Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes was he our Dean Saunders?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Strikers often get to a certain point in their career where it all suddenly clicks. Barnes has shown enough quality to me to suggest this could happen to him as he reaches 26+ years old.

CMS was playing non-league football up to the age Barnes is now. Yet Barnes is showing his worth as a young player putting in consistent (if not always spectacular) performances in the Championship over the past 3 sesasons.

I guess we'll have to trust the coaches and scouts within the club that our contract valuation for him is right, because I genuinely feel he's eventually going to be a very very good player.

But Saunders had blistering pace, Barnes won't get taller or faster, so I don't see how he's going to suddenly become Prem quality.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Posting nonsense again. Saunders being sold was a crime at the time, but we were desperate for the money even though it was clear to everyone that he was a rising star.

Barnes is an average Championship player, nothing more. To compare him to Saunders is complete and utter nonsense.

Spot on Giraffe.

richmond

May 30, 2008
I remember seeing Dean Saunders play for Oxford at the Manor Ground against Brighton, not long after he joined them. I was certain he would score that day...and he did, a cracking shot from outside the box. Boy, did that one hurt, after the club had virtually given him away...£60,000 I believe!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
We got Saunders on a free because he wasn't great at that time and moved him on for 70 large when he wasn't much better. Only then did he improve

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We got Saunders on a free because he wasn't great at that time and moved him on for 70 large when he wasn't much better. Only then did he improve

Really? I remember him being amazing for us.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But Saunders had blistering pace, Barnes won't get taller or faster, so I don't see how he's going to suddenly become Prem quality.

You seem to have read a lot more into my statement than is there. I've not said Barnes could be as good as Saunders or that he is Prem quality.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Absolute riubbish.

He was superb for us, and it was obvious to everybody that Oxford had got a steal.

I remember one game at the Goldstone when he was utterly unplayable. When his second (or possibly third) flew in, Millard announced it as being scored by 'The Welsh Pele'! I think we lost the game 4-3 sadly - to Bradford.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
This thread has made me feel a little more positive. He's not in the same bracket as Saunders. He's good but not amazing. Have every faith Oscar will get someone better in.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Your memory is playing tricks with you. He was great for us and was sold for £60k only because the bank insisted we did in order to pay off some of our debt. I also think we picked him on a free.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

I seem to remember he won player of the season in his first year. Not bad for a team that had the likes of Wilson, Penney, Connor, in it. Yeah he wasn't all that at all.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008

To say I am flabbergasted by the above would be an understatement.

Dean Saunders was absolutely superb for us - a true Albion great.

Fabulous pace, fantastic ability to control a ball and an eye for goal.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I remember seeing Dean Saunders play for Oxford at the Manor Ground against Brighton, not long after he joined them. I was certain he would score that day...and he did, a cracking shot from outside the box. Boy, did that one hurt, after the club had virtually given him away...£60,000 I believe!

Was that the game when he "won"a very dodgy penalty against us? Was a great player for us though.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004

Definite re-write of history, he was excellent for us. Rare quality of getting a buzz from the crowd in anticipation when he got the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here