Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You're right Ernest... Tory support was regularly underestimated... so it's probably more like 43-26% :thumbsup:

To be fair, I think [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] has a point here. I mean how many people, when faced with a pollster, would be able to stand the embarrassment of saying they would vote for a Corbyn-led Labour party?

There could be a fair few 'shy lefties' who may be keeping schtum until faced with a ballot box.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Those pesky students are spunking their student loans.

thats pretty impressive, if also a little suspicious - a 33% boost in membership. and £4.5m in the party, this leadership election is a handy income generator.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I joined, but after being not allowed a vote, and my local party declaring their support for Corbyn, and Eagles pulling out, I decided not to bother paying the £25. I think Labour might be done for me, I can't see anything happening now other than a Corbyn win. Completely incapable of holding the government to account and a shambolic defence of our place in Europe, not the party leader I want to associate with right now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I joined, but after being not allowed a vote, and my local party declaring their support for Corbyn, and Eagles pulling out, I decided not to bother paying the £25. I think Labour might be done for me
For now only, surely. If Corbyn leads Labour to the next election, and a massive defeat, Labour supporters will have to accept that he had his chance and it didn't work. They will also soon get fed-up with an unchallenged Tory government, and they will want Labour to be a realistic alternative again.

While I've always wanted a strong opposition in the past, maybe a weak one is not so bad while we try and get a good deal post Brexit.

synavm

May 2, 2013
They won't accept it hasn't worked, regardless of how badly 2020 goes. They'll blame it on the PLP.

But, yeah, massively down on politics at the moment. Turkeys keep voting for Christmas.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surely a strong opposition to hold them to account would be better.

There is quite enough inherent opposition in the Palace of Westminster already - a huge majority of MPs are totally against Brexit. If the government doesn't have to bother too much about Labour until they've actually got us out of the EU, that's no bad thing.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I wonder if Owen '999' Smith might jack it in like Eddie EAGLE did rather than get TROUNCED in the vote ?

I have to ask Ernest, are you a closet Tory?

I simply have to ask as I can see no logical reason for your 100% support of comrade Corbyn other than to ensure that Labour will remain a party of (inneffective) opposition for the next 10-15 years.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I have to ask Ernest, are you a closet Tory?

I simply have to ask as I can see no logical reason for your 100% support of comrade Corbyn other than to ensure that Labour will remain a party of (inneffective) opposition for the next 10-15 years.

Tory lite imitators lost the last TWO elections so what makes you think that they can win the next one ?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Tory lite imitators lost the last TWO elections so what makes you think that they can win the next one ?

It's not about where you are on the ideological spectrum it's about having a leader who looks like a leader. Like in most countries the left and right are about equal and the middle decides. May looks like a leader, Corbyn looks like he's head of sustainability (based on seniority not ability) at a hippy commune.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
For now only, surely. If Corbyn leads Labour to the next election, and a massive defeat, Labour supporters will have to accept that he had his chance and it didn't work. They will also soon get fed-up with an unchallenged Tory government, and they will want Labour to be a realistic alternative again.

While I've always wanted a strong opposition in the past, maybe a weak one is not so bad while we try and get a good deal post Brexit.

Why special conditions in this post-Brexit scenario? It's almost as if you're conceding that it constitutes a major error.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Well Labour had no chance at the last one because they chose the wrong Miliband, would have been a hung parliament at least if the other brother had been chosen. But I still ask, do you REALLY believe that JC can win a general election?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here