Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The point is - a few weeks ago Hammond wasn't allowed to say anything, and there was complete denial of the need for a transition period. Now Hammond is allowed to talk about a three year transition period. That is a seismic change. Plus, Gove - the arch-est of arch Brexiteers - is happily talking about the continuation of Free Movement well beyond 2019. Things are changing!

No quotes then.

Seismic? PM May back in January

"It is in no one's interests for there to be a cliff edge for business or a threat to stability as we change our existing relationship to a new partnership with the EU," Ms May said in her speech.

"By this I do not mean that we will seek some form of unlimited transitional status in which we find ourselves stuck forever in some kind of permanent political purgatory," she said.

She wanted to have struck a new deal with the EU by the end of a two-year period for negotiations to leave the bloc.

"From that point onwards, we believe that a phased process of implementation, in which both Britain and the EU institutions and member states prepare for the new arrangements that will exist between us, will be in our mutual self interest," she added.

She said: "We will seek to avoid a disruptive cliff edge and we will do everything we can to phase in the new arrangements we require as Britain and the EU move towards our new partnership."

Any transition process would be complete before the next GE.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
:lol:

There's only 9 given one is repeated as they ran out.

Lots of maybes, could do, and no timeframe.

Well thats certainly sold the idea to those that voted leave not sure about the rest of us

If only people were open minded enough to give Brexit a chance :shrug: #bettertogether

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
The point is - a few weeks ago Hammond wasn't allowed to say anything, and there was complete denial of the need for a transition period. Now Hammond is allowed to talk about a three year transition period. That is a seismic change. Plus, Gove - the arch-est of arch Brexiteers - is happily talking about the continuation of Free Movement well beyond 2019. Things are changing!

You think the remainers protested? You think that people that voted leave will take it lying down?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Remind me - when was the last time a generation of youngsters thanked its elders?

No idea..was responding to

Quote Originally Posted by Dorset Seagull View Post
As a leaver I find things are panning out pretty much as I expected when I made the decision of which way to vote although I will say I did anticipate a bit more immediate downside to the economy etc. It must be awful to be a remainer watching this but having no concept of the end game that us leavers have a vision of. Granted the government seem to be making hard work of it but I am still convinced that when the youngsters look back in a decades time they will thank those of us that stepped up when needed.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Yep the mood is changing, I don't hear any protests from Labour, just a few weeks go spreadsheet Phil was toast

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You think the remainers protested? You think that people that voted leave will take it lying down?

Lying down? I was thinking Little Englanders were more Zimmer frames and mobility scooters? :lolol:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
As a leaver I find things are panning out pretty much as I expected when I made the decision of which way to vote although I will say I did anticipate a bit more immediate downside to the economy etc. It must be awful to be a remainer watching this but having no concept of the end game that us leavers have a vision of. Granted the government seem to be making hard work of it but I am still convinced that when the youngsters look back in a decades time they will thank those of us that stepped up when needed.

:thumbsup:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We'll see.

Well I certainly hope we'll see but I still predict the Conservative Party will manage to fudge the UK's departure through to conclusion via a two year transition deal and a set of secretive industry-by-industry pay-offs. By the end of this Parliament the country's reputation, infrastructure and economy will have taken such a battering that exhausted voters will nod the whole thing through in a 2021 general election on the basis that if we've come this far we may as well see it through. On the other hand though, the Albion might by then be flourishing in the Premier League and a major renaissance in centre ground politics might have produced a Brexitexit. None of us knows.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well I certainly hope we'll see but I still predict the Conservative Party will manage to fudge the UK's departure through to conclusion via a two year transition deal and a set of secretive industry-by-industry pay-offs. By the end of this Parliament the country's reputation, infrastructure and economy will have taken such a battering that exhausted voters will nod the whole thing through in a 2021 general election on the basis that if we've come this far we may as well see it through. On the other hand though, the Albion might by then be flourishing in the Premier League and a major renaissance in centre ground politics might have produced a Brexitexit. None of us knows.

Maybe a new party like Macron's will be up and running by then

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Ah Macron .. the saviour of France and the EU. Already four ministerial resignations plus the head of the armed forces quitting. Makes our government seem relatively stable.

Yes, France is certainly in for a period of terrible economic turbulence and declining influence and prosperity - we can expect England to streak ahead of the Gauls any time now.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
France, lovely but with attitude. Brave to a degree but useless collectively in politics, tactics or militarily. General governance together with workers powers creates a basket case. Who thinks that is anyway a role model or a nation (sorry, state) to follow?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here