Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Junior doctors strike.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
An important underlying point is that whilst you do have access to emergency treatment 7 days a week, the level of care at weekends (including access to tests and consultants) is not the same as during the week. The fact that you're more likely to die if you're admitted at the weekend has got to be addressed IMHO.

Yep, Hunt is going to have to take on the consultants at some point. Looking forward to THAT.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
An important underlying point is that whilst you do have access to emergency treatment 7 days a week, the level of care at weekends (including access to tests and consultants) is not the same as during the week. The fact that you're more likely to die if you're admitted at the weekend has got to be addressed IMHO.

I agree with you that the issue needs to be researched.

The research to date suggests that there are more weekend deaths because patients are admitted as emergency cases rather than outpatients due to outpatient care not being as active at weekends, which seems logical.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Yes thanks.

Are you saying that junior doctors don't work weekends?

No, I am saying not enough do. The ones that do, are I imagine getting a nice bit of overtime. BSUH have nurses and HCAs on 12 hour days and you don't get to choose which days of the week you work. You take your turn. Why are Junior Doctors different?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
No, I am saying not enough do. The ones that do, are I imagine getting a nice bit of overtime. BSUH have nurses and HCAs on 12 hour days and you don't get to choose which days of the week you work. You take your turn. Why are Junior Doctors different?

Because their contact says so?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I see hardly any references to patients not only on here but in the rhetoric that is espoused on our television screens and computers. If the country wants a truly top class NHS then it has to pay for it and politicians , its never going to happen, need to put it to the people that it is going to cost 3-4p on tax, in addition the way that the service is run and delivered has to change massively.
I've had recent experience of the NHS having being diagnosed with my condition at 7pm on a Friday as the consultant was running out of the ward and saw the difference from Saturday/Sunday and Monday, when your watching as a patient its amazing.
Consultants at the weekend doing their rounds twice a day followed by a matron/sister and then consultats doing their rounds on a Monsay and Tuesday followed by six junior doctors, where did they come from, they weren't here at the weekend? I watched junior doctors fail to get a line into the old fellow next to me and consult the matron on what they should be doing in administering drugs. I see the strike dates and note that one five period is broken up to allow for a weekend.
We live in a changing world, airline pilots, truck drivers , those in the hospitality sector, entertainment, footballers ffs etc, etc, etc work weekend shifts for no extra pay as its part of their profession. Whilst unpaletable these changes are way over due and have been abrigated by all previous governments, its got to be done and needs to start now. As for Junior Doctors, they will not win, they will and are losing public support, being seen as part of an elite that is too intelligent and too important to work at weekends and their smirking picket line faces do not inspire me that they are some one that I want to treat me. Its the wrong strategy and they are being badly misled.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
What's that got to do with the junior doctor's dispute?

Being married to a community nurse I happen think the HCAs and nurses are hideously underpaid and overworked too.

See post 39 where you referenced post 38 and labelled me mad.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Don't really want to reopen old wounds (pun intended), but I wonder what all those who had a pop at myself and others who said the strikes were all about politics and pay rather than patient safety, think now.

politics is the study or practice of the distribution of power and resources within a given community so the whole argument is political. I genuinely believe that Junior Doctors have taken it upon themselves to try to protect the NHS, the fact that they are also trying to protect their own pay&conditions does not contradict or detract from that position.

My biggest concern is that May has not seen sense to remove Jeremy Hunt , I can't see a solution happening until he is replaced.

Tonight ITV have stated that the junior doctors have staged a massive climbed down , I think the opposite they have proved their point IF they turn up the heat then the NHS will collapse.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I don’t see anyone referring to the fact that the National Insurance Contribution was introduced to pay for the NHS and Old Age Pensions. That is what it is for. Last figures that I found on Google showed that NIC produced a “surplus” of 400 billion pounds. This while we have the lowest pensions in Europe and an underfunded NHS.
It is a political decision to take those funds from their intended purpose. We are being conned. I even heard someone suggest we raise an extra tax to pay for the NHS! Unbelievable how we are lied to. We have a tax to pay for the NHS and Pensions but politicians refuse to honour it. Don’t compare it to Road Tax as if that makes it right.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don’t see anyone referring to the fact that the National Insurance Contribution was introduced to pay for the NHS and Old Age Pensions. That is what it is for. Last figures that I found on Google showed that NIC produced a “surplus” of 400 billion pounds. This while we have the lowest pensions in Europe and an underfunded NHS.

not sure where you got your information from. according to HMRC, NIC for 2015-2016 was £113bn. thats a little less than NHS budget alone, pensions are another £100bn.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It is a political decision to take those funds from their intended purpose. We are being conned. I even heard someone suggest we raise an extra tax to pay for the NHS! Unbelievable how we are lied to. We have a tax to pay for the NHS and Pensions but politicians refuse to honour it. Don’t compare it to Road Tax as if that makes it right.

Bit of a red herring though. We have various methods of taxation in this country and all the money goes into a pot to pay for public services. VED and fuel Duty are probably not all spent on roads. VAT was meant to pay for the EU membership but raises far more.

A government could use all funds from NI contributions to fund the NHS but all they would do is reduce the rate to reflect the amount they want to contribute to the NHS and raise other taxes to cover the shortfall elsewhere.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
5 day strike action suspended.

Hopefully before operations and appointments were cancelled in preparation of this strike.

If there were ops/ appointments, etc that had been cancelled, hopefully there will still be enough time for them to be reinstated after this announcement to minimise disruption

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It's quite simple really; you can't move from a 5 day service to a 7 day service without increasing the number of staff hours. So where are these extra hours going to come from?

I was led to believe that one of the arguments (from Junior Doctors) against the new contracts was that they were already offering a seven day service ? If so, isn't this just a contract that matches existing working practices (not necessarily everywhere has it at present ? but in some places?)

Using the "it's about patient safety" is designed to gain public support (for both sides when they have both used this claim)

The Health secretary won't set staffing levels or sort out the shift patterns for hospitals once these contracts are introduced (should they ever be) - that will be down to the managers of the various trusts and hospitals to set and budget for (as it should be) and although the contracts will allow for greater flexibility in providing staffing over the 7 days, cover may continue to be at the same levels they are now, and therefore it may result in very little change from the existing shifts and cover that exists now in some places. (It does create the ability for change (in the future) should it be needed for wanted in particular areas should the managers feel it is appropriate and affordable)

The new contracts will hit some junior doctors financially as the high premiums they get for unsociable hours drops, and this seems to be a cause of a lot of the resentment towards the contracts (who wouldn't complain if you work level stayed the same / increased, but your money was cut, affecting your household budgets and possibly things like your mortgage payments) - but lower costs for existing staffing (due to reductions in those premiums) could mean they can afford more staff to help spread the load.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
not sure where you got your information from. according to HMRC, NIC for 2015-2016 was £113bn. thats a little less than NHS budget alone, pensions are another £100bn.

You are probably right, it was some time ago when I googled the questions. Fact is the whole tax system is a mess because every Chancellor tries to hide the truth.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Bit of a red herring though. We have various methods of taxation in this country and all the money goes into a pot to pay for public services. VED and fuel Duty are probably not all spent on roads. VAT was meant to pay for the EU membership but raises far more.

A government could use all funds from NI contributions to fund the NHS but all they would do is reduce the rate to reflect the amount they want to contribute to the NHS and raise other taxes to cover the shortfall elsewhere.

Quite agree, the fact that the NHS is underfunded is a political decision taken to serve it up for privatisation. Even Maggie Thatcher thought they could not privatise the Post Office but they did and we think nothing of it now. The NHS is next.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here