culture as old and magnificent as Britain’s; to be citizens, with everything that implies, of a real country, not free-floating ex-pats, living in the limbo of some tax haven and associating only with the children of similarly greedy tax exiles.
A second reason, however, was that I am indebted to the British welfare state; the very one that Mr Cameron would like to replace with charity handouts. When my life hit rock bottom, that safety net, threadbare though it had become under John Major’s Government, was there to break the fall. I cannot help feeling, therefore, that it would have been contemptible to scarper for the West Indies at the first sniff of a seven-figure royalty cheque. This, if you like, is my notion of patriotism. On the available evidence, I suspect that it is Lord Ashcroft’s idea of being a mug.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Sad. Using the Tax card to moan about the winner.

Why are people assuming that's the reason he does not reside here. I am f***** if I would either if I were in his position.

Pleased he won it. Well deserved

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Does Rory Mc live in the UK/Ireland these days?

Well done Lewis Hamilton and also the England Womens Rugby Team well deserved.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Sad. Using the Tax card to moan about the winner.

Why are people assuming that's the reason he does not reside here. I am f***** if I would either if I were in his position.

Pleased he won it. Well deserved

Simple really, I assume that tax is the reason for his residence overseas because he is careful not to spend an average of more than 91 days in the UK and has registered with HMRC as a non-resident for tax purposes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well done lewis ! you overcame some huge hurdles and disappointments to knuckle down and win by great racing !

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If nothing else, he probably won because his achievement was more recent than any of McIlroy's - people tend to vote for what is freshest in their minds if there isn't a clearly obvious winner (ie - Andy Murray last year).

Why do the BBC continue to use "personality" in the title of the award ? It is solely based on peoples opinion about sporting achievement. Having seen the interviews few of the finalists came across with a great personality.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
What has her background got to do with it? She's incredibly good at her sport and did a good job promoting it after she won gold.

Wouldn't argue with that second part, I just have a personal issue with privilege and how, in certain arenas (minority sports for example), it furnishes those people with a 'leg up' to compete that leaves a bit of a bad taste, for me anyway.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Watched Morse and Lewis on ITV3. Not the same nowadays without Des doing a duck shoot with an olympic champ or Frank Bruno on a golf machine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here