Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

gus poyet

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Really? I would imagine Charlie gets paid pretty well and he's been all over the world and worked in the Premier league and La Liga. Would he had managed that if Poyet hadn't have taken him on?

I'm not sure 11 games in La Liga classes as 'working' in the league. Even Gary Neville got more games

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Silly man - the Amex was set up for him. Pitch to his specs and all the rest of it - he could have had a job here for life. His ego just got in the way of everything. Look where we are today and look at where he is

No, football management doesn't work like that. A lack of investment for a time, a bad batch of signings, missing out on key targets, a bad run of injuries to key players. Whatever it is that happens, and probably a combination of things, but a bad run of results comes along and it is an easier solution to change the manager rather than all of the players. With very, very few exceptions, that is what always happens in the end. Easy to look back and say he had a "job for life" but he didn't, and sadly, nor does Chris. It's a brutal business.

Ego. Yeah, played it's part, but we needed that ego to burst through the door when it did. It was that ego, and arrogance which infected the players and made them almost instantly better players when he walked in with us staring at the bottom end of League One. Ultimately, we had two big egos in the club in him and Tony, both of whom I love and have a lot to thank them for, but it's hard to ignore that those egos had explosive possibilities and when that happens there was only ever one winner. Job for life? Nah, they were a cocktail that was always going to blow at some point.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Really? I would imagine Charlie gets paid pretty well and he's been all over the world and worked in the Premier league and La Liga. Would he had managed that if Poyet hadn't have taken him on?

Very much doubt it. He's seen as part of the Poyet package, and he doesn't strike me as having a reputation that would see him highly sought after as a coach (not to say he's rubbish- I haven't a clue- but he's not somebody talked about as a potential manager as far as I'm aware). Can't imagine clubs will be queuing up to offer him a job in his own right, unless it's for some sort of sentimental connection (i.e. QPR).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
How we have moved on since the moaning disloyal scroate was manager.

Yes, and winning the First Division at a canter and then taking us in to the upper echelons of the Championship and the playoffs counts for nothing.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Oscar Garcia? Winner of two consecutive doubles in Austria and current manager of 4th place in Ligue 1 St Etienne?

The same manager who walked out on Maccabi Tel Aviv after two games? Followed up by walking out on Watford after 4 games?. Yep. more unstable than Poyet like i said.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Seems a bit harsh. Did the decent thing and offered resignation after play off defeat.

Read post 29. Not harsh at all

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Very much doubt it. He's seen as part of the Poyet package, and he doesn't strike me as having a reputation that would see him highly sought after as a coach (not to say he's rubbish- I haven't a clue- but he's not somebody talked about as a potential manager as far as I'm aware). Can't imagine clubs will be queuing up to offer him a job in his own right, unless it's for some sort of sentimental connection (i.e. QPR).

My thoughts exactly.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The same manager who walked out on Maccabi Tel Aviv after two games? Followed up by walking out on Watford after 4 games?. Yep more unstable than Poyet like i said.

Tel Aviv where there was at the time multiple rocket attacks by Palestinians (July 2014 was one of the worst periods for this in years), or Watford where he was admitted to hospital with a heart problem, then offered his resignation as he was too ill to work every day, as is required of a football manager?

Pretty harsh to label either of those as mental instability frankly.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I think Gus probably thought he had earned enough of the Chinese million and decided time was right to come home with a millions in the bank! For all his faults I will always look back at his time a manager here fondly!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
His personality is the reason he was a top player but also his downfall as a manager. Selfish desire to win at the expense of everyone/everything around him. He's happy all the while he's calling the shots and totally destructive when things don't go his way. I always thought Shanghai was a terrible move for him. Imagine those boardroom meetings :ohmy:

Without Gus though, we could very well have been right up shit creek today. Playing League 1 football in a half empty, unfinished Amex. He was the first step in the transformation of our club. That day we passed our way around Charlton like they weren't there is IMO one of the biggest turning points of our club and it's (almost) all down to Gus.

He's a bit of a nutter and he definitely royally ballsed up at the end of his time here. But that's Gus. I'll always be thankful for what he gave us.. even if he can be a bit of a knobhead.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The same manager who walked out on Maccabi Tel Aviv after two games? Followed up by walking out on Watford after 4 games?. Yep. more unstable than Poyet like i said.
He left Watford because of a heart issue which required time off work. Re-writing this misfortune as mental instability is a bit harsh.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Tel Aviv where there was at the time multiple rocket attacks by Palestinians (July 2014 was one of the worst periods for this in years), or Watford where he was admitted to hospital with a heart problem, then offered his resignation as he was too ill to work every day, as is required of a football manager?

Pretty harsh to label either of those as mental instability frankly.

Oh please you are not going to swallow that gaff about rockets are you ? He spent a year there before,

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think Poyet definitely helped create a real identity for the club, not least on the pitch for a style of play, and I'll always have good memories of much of that period.

It's a real shame, and a bit of a cautionary tale, how he allowed ego to f**k it all up. And while he might not admit it, he will be looking at Hughton leading the team in the Premier League thinking 'that could/should have been me, I royally screwed up there'.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
He left Watford because of a heart issue which required time off work. Re-writing this misfortune as mental instability is a bit harsh.

I agree. But his cv of leaving jobs early beats Poyet. Think people forget that.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Oh please you are not going to swallow that gaff about rockets are you ? He spent a year there before,

Yes, he did.

In 2013 a total of 70 rockets or mortars were fired from Palestine in to Israel, source

In July and August 2014 3,839 rockets and mortars were fired from Palestine in to Israel, source

Let's say you have a young family, like Oscar does. Do you A. show mental instability by leaving your football managers job after two games? or B. show right minded thinking by living in a war zone with your young family? Remember you were a professional footballer for arguably the biggest team in the world so you are not short of money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here