Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester United v Albion, Sat 17/3 @ 19:45, allocation: 5,500, ticket discount for STHs

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Burton took just under 11,000 to Old Trafford for an FA Cup replay in January 2006. They were given two completely separate areas, namely the normal away enclosure plus the upper tier behind the goal.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
[MENTION=27032]Mr Bridger[/MENTION] - My son is working in Banff at the moment and says either Pump and Tap or Bruno's Boston Pizza. Pump and Tap can be unreliable and you have to ask for the game, especially if there are several games on.
Bruno's owner is a Man Utd fan so probably a good bet there, and cheaper drinks.

Top man, thanks for the info.
I had already looked up the pump and tap and was going to ask soon as I get out there but nice to know the other.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not sure I understand the question.I'm not suggesting the Albion would or should subsidise Man Utd tickets, I was saying:

1) Man Utd, in isolation, set the pricing for FA Cup ties at Old Trafford.
2) Derby did subsidise tickets for their third round tie for season ticket holders. They didn't have to, of course - I guess it was just a nice "thank you" to their STHs.
Is that true?

I always assumed that ticket prices for cup games had to be agreed between both clubs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure that's correct. The usual rule is that the away club can request up to 15%, but at Old Trafford this is 11%. Which is 8,500.

I don't think it's up to Man U to decide what to offer us, it's up to us to ask for what we think we can sell, up to the maximum of 8,500.

According to the FA Cup Rules we have to make the request within two days of the draw. That is - before 8pm tonight.

Interestingly, although seemingly well known and talked about - there is nothing specifically in the rules about a special dispensation at Old Trafford, just stuff about it being possible to vary the allocation if agreed with the Professional Game Board.

I think it's more down to agreements with local safety advisory groups which seemingly agree to anything the big 6 request!!!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Shocking that this question needs to be asked. Football is a cultural mainstay of the British psyche and shouldn't be allowed to be taken at from the masses by the moneymen.

With you completely. Unfortunately there is a morbid acceptance of it nowadays, as if you are a nutter for suggesting it shouldn't be this way. What's worse the younger generations and generations to come don't/won't even know any different.

#thegamesgone

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
United have a massive Irish following and that is St. Patrick's Day/Weekend. Also England v Ireland at Twickenham, which could decide the title. Counter attractions that could mean less crossing the water for what they would consider a likely routine home win

Cheltenham Festival that week too: none of them will have any money left :wink:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That was the case until a couple of years or so ago. Now it's down to the home side alone.

Ok, thanks. I hadn't realised that.

That prompts another question then. I thought Man Utd were always supposed to be one of the cheapest tickets in the the top flight. Has that changed too? Surely they won't really charge £45 for this game, will they?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That prompts another question then. I thought Man Utd were always supposed to be one of the cheapest tickets in the the top flight. Has that changed too? Surely they won't really charge £45 for this game, will they?

Away from London prices, I thought ManC were really cheap and ManU were expensive. ManU tickets come with expensive extras too such as mandatory buying of certain cup tickets

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

If they charged £45 for a third round tie against Championship opposition, I'm not sure why a quarter-final would be any cheaper.

akipling

Jan 12, 2010
Morecambe

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If they charged £45 for a third round tie against Championship opposition, I'm not sure why a quarter-final would be any cheaper.

I'm sure you're right, if they charged Udders £45 then the QF's certainly won't be any cheaper, as you say.
I had no idea how much they charged for their game at the weekend. Sorry, I'm really not keeping up here at the back, so no more questions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Even if Man U want £45, TB/PB could still subsidise that to the tune of £15 per ticket to bring it into line of with league maximum price. They'll still be quids in with a 45% share of revenue from the game, something they didn't get with the league game there. Guessing this will be a non runner though!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Even if Man U want £45, TB/PB could still subsidise that to the tune of £15 per ticket to bring it into line of with league maximum price. They'll still be quids in with a 45% share of revenue from the game, something they didn't get with the league game there. Guessing this will be a non runner though!!!

I'm not quite sure how they did the math(s) as it doesn't seem right to me, but it was estimated that Burton would make £2.5m if United sold 60,000 tickets for the League Cup game this season >>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...kes-financial-pressure-says-Nigel-Clough.html

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Not a chance of the club subsidising our tickets and you could ask the question why should they. Even with the income from the league I'm sure money is still tight for now.
£45 does seem steep but it is a cup quarter final.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not a chance of the club subsidising our tickets and you could ask the question why should they. Even with the income from the league I'm sure money is still tight for now.
£45 does seem steep but it is a cup quarter final.

I agree there isn't a chance but why shouldn't they? Reward fans that have followed the club all season especially as we could be travelling on a Friday or Monday evening! Also the fact that they could possibly get over a £1m from their share of tv and gate revenue (in 2015 Man Utd were getting an average of £5.1m per home game).

But it won't happen. Best we can hope for is a free beer and pie!!!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
At least we don’t have the added problem of Utd and City having to avoid a fixture clash and can play Saturday or Sunday.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here