Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Denis Mortimer

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I was fairly sure that it was Worthington who Mortimer made the goals for but could be mistaken over which striker it was. If not Frank who was it?

Just checked wiki and that is right they didnt play together. Memory is playing tricks so who was the striker in 85/86?

Big Mick Ferguson?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Wasn't big Justin around about that time too?

Fashanu played 16 League games in 1985/86, scoring two goals. It was Cattlin's big gamble and it didn't pay off.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Mortimer was also a great uncle figure to the young players. I remember him mentoring Ian Chapman in his debut at the age of 15(?)

Seagull Stew

We could do with somebody like Frank Lampard not getting a new contract at Chelsea and saying he has made his money and just wants to keep playing What about somebody like David Bentley could he do the job of providing Ulloa with goal chsnces?

I was also thinking Frank Lampard would be a similar equivalent today. The trouble is in those days, even though you'd need to pay more in wages for this type of player, in terms of percentage, it wouldn't be anywhere near the same increase that you'd need to pay today. It just wouldn't be good value for money for a championship club to sign such a player, hence why more top seasoned pros don't end up dropping down the leagues anymore.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I always thought Mortimer was well past his best and don't remember him setting up too many goals. Very average player for us.

Blimey.

I thought he was brilliant.

Really nice bloke too. Met him a few times.

May 18, 2013
Wasn't he still living in Birmingham when he played for us and just trained with the rest of the players one day a week? Think that was one of the reasons Alan Mullery didn't keep him on when he took over... and he signed Dale Jasper instead!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
And Alan Biley was around as well about that time. I loved him for a while for some reason.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Mortimer was also a great uncle figure to the young players. I remember him mentoring Ian Chapman in his debut at the age of 15(?)

It won't have been Ian Chapman - he made his debut away at Birmingham in 1987, so a couple of years after Mortimer left the Albion.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Old timers will remember that we signed Denis soon after he was captain of Villa and winning the then European Cup, he made some great goals for Frank Worthington. Who is there about now with comparative skill and experience that we could perhaps bring in to help us score more goals?

Those of us who are not old timers will question whether they played in the same team together, a quick look and Hiney's excellent programme site suggests Mortimer joined the season after Worthington

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Closest thing to Worthington is probably Berbatov and for Mortimer mmmmm thats a bit motre tricky...English European cup winning midfielder, who controls a game....Carrick I suppose.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Those of us who are not old timers will question whether they played in the same team together, a quick look and Hiney's excellent programme site suggests Mortimer joined the season after Worthington

From memory I think this is correct. Mortimer played one full season and im sure it was after Worthington went to Tranmere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here