• No thanks no flags

Votes: 182 83.5%

• Total voters

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Refugees Welcome Flags v Hull City-Do you want them

A campaign has been launched by Yvette Cooper

Labour leadership candidate Yvette Cooper and MP Chris Bryant are writing to every Premier League club to urge them to allow supporters to unfurl #refugeeswelcome banners in a show of solidarity with those seeking help in Britain.
Only one Premier League club’s supporters’ group – Aston Villa – have so far backed the #refugeeswelcomeEFL support group who are campaigning for banners to mark an “English Football League Day of Solidarity” a week on Saturday. Supporters have been previously prevented from flying flags which are perceived to be of a political nature and Bryant, who is supporting Cooper’s bid to become Labour leader, told clubs to allow fans the right of expression.
“It would be a real shame if the football clubs either prevented fans from expressing their views and holding up banners, or players from taking part in that show of support,” Bryant toldThe Independent.
As opposition grew to Prime Minister David Cameron’s reluctance to grant a safe haven to a substantial number of the tens of thousands fleeing violence in Syria, Afghanistan and beyond, fans of Charlton Athletic and Swindon Town pledged support for the banner campaign, with Villa’s supporters preparing a show of support for refugees during their next game, away at Leicester. But three clubs is a meagre expression of solidarity compared with the compassion fans in Germany, Sweden and Spain have demonstrated for those fleeing war and conflict.
There has been markedly less evidence of British clubs’ supporters acting as a force for good in the war on xenophobia and suspicion of those seeking shelter. Banners demonstrating a welcome for refugees have been seen at FC United of Manchester, the fan-run club established by Manchester United supporters in protest at the corporatisation of their club. The equally enlightened Dulwich Hamlets and Clapton FC have also lead the way. But Germany has a far more extended network of clubs using the power of their profile to encourage an understanding of those forced to flee their homelands.
With the international break giving clubs and supporters an opportunity to plan a show of support, the Premier League is understandably encouraging clubs to establish strong lines of communication with fans, ensuring that there are no conflicts over banners not complying with safety regulations.
Celtic have said they will donate their share of the proceeds from a weekend of charity events in Dunfermline to assist people affected by the refugee crisis. But British football’s contribution pales by comparison with Germany – where Bayern Munich’s pledged to donate €1m (£730,000m) to help refugees and set up a training camp for those arriving in Munich.
“FC Bayern see it as its social responsibility to help those fleeing and suffering children, women and men, to support them and accompany them in Germany,” the Bayern chief executive, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...r-those-seeking-help-in-britain-10485360.html

I will read the whole thread later but its a great big NO from me. I would like to think my youngest son and his two sisters are going to be infront of any migrants when Cameron starts giving out free homes etc.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I agree with Edna. If Brighton supporters wish to do it then then I prefer if it's due to their own volition and not a parliamentary press gang. Will I bring a sign/flag, no. Will I be happy to see others do so, yes. Nothing wrong with showing a bit of compassion.

Can people bring a flag saying refugees **** off too just to make it diverse and open up the debate.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I will read the whole thread later but its a great big NO from me. I would like to think my youngest son and his two sisters are going to be infront of any migrants when Cameron starts giving out free homes etc.

And let Yvette be reminded that we also have disabled people, lonely people, pensioners, young families, unemployed people, disenfranchised people who should be infront of the queue. The sting in this tail will be when these immigrants start shipping in their belongings in containers that have been held in storage. Its coming, the European political classes, yes Yvette I mean you, have forgotten the people they represent and sold out to a huge con trick. No wonder her husband lost his seat at the election, they represent no one other than themselves.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
I will hum Tom Petty - Refugee in support and chip in a few quid if there's a bucket.

Think that's fair

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
When the elite say they want to invite the refugees into their homes they mean ours not theirs, there are just as many people who have great reservations about what is happening but the likes of Yvette Cooper thinks she can use the refugee crisis to shore up her useless leadership campaign.

It won't be Cameron & Cooper whose schools are rammed, who can't get a doctors appointment or are even further down the list for social housing.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
No . As for the poeple that do show all this compassion why dont you let them have your spare bedroom instead of donating worn out clothes. If your going to do your bit do it properly instead of taking the holyier than thou ground.
No i dont want them here we havnt enoigh room to house what live here allready sorry but thats how i feel.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I agree entirely with posters who say that there is no place for politics in football so, YC you can push off. But I whole heartedly agree that the UK should accept a greater number of true refugees and especially in circumstances relating to our Empirical days.

Any discussion on this rather vexed matter MUST however take account of circumstances - are they genuine refugees or are they 'economic migrants' and I feel that Cameron recognises this 'difference'

The major issue is that countries where these people land SHOULD be able to differentiate between the two and send them back to wherever if in the latter category, however, as it is, the border 'police' in Greece and Italy are purely engaging in a game of political pass the parcel.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
This is the sort of radical, far-sighted, in touch with the people, without a hint of band wagon jumping that makes be bitterly regret wasting my vote on Corbyn.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can people bring a flag saying refugees **** off too just to make it diverse and open up the debate.

You're welcome, as long as you don't mind my Vote Corbyn clackers.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No thanks. I won't be taking a flag to work, to the pub, or hanging one in our street either.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Most of the refugees appear to be Muslims?
Sorry if I am wrong.
If they are prepared to change their views on homosexuality,Female Genital Mutilation and sex with children................as per the Koran....I have no problem with them.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This match is solely for remembering those that lost their lives @ Shoreham. Disgraceful post

i am not running a campaign to wave flags,i am not Yvette Cooper.
i was simply sharing information from a news article that people are trying to kick start clubs/individuals into doing this.

and yes i think its a daft idea

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
i am not running a campaign to wave flags,i am not Yvette Cooper.
i was simply sharing information from a news article that people are trying to kick start clubs/individuals into doing this.

and yes i think its a daft idea

Actually pasta, i think the reply "Disgraceful post" was to another post/poster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here