Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Fullers buy Dark Star

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Andy Hepworths Old is currently the best attempt in my opinion, very similar to the King & Barnes version for obvious reasons!

Not had that ( will seek it out now ) and haven’t been that fussed with most of Hepworths lighter stuff but then again I feel the same about Kissingate where it’s their darks that are their best.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Anyone down New Forest way look out for Brockenhurst Brewery, Trevor the head brewer will love to talk to you (endlessly) You can drink it in a few pubs around the area.

If it means an alternative to Ringwood, then I'm all in. Will be a tough ask to take on Vibrant Forest though.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Not had that ( will seek it out now ) and haven’t been that fussed with most of Hepworths lighter stuff but then again I feel the same about Kissingate where it’s their darks that are their best.

To clarify he was K&B's Head Brewer before those Dorset Tw*ts closed down the Horsham Brewery, he now runs a modern one between Billingshurst & Pulborough & does his best to replicate K&B style ales, as I said previously his version of Old is very good indeed.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
To clarify he was K&B's Head Brewer before those Dorset Tw*ts closed down the Horsham Brewery, he now runs a modern one between Billingshurst & Pulborough & does his best to replicate K&B style ales, as I said previously his version of Old is very good indeed.

To be incredibly pedantic, Andy was let go by Bill King before the sale to Hall & Woodhouse, with Bill assuming the head brewer role in the final year or so.

I wish I could go back in time and drink a pint of Festive.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
To be incredibly pedantic, Andy was let go by Bill King before the sale to Hall & Woodhouse, with Bill assuming the head brewer role in the final year or so.

I know Dark Stars Festival is a tribute to that beer but it’s so long back I cant really judge DS’s version against it.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I know Dark Stars Festival is a tribute to that beer but it’s so long back I cant really judge DS’s version against it.

I had some lovely pints of Festive – I remember that the Half Moon at Plumpton served it and that was probably the last time I tried it. It was one of the first beers I tried that made me think: there's something special going on here.

Though when I've talked about it to certain people in the trade they laugh and say it was a very inconsistent beer, with the recipe changing quite a bit.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I had some lovely pints of Festive – I remember that the Half Moon at Plumpton served it and that was probably the last time I tried it. It was one of the first beers I tried that made me think: there's something special going on here.

Though when I've talked about it to certain people in the trade they laugh and say it was a very inconsistent beer, with the recipe changing quite a bit.

It was popular in The Thieves Kitchen in Worthing back in the day. One of Worthing’s only pubs with The Wine Lodge where you could get a decent pint.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Wasn't aware of that - but K&Bs demise was a shambles so it doesn't surprise me!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wasn't aware of that - but K&Bs demise was a shambles so it doesn't surprise me!

And W J Kings (Bill) has ceased trading.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

I loved a pint or two of KB and when it was sold KB Sussex brewed in Dorset didn't taste the same so I switched to Harveys however used to Drink Beards down the sloop and that wasn't a bad pint.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here