Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t Tesco broadband sold off to talktalk.. alternatives?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Have a basic line rental and unlimited b/band with Tesco , and rather wary of TT taking over (higher costs, poor reputation..)

anyone have a good setup, elsewhere?

A Tesco, Talk Talk, Sky, Post Office, You name it, broadband is a BT Openreach line with a different call centre. The only 'real' alternative is Virgin media.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Virgin have the best broadband by miles. Not the cheapest of course, but you get what you pay for.
We've had Talk Talk broadband for years, signed up when they were offering it free and we still haven't paid a penny for it.
It's been brilliant, never had a problem.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Have a basic line rental and unlimited b/band with Tesco , and rather wary of TT taking over (higher costs, poor reputation..)

anyone have a good setup, elsewhere?

I'm with TalkTalk. The actual cost plus quality of broadband speed and reliability I receive from TalkTalk isn't that bad where I live, although I am only about a mile from the local exchange. I've never had it crash on me and be without service. The people I know who are with Virgin and have been without broadband for hours or longer though?

The problems start when you have to deal with their call centre when they have screwed up your billing, or want you to do something as basic as a change of address, or as I had to do last year, deal with the closure of my late Mothers account. They are a nightmare.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I was with Tiscali which was then taken over by Talk Talk,no problems at all,great phone package which includes 0845 and 0870 and all other calls excepting mobiles, including a number of International countries 24/7.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Used to Have BT. Been with Talktalk for about a year, much, much cheaper than BT, it hasn't dropped out once. It comes through exactly the same kit as did my BT account, same cable, exchange and cabinet as BT. Probably a slightly better constant speed as well.
Because it's part of Carphone warehouse they do good deals on mobiles along with your broadband. It'll be even bigger now with the Tesco stuff, Charlie Dunstan will be able to buy a new racing yacht.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Used to Have BT. Been with Talktalk for about a year, much, much cheaper than BT, it hasn't dropped out once. It comes through exactly the same kit as did my BT account, same cable, exchange and cabinet as BT. Probably a slightly better constant speed as well.
Because it's part of Carphone warehouse they do good deals on mobiles along with your broadband. It'll be even bigger now with the Tesco stuff, Charlie Dunstan will be able to buy a new racing yacht.

Carphone Warehouse and Talk Talk have been separate entities since 2010. Carphone Warehouse became part of the Dixons Retail Group last year.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Virgin have the best broadband by miles. Not the cheapest of course, but you get what you pay for.
And also what you don't pay for, like the two or three free line speed upgrades I've had so far.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Surely each ISP manages it's own servers and the traffic that passes through them?

Each service provider will have its own central network (I.e what causes slowness at peak times if it's undersized) plus radius logging (which links www.Bigjugs.com back your tel number) plus a call centre. Even that is shared though. BT will often be the SP even if it is branded as something else.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Carphone Warehouse and Talk Talk have been separate entities since 2010. Carphone Warehouse became part of the Dixons Retail Group last year.

Still all Dunstone babies.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Interesting, thanks. I might give Plusnet a call and ask them what they do, out of curiosity.

Plusnet has been part of BT since 2007 , still confuses some folk in Yorkshire who think they're getting "Yorkie" broadband.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I believe Aldi are considering introducing a phone/internet option, It's called " You Vil Talk Talk "

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Ahh i see, this is the problem i had with Talk Talk (who inherited me as a legacy customer). Around 3pm during the week my connection got messy on Xbox Live. After speaking with a technical bod i found out that they would manage (throttle) the bandwidth during high usage peak periods. I have just switched to Plusnet fibre who reckon their policy is to prioritise gaming traffic on the network. This remains to be seen in a few weeks when they install the new face plate on my phone line and switch over from TT. I did have a good offer from TT to upgrade to fibre but thought better of it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Ahh i see, this is the problem i had with Talk Talk (who inherited me as a legacy customer). Around 3pm during the week my connection got messy on Xbox Live. After speaking with a technical bod i found out that they would manage (throttle) the bandwidth during high usage peak periods. I have just switched to Plusnet fibre who reckon their policy is to prioritise gaming traffic on the network. This remains to be seen in a few weeks when they install the new face plate on my phone line and switch over from TT. I did have a good offer from TT to upgrade to fibre but thought better of it.

Prioritise gaming traffic? Itchy beard is all I can say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here