Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

MonkeyGland

Jul 3, 2008
I will and I'm not easily phobed off. I'll bring my tent in and say I'm not moving till it's sorted then if that doesn't work then keep an eye out for the front page of the Argus. It seems I'm in for a long fight to get this issue resolved but I'll stay the course till they relent and back down.

Thanks for the reply.

Did you manage to get it sorted? I had similar on my new bike and it went back several times to LBS but they persevered and got it sorted after trying a few things (mine ended up being a new BB)

You can. IL gave me that tip and it's what I now do for the occasional rides that I still record. If you haven't set it by default though then it's easy to forget before uploading it, and if Tricky forgets it could be catatrosphic but the sounds of it.

Cheers bud and indeed geeks one and all!! Gonna chance it if I can change privacy setting!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hope you don't mind my proud post, found out today my daughter has been chosen by British Cycling to represent the central region in the school games.

http://www.2016schoolgames.com/cycling/

It is quite a honour only four girls are pick per region, normally from the u16 category, she is a second year u14.

Mind!?

Post away I say! You must all be chuffed to bits.

Brilliant stuff! Good on her and good luck for the event.

Keep us posted on how she gets on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hope you don't mind my proud post, found out today my daughter has been chosen by British Cycling to represent the central region in the school games.

It is quite a honour only four girls are pick per region, normally from the u16 category, she is a second year u14.

Absolutely fantastic, chapeau.

Congratulations all round.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

As I type, my lad is working hard on his x-box skills. I'm well jealous. Can't imagine your level of pride.

Superb stuff.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Did you manage to get it sorted? I had similar on my new bike and it went back several times to LBS but they persevered and got it sorted after trying a few things (mine ended up being a new BB)

All sorted now thanks. It's obvious the shop have people who have no idea what they're doing. Cancelled my road bike with them as they are clueless. Shame about the weather as really want to get out :(

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I was gonna sneak out this morning to get over 50 for the weekend, but I had no appetite for it. This niggled me all day, so I got out the old MTB to do the deed. Bloody weird feeling.

Oh, I now have my post ride eggs raw. Piece of piss to prepare.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

So I have a "friend". This friend has a place for Ride London, but has done absolutely sod all training and has decided not to participate. Would anyone here be interested in taking the place?

It is an 8:10AM start, so quite late (estimated time 6 hours but they obviously didn't believe me... I mean him). I can supply the (unopened) welcome pack, plus copies of ID and a signed letter to allow the lucky participant to pick up the starter kit from the Excel ahead of the event. The window for booking transport is open for about another 10 days, which should be plenty of time, but I'm happy to help and work to book that straight away if required. The obvious downside is that you'll be competing under a different name.

I'll be up front - I'd like to recoup some of the cost of entry (which was £58), but I wouldn't feel right charging full whack. Ideally I'd like to get about £40, but if the money is an issue then I'm willing to waive or reduce it. I'd much rather the place got used by someone keen from here than went unused.

If anyone is interested, best contact me by DM and we can take it from there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So I have a "friend". This friend has a place for Ride London, but has done absolutely sod all training and has decided not to participate. Would anyone here be interested in taking the place?

It is an 8:10AM start, so quite late (estimated time 6 hours but they obviously didn't believe me... I mean him). I can supply the (unopened) welcome pack, plus copies of ID and a signed letter to allow the lucky participant to pick up the starter kit from the Excel ahead of the event. The window for booking transport is open for about another 10 days, which should be plenty of time, but I'm happy to help and work to book that straight away if required. The obvious downside is that you'll be competing under a different name.

I'll be up front - I'd like to recoup some of the cost of entry (which was £58), but I wouldn't feel right charging full whack. Ideally I'd like to get about £40, but if the money is an issue then I'm willing to waive or reduce it. I'd much rather the place got used by someone keen from here than went unused.

If anyone is interested, best contact me by DM and we can take it from there.

One of our club riders is injured and can't make it, so was offering his place. It was then mentioned that it may not be possible to pass on your place as you need photo ID and they don't want people selling places on. Apparently if you can't make the ride then they hold your place for you next year.

Not sure how much of this is true, but might be worth checking out before passing on your place to someone who might end up dissapointed.

One of our club riders is injured and can't make it, so was offering his place. It was then mentioned that it may not be possible to pass on your place as you need photo ID and they don't want people selling places on. Apparently if you can't make the ride then they hold your place for you next year.

Not sure how much of this is true, but might be worth checking out before passing on your place to someone who might end up dissapointed.

I have checked the instructions and, as in previous years, you can have someone pick up your starting pack for you. However you do need to provide a copy of ID - which is why I am offering it here, to people that I at least vaguely know, rather than to complete strangers.

While preferring you to register in person, we recognise that in some cases this may be impossible, so you can nominate someone to collect your rider documents for you.

The person you nominate must have the following: a letter written and signed by you, authorising that person – by name – to collect your rider documents. You must also sign your registration form before handing it to them AND PROVIDE THEM WITH A CLEAR PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR DRIVING LICENCE OR PASSPORT SHOWING YOUR NAME AND SIGNATURE.

While it's true that they do hold places (and if no-one here wants the place that's what I'll do), my understanding from reading the website is that you have to pay the entry fee again next year - so I'd be down a further £58. I'm also no more likely to have time to do proper training next year unfortunately :down:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have checked the instructions and, as in previous years, you can have someone pick up your starting pack for you. However you do need to provide a copy of ID - which is why I am offering it here, to people that I at least vaguely know, rather than to complete strangers.

While it's true that they do hold places (and if no-one here wants the place that's what I'll do), my understanding from reading the website is that you have to pay the entry fee again next year - so I'd be down a further £58. I'm also no more likely to have time to do proper training next year unfortunately :down:

Ok, that's worth knowing, thanks. Shame you're having to miss out though.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I've got my eyes on a rather expensive 2016 Trek for my other half, the Silque SL C(arbon). It's the only bike that meets the minimum spec I've decided she needs (which is way too high) and the colour scheme she wants (blank & pink). Does anyone know if Trek generally offer big discounts on previous year bikes, and if so when?

I found the Trek discounted in a New York shop, but not quite enough to justify a short trip there!

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Woohoo! I got a top ten on an uphill strava segment today which has more than 1,000 people on it. Oh, I was so proud, till I saw it was where you have to hop off the bike and carry it up a load of steps. Doh.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Spare a thought for [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], on his hugely anticipated L'etape he sheered off his rear derailleur which must rate as a hugely unfortunate mechanical failure...

13615144_1222564734422728_5789107254763438015_n.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spare a thought for [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], on his hugely anticipated L'etape he sheered off his rear derailleur which must rate as a hugely unfortunate mechanical failure...
Oh fook.

I'm gutted for you Pogue.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

13615144_1222564734422728_5789107254763438015_n.jpg

Cheers Bold. Hugely disappointed. I felt strong, and it was beautiful, but not to be. There you go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here