• Yes, I'd expect to be able to order at 8:44

Votes: 181 90.5%
  • No, I'd expect 8:44 to be too late to order

Votes: 19 9.5%

• Total voters

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Slightly OT but on the same topic has anybody tried the Sussex Yeoman in Palatine Rd since it changed from Fair and Square to Hungry Horse? Need somewhere for dinner on the way home from Newcastle game next week and so far it looks like the Downlands Toby Carvery.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Is this not making food available late in the evening thge start of the foreign food as they were prepared to work later to satisfy the customer needs. Hence in the 60s after the pub closed people started going for a Chinese initially then Indian came about then Kebabs etc.

Not thought about that before. Good point and looks like this pub is just continuing the tradition of non customer service.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is this not making food available late in the evening thge start of the foreign food as they were prepared to work later to satisfy the customer needs. Hence in the 60s after the pub closed people started going for a Chinese initially then Indian came about then Kebabs etc.

We went in The Fortune Inn in Worthing the other week about 9.45. I thought that was the time that people ate Chinese - you know after a few pints. There was one couple just finishing up and the staff showed us to a table quite reluctantly after having a glance at the clock. The food was ordinary but the service awful and like a fool I paid the 10% service charge which was already included on the bill. That's another thing that has crept in and pisses me off. I won't do it again. Didn't even get my mint imperial the gits.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
If I was told at just after 8 o'clock that food would stop being served at 9 then I wouldn't wait until 8:45pm to order.

Probably because ordering a shit tonne of food 15 minutes before the kitchen closes on a Saturday night just seems like a shitty move to me.

:shrug:

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Of course you would. Nonsense to stop serving at 8.45 on a Saturday night. Very reasonable to expect to be be able to get food in pubs and restaurants until at least 10 ish or so, especially at weekends.

Which is all very good in a big city/London but a provincial pub that may only have one or two chefs, and they have to be back in at 7 or 8 the following morning, it's not unreasonable to wrap things up at 9.

That said, if the OP was told 9, then he should have been able to order. Just for a little more context, were there other diners or had service petered out? If it's the latter, I suspect the chef has called it a day and not told aforementioned bar staff.

Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I deleted the post because it was just getting ridiculous, so I can't copy and paste some of the responses now but some were just bizarre, including a suggestion that I'd left it late to order on purpose to catch the pub out so I could complain (I didn't complain, I bought some crisps).

Facebook

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's something that pisses me off in this country concerning the serving of food. Served by ? Ordered by ? Just keep the customer happy and they'll come again. Piss them off in the slightest by being petty and they might never come again. Doing a HT here but it would never happen in Italy.

Yes, a real bug bear of mine at the moment.
Customer service in many places is crap.
Yesterday we had a table booked in a restaurant but we got there early and popped into a pub opposite the restaurant, 5 adults and our kid, we ordered a round of drinks and asked if we can go and sit down as the bar area was busy, it was about 6pm.
He said no, eating only.
There were so many tables that were empty and none reserved,so I said lets go and sit down anyway passing other tables with people only drinking. We sat there for about 40 minutes but the bar staff were asking people to move because they were not eating but left us alone, in that time not one person that I saw came into eat and if they did and wanted our table I would have happily moved but it was not even 7pm by then.
This sort of thing that I see on a regular basis makes my piss boil.
Regarding the food, as others have said, it's easy, food served until 9 please order up to 8:30.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If I was told at just after 8 o'clock that food would stop being served at 9 then I wouldn't wait until 8:45pm to order.

Probably because ordering a shit tonne of food 15 minutes before the kitchen closes on a Saturday night just seems like a shitty move to me.

if its such a problem that people order food at such a time on a Saturday, serve early evening only, or dont serve food at all.

Yoda

English & European
What sort of business like that would want to stop selling food on the busiest night of the week so early ? I expect the owner will be closing it down soon because of lack of customers or not enough money coming in

No chance of that happening. The Eggy is one of the busiest pubs in Worthing nowadays.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
When I went on holiday this summer (the flight was 11.55pm), I went to the weatherspoons in Gatwick at 10.30pm to be told - they'd stopped serving anything. Drinks included

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Which is all very good in a big city/London but a provincial pub that may only have one or two chefs, and they have to be back in at 7 or 8 the following morning, it's not unreasonable to wrap things up at 9.

That said, if the OP was told 9, then he should have been able to order. Just for a little more context, were there other diners or had service petered out? If it's the latter, I suspect the chef has called it a day and not told aforementioned bar staff.

The place was rammed, although I couldn't say how many people were eating as the more restaurant-y bit of the pub was the far end to where we were sitting, but I certainly could see some people eating.

As it happened, the chef who was on last night joined in the FB conversation and said she was still cooking mains around 9:00 and desserts through until 9:30.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Of course! And it wouldn't be hard for a staff member to come ask you at 8.30 or something would it if that's going to be their policy...... or to say orders until whenever (which would just mean food isn't till 9 but till say 8.30 anyway).

You're completely in the right but can't say am shocked this kind of thing happens all the time. Most people are idiots.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
who takes 44 minutes to peruse a pub menu??

It was more like half an hour - about the time it took me to drink a pint of Aspall.

We also weren't in any rush, neither of us were starving and when we went in we weren't sure what we were going to do for food, be it eat at The Egremont or go somewhere else. Finally, of course, we weren't aware there was an unspoken cut-off time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

A shitty move to order 2 (two) meals the best part of 20 minutes before I'd been told was the 'deadline'? Fair enough.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It was more like half an hour - about the time it took me to drink a pint of Aspall.

We also weren't in any rush, neither of us were starving and when we went in we weren't sure what we were going to do for food, be it eat at The Egremont or go somewhere else. Finally, of course, we weren't aware there was an unspoken cut-off time.

it took you an hour to drink a pint....?? I'm surprised the didn't throw you out.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I see this as just another example of the British workers reluctance to provide anything like customer service.

It's just the same if you ring a bank, insurance company, or fault repairer five minutes or so before the advertised closing hour. No one will pick up the phone to provide a response as they are already packing up and getting to be out the done on the dot.

You also see it with shops with the doors being closed before the closing time, and while they will deal with customers already in the shop, they don't want anymore in, in case they have to stay after the closing time to serve them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here