Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goalkeeper's Gloves - what to buy?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I need to buy a pair of goalkeeper's gloves for a tournament my group are playing in.

We usually go the whole hog and pinch a keeper from a neighbouring team, and he brings his own gloves. Unfortunately, the other team are playing in the same tournament...

We don't have a goalie, so we'll just take turns at conceding silly goals, but I don't want our lot to blame me for not supplying the required equipment.

What should I be looking for? Do they have some sort of reinforcement or sticky pads? Can I get something reasonable for £20-30, and is there a one-size-fits-all-blokes option?

Thanks.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I need to buy a pair of goalkeeper's gloves for a tournament my group are playing in.

We usually go the whole hog and pinch a keeper from a neighbouring team, and he brings his own gloves. Unfortunately, the other team are playing in the same tournament...

We don't have a goalie, so we'll just take turns at conceding silly goals, but I don't want our lot to blame me for not supplying the required equipment.

What should I be looking for? Do they have some sort of reinforcement or sticky pads? Can I get something reasonable for £20-30, and is there a one-size-fits-all-blokes option?

Thanks.

Plenty of cheap pairs on Amazon: http://https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dsports&field-keywords=goalkeeper+gloves&rh=n%3A318949011%2Ck%3Agoalkeeper+gloves

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
191fea3a842c9ba3d29b3a1a639765d5.jpg

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I used to be a keeper and swore by Sondico. I know a couple of lads who wear the Adidas Fingersaves.

However, the main brands such as Nike, Adidas and so on will be fine unless you're looking at a pretty decent level of football. You don't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut - just something with decent grip!

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I used to be a keeper and swore by Sondico. I know a couple of lads who wear the Adidas Fingersaves.

However, the main brands such as Nike, Adidas and so on will be fine unless you're looking at a pretty decent level of football. You don't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut - just something with decent grip!

Thanks. Definitely not a decent level of football!

Grip and protection are the main requirements. They seem to have velcro wristbands, which will help with sizes.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Thanks, but as above, I really want to know what to look for, not just what's cheap.

Nearly all pairs will do the job. Cheap pair will be fine if you are sharing them around - check hand size though. I play all year round on astro so usually get a pair with a bit of finger protection, cheapest brands go for around £30. pair usually last me a year playing twice a week.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Nearly all pairs will do the job. Cheap pair will be fine if you are sharing them around - check hand size though. I play all year round on astro so usually get a pair with a bit of finger protection, cheapest brands go for around £30. pair usually last me a year playing twice a week.

Great, thanks.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

Jul 7, 2003
https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/lists/goalkeeper-gloves-sale.aspx

Sells, Reusch or Uhlsport are all fine producers of keepers gloves. Adidas and Nike have never been producers of great keepers gloves but trade on their name. The stuff in the ProDirect sale are usually last years range which is why they are discounted.

Make sure you get the right size or even slightly bigger than needed. Check the gloves against the surface you are playing on / ball type. If playing on astroturf or indoor then you want different gloves to grass.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

Sells, Reusch or Uhlsport are all fine producers of keepers gloves. Adidas and Nike have never been producers of great keepers gloves but trade on their name. The stuff in the ProDirect sale are usually last years range which is why they are discounted.

Make sure you get the right size or even slightly bigger than needed. Check the gloves against the surface you are playing on / ball type. If playing on astroturf or indoor then you want different gloves to grass.

Really helpful, many thanks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For 5 a side you want something with spines / fingersafe. Grip is more or less irrelevant for 5 a side. Getting the ball away is more important than trying to hold it - especially as your keepers are going to be beginners. Sondico fingersafe will always be in stock at Sports Direct. Will always be ‘half price’ so £15 - £24 depending on the model you choose.

If they need to fit a range of adults, I’d guess buy size 9 or 10.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford

Thanks.

Best gloves out there for me are AK Keeping, cheap as chips too. Take a look https://www.akkeeping.co.uk/shop

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
For 5 a side you want something with spines / fingersafe. Grip is more or less irrelevant for 5 a side. Getting the ball away is more important than trying to hold it - especially as your keepers are going to be beginners. Sondico fingersafe will always be in stock at Sports Direct. Will always be ‘half price’ so £15 - £24 depending on the model you choose.

If they need to fit a range of adults, I’d guess buy size 9 or 10.

Thanks, hoping to pop into SD tomorrow.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004

This - prodirect sales page. Sells are great

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here