Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread full of Folk music

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Loved this from a couple of years back. Possibly because it slotted in beautifully with the whole London 2012 Olympic mood :thumbsup:

Craven Wine

Apr 29, 2012
Some of the offerings at the Grey's over the last few years have been entertaining. Pity about the shenanigans around the management of the venue! Fancied the Purbeck festival but other commitments..

If you've got 45 minutes or so ... there's this. A glimpse into how folk music got to where it got to in the 1970s.

[yt]AUJXwowVn1E[/yt]

And my own minor claim to fame is that, years ago, I used to perform occasionally with the Albion Band - including one big show when we wowed the citizens of Croydon, at the Fairfield Halls.

And there haven't been many occasions when the Albion have been cheered by the locals in Croydon.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Try:
any Shirley and/or Dolly Collins album (Etchingham girls)
"No Roses" by Shirley Collins and the Albion Country Band - the classic electronic folk album
The Unthanks - for a bit of Geordie folk
Rachel Unthank and The Winterset - as above
Laura Marling - particularly Rambling Man, Good-bye England, Sophia
Nick Drake

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Steeleye Span version of a song from the great Northumberland and Durham coal strikes of 1832 and 1844. Went down a treat when they played it live in Nottingham in '84 I believe.

sullyshuffle

Aug 16, 2003
Horsham
Had the pleasure of seeing Fairport with Sandy Denny in Croydon and the Etchingham Steam Band (an offshoot of Albion Band?) in Horsham in 1974...those were the days!

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Some demos from my good lady.
All written and composed by her. Her style is traditional, with her music featuring stories about local places.
Hopefully performing somewhere near you in the next few months.
Get in touch if you'd like to book her :blush:
http://www.soundcloud.com/jacsfolk

Last edited:

As a live proposition, this lot take some beating ...

http://youtu.be/1Apz2yKc2ac

Saw them live on Wednesday at TW. Lived up to expectations, never seen such a wide variety of things being bowed, plucked, blown or hit to make a wondrously tuneful racket. They had an interval, probably to get their energy back!

I now know what a Helicon looks and sounds like, an effort to just hold let alone play so respect to Ed Neuhauser for playing it.

Had the pleasure of seeing Fairport with Sandy Denny in Croydon and the Etchingham Steam Band (an offshoot of Albion Band?) in Horsham in 1974...those were the days!
It was more the case that the Albion Band were an offshoot of the Etchingham Steam Band. The Etchingham Band was formed by Ashley Hutchings as a band for his then wife, Shirley Collins, to perform to (they lived in Etchingham at the time).

I got my opportunity to become a performer once the Albion Band got going - because the Albion Band lined up a tour of Sweden that clashed with a pre-arranged tour of Switzerland that had been booked for the Etchingham Band. Vic Gammon, Terry Potter and Ian Holder (the core of the Etchingham Band) went off to Switzerland, with a few added musicians and me (acting as what the Swiss called a Tanzmeister) and, for the next fifteen years or so, I worked regularly with these guys (and occasional gigs with the Albions).

As you say ... those were the days.

I think these tracks are all on his album "Bomber's Moon" which I became aware of via Spotify. In contrast to his comedy folk stuff (remember "Rochdale Cowboy") this is a poignant set of war related songs, his father (part of a bomber crew) being killed in action a few weeks prior to Harding's birth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here