Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Over £14M received for the sale of .......

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Sorry? Not sure what you mean. [MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]

Every club is paying for a hugely luxurious stadium(too luxurious on hindsight) and a £30m academy?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
But what's the point of having a luxurious stadium in League One? There are times to be conservative, but also times to take a risk - and given our glorious chairman's profession, I would say he has the capability to take enormous risks. There is a massive danger that we could get left behind - and who know's - end up like Coventry or Darlington, knocking around in fantastic grounds, with dwindling crowds due to a financial structure in place designed to be happy with mediocrity.

I'm probably wrong, but I do honestly believe that to stay competitive in this league, we DO need to keep up with the Joneses so to speak.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But what's the point of having a luxurious stadium in League One? There are times to be conservative, but also times to take a risk - and given our glorious chairman's profession, I would say he has the capability to take enormous risks. There is a massive danger that we could get left behind - and who know's - end up like Coventry or Darlington, knocking around in fantastic grounds, with dwindling crowds due to a financial structure in place designed to be happy with mediocrity.

I'm probably wrong, but I do honestly believe that to stay competitive in this league, we DO need to keep up with the Joneses so to speak.
i literally cannot believe you're comparing our situation to Darlington. Saints preserve us.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I don't think we are in that mould at all. We are trying to balance youngsters, occasional quality experienced and sensible spending Along with a few loanees. What ain't gonna happen is us going out and spending £4m on a striker.

I am confident that come end of August we will have a decent squad to give Hyypia a go at working his magic

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
TB stated we would have a competitive budget, which indicated funds were available. This was before Ulloa was sold for £8m upfront which obviously wasn't budgeted for. We have freed up wages budget from released players as well as Ulloa. I expect a chunk of the £8m to be spent strengthening, either in signing on fees or transfer fees, and will be disappointed and a little concerned for this season if that doesn't happen.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
It's not about spending like for like it's about replacing pieces in the puzzle that are missing.

It's no point spending 4m on a player that won't fit in to our squad just because the fans are waiting for a big signing.

If o Grady can replace Leo then great
If Walton can replace tomaz great
If Hughes can replace Upson great

If life was that easy then we would all be owning football clubs

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

What good has chucking millions upon millions done for the likes of Forest?

We have been competitive the last 2 seasons and how much did we spend on transfer fees (remembering also that the first season we spent a bit more because we had a L1 squad and not a championship one.

Players may not cost a transfer fee, or maybe only a small one, but there are other costs too that come into play, such as wages, signing on fees, bonuses, etc.... so the player budget (which includes transfers and wages, etc) has to cover everything.

Replacing the likes of Dicker, Sparrow and co (poss still on L1 wages) with the likes of Upson, PIG, Andrews, Ward, Bridge, (Lingard) etc, is going to increase your wage bill and reduce your spending power in the transfer market.

How much did Palace spend on new players the season they went up? - How much did Burnley? - and based on the calls for bigger and bigger transfer fees / wages to be paid for new players, what good has it done clubs like Reading, Forest and so on? Did it bring them promotion?

... Leo, Bridcutt and Barnes and only £500K spent so far on Chris O'Grady. By my reckoning, therefore, even if the club want to retain half this income we must still have a sizeable pot available for signings. The question is can we and will we spend it? Let's hope the club have some big surprises in the pipeline for us "transfer in" starved supporters and that we have something to cheer about soon.

And yet again:
1) Income received from player transfer sales during the financial year/period 01/07/13 to 30/06/14 (ie last season) has already been "spent" in reducing the club's losses for that year. Incidentally, the rent that BHA pays for the stadium will have increased last season from £250k to £1M.
2) There's the remaining amortisation (depreciation) on our purchase of Ulloa to balance in the accounts, I'd estimate that will knock around £1M off the money we received from Leicester.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
And yet again:
1) Income received from player transfer sales during the financial year/period 01/07/13 to 30/06/14 (ie last season) has already been "spent" in reducing the club's losses for that year. Incidentally, the rent that BHA pays for the stadium will have increased last season from £250k to £1M.
2) There's the remaining amortisation (depreciation) on our purchase of Ulloa to balance in the accounts, I'd estimate that will knock around £1M off the money we received from Leicester.
Why the big jump in rent?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here