Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Have we just accepted terrorist attacks as a way of life now?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Is this the new norm?

Hardly gets a passing mention on the BBC website, tucked away in the minor headlines.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-46147581

The new norm is these assholes acting as a lone wolf, whereas years back, the terroist of choice, at least gave you a sporting chance, by giving you a phone call.
We all just get used to it these days, some random acting out because of some ill concieved thought, of a greater afterlife.
Accept as a way of life, yes.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
We have to accept them as they aren't going to stop altogether. Frankly I'd rather there wasn't saturation 24 hour rolling news of every attack, as it just gives them the publicity they crave. Look at Daesh, shrinking into irrelevance in Syria now, no more beheading videos etc. If the lack of publicity reduces the threat, seems to me the way to go.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
To answer your questions, no and no. Terrorist attacks are still incredibly rare compared to other types of murders.

This is not getting much media attention because it is just one victim fatality on the other side of the globe. It is only even in the news because Australia is fairly relevant to us.

That's just nonsense.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Is this the new norm?

Hardly gets a passing mention on the BBC website, tucked away in the minor headlines.

This one has been reported all day on the BBC radio news so it has been closely followed compared to most terrorist attacks many of which aren't reported at all.

Just this month for example 7 people were killed whilst on a pilgrimage in Egypt, 15 people were killed in arson attacks on villages in Nigeria and 5 people were killed when a bus was blown up in India. None of these was reported on the radio and I can't find them on the BBC website.

I think if anything the attack in Australian has been over-reported in comparison to other similar attacks elsewhere.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's just nonsense.

about spot on i reckon. as noted in post above, politically motivated attacks happen regularly across the world and we dont hear because they are of little/no interest. to get attention an attack needs either numbers or proximity (culturally or geographically).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Is this the new norm?

I don't think its a new norm, its just the norm. There have been terrorist attacks as long as I've been alive, 45 years now. Back then it was the IRA, then it was Al Qaeda for a bit, now its IS, and I'm sure there'll be more groups in future.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't think its a new norm, its just the norm. There have been terrorist attacks as long as I've been alive, 45 years now. Back then it was the IRA, then it was Al Qaeda for a bit, now its IS, and I'm sure there'll be more groups in future.

The IRA in this country but other groups like Black September who attacked Israeli athletes in the Munich Olympic village.

There are always some terrorist attacks going on somewhere in the world as [MENTION=30352]McTavish[/MENTION] has pointed out. It is a way of life, unfortunately.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The new norm is these assholes acting as a lone wolf, whereas years back, the terroist of choice, at least gave you a sporting chance, by giving you a phone call.
We all just get used to it these days, some random acting out because of some ill concieved thought, of a greater afterlife.
Accept as a way of life, yes.

The old style terrorist also used to play the odds in favour of his survival. When they genuinely don't care what happens to themselves ( Twin Towers) then its deadly serious.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
This wasn't a terrorist attack. It was an absolute moron kicking off. I wouldn't even class the shootings in America as terrorist acts, they're just examples a person losing their grip on reality and slaughtering a number of people. It's murder, not terrorism. It's one of the world's only constants.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Is this the new norm?

As others have said - it's not the 'new norm' - it's the 'has been for a long, long time norm'.
The main thing that has changed is simply the reporting of such events. On the one hand you have live 24-hr news reporting, in all it's different forms. On the other hand you have a feedback loop where news sites (such as the BBC) get tremendous insight into what kind of story gets people's attention - so those are the stories that get the main headlines, which generates more attention, which pushes more of those stories to the top - a self-sustaining loop.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This one has been reported all day on the BBC radio news so it has been closely followed compared to most terrorist attacks many of which aren't reported at all.

Just this month for example 7 people were killed whilst on a pilgrimage in Egypt, 15 people were killed in arson attacks on villages in Nigeria and 5 people were killed when a bus was blown up in India. None of these was reported on the radio and I can't find them on the BBC website.

I think if anything the attack in Australian has been over-reported in comparison to other similar attacks elsewhere.

How many thousand Americans are shot dead by each other each year ? it usually needs upwards of 5 casualties per incident to warrant a mention these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here