Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier League Prize Money

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
As an aside, I'm curious as to how much difference 1st and 2nd place prize money for Championship this year?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
But with a wage bill of £83m and carrying over a debt of £150m that £100m won't even touch the sides.

Careful what you wish for, people.

At least we have a chance to pay TB back in the PL! Only a growing debt in the championship, so spend to stay in the PL would be a sound investment for the future!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least we have a chance to pay TB back in the PL! Only a growing debt in the championship, so spend to stay in the PL would be a sound investment for the future!

Judging my the figures being talked about here, 'paying back' Tony seems as far away as breaking even in the Championship.

I'll hazard a guess for the foreseeable future TB is settling for nothing other than 'not spending more of my own money'.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Judging my the figures being talked about here, 'paying back' Tony seems as far away as breaking even in the Championship.

I'll hazard a guess for the foreseeable future TB is settling for nothing other than 'not spending more of my own money'.

I would imagine TB wouldn't want us to start repayments till we are settle in PL, purely because he would have the most solid chance of a return, and because it gives the club the chance the thrive! All of this is pure speculation as its not me who has shelled out £250m or whatever the figure is!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Does anyone know how much profit we make from a sell out at home?

Matchday income in 2015/16 was £12.035 million, with average attendance of 25,583. Total attendance of 588,415 plus 27,272 for the playoff, gives a total of 615,687. This works out as £19.54 per fan per match.

Given that matchday prices won't be much higher in 2017/18, and working on an average attendance of (say) 29,500, and assuming the income per fan rises by (a generous) 10%, gives £576,000 per match. With 19 league games in the PL this works out as about £11 million for the season.

The above doesn't include advertising and commercial income though.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I'm not so sure, the median net profit in the PL last season was only £3.5 million.

I would imagine TB wouldn't want us to start repayments till we are settle in PL, purely because he would have the most solid chance of a return, and because it gives the club the chance the thrive! All of this is pure speculation as its not me who has shelled out £250m or whatever the figure is!

Round it up to 250 million what the hell, we are in the premiere league who's counting the odd millions:moo:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As an aside, I'm curious as to how much difference 1st and 2nd place prize money for Championship this year?

There is no prize money.

Don't forget the income from 600 houses + Ikea in Lancing. No idea how much that will be though.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea

I was under the impression that there isn't prize money in the championship - everyone receives the same and any extra money comes from TV rights...

I might be wrong though.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I will admit knowing nothing about tax offsets so I may be talking crap, but maybe TB has spent 'some' money which has helped him on a personal financial level but has also enabled him to enjoy his passion to the fullest. :)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Based on nothing more than a fans point of view and seeing what we have and what premier teams have...........I'd say we need about 7 real quality players and I'd anticipate it costing between 50 - 80 million

Just to survive.

I don't think we will do that and if you offered me to still be in with a realistic chance of survival with 3 games to go I would absolutely rip your arm clean off.

The non serious investing approach ( re building with parachute money ) is ridiculously high risk.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Matchday income in 2015/16 was £12.035 million, with average attendance of 25,583. Total attendance of 588,415 plus 27,272 for the playoff, gives a total of 615,687. This works out as £19.54 per fan per match.

Given that matchday prices won't be much higher in 2017/18, and working on an average attendance of (say) 29,500, and assuming the income per fan rises by (a generous) 10%, gives £576,000 per match. With 18 league games in the PL this works out as about £10.4 million for the season.

18 league games?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Given that matchday prices won't be much higher in 2017/18, and working on an average attendance of (say) 29,500, and assuming the income per fan rises by (a generous) 10%, gives £576,000 per match. With 19 league games in the PL this works out as about £11 million for the season.

Thanks for that, very interesting!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's spending money well rather than spending money per se that's the issue for me. If Dale Stephens stays, for example, then it's £12-15m saved from the transfer budget.

To give you an idea of wages and transfers, last year the Albion's wage bill was £27m and £9m was spent on new players, whereas in the PL average wage bill was £109m and player signings £72m

[tweet]857284099895119873[/tweet]

Am I reading that right, Man utd spent 232,000,000 on wages?! On top of 167million on transfer fees and whatever they paid the agents?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here