Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Hughton Out" on Radio 5 Live

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Until the home win over West Ham on 3rd February, there was three months of gloom and moaning about CH, which also resurfaced for 2 months after the Arsenal win. A typical argument was that Bmuff and Hudd have a good go each each match, some saying they'd prefer that over their perception of CH's football.

A couple of key things this season; we miss Gross, plus several opponents have gone mad spending £100m plus on quality, making those matches far harder than they would've been otherwise. West Ham, Fulham, Wolves and Everton have spent like there's no tomorrow. At the moment, our sensible money approach means that we're unable to match these clubs in midfield and creativity. CH has had to go about gaining points with a pragmatic approach.

I don't live in Brighton and I had zero expectations last year, so maybe I just didn't get that same feel. I certainly never felt the doom and gloom. But I also didn't see anywhere near as much negativity from the team in the home performances I saw last year

I agree we miss Gross, although I think that Gross did relies on us being higher up the pitch - without movement and pace around him, he struggles to really influence games. But maybe CH feels that, without his creativity, we don't have enough of a link to Murray to justify pushing the team higher up the pitch...

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Well, it took a few days but once the keyboard warriors got their responses off their chests some interesting points appear to have been made.

I still stand by what I said - I’m happy with what Hughton has done so far and there probably isn’t anyone better out there right now but I’ve watched us passing up opportunities to attack on the counter and I do worry that his cautious approach may start to become a problem.

I accept that my initial question might have sounded a bit daft but I hoped that I would be kept on long enough to expand my point and just suggest that maybe the premier league isn’t as tough as we thought it might be (except against the obvious big boys) and perhaps we can be a bit bolder and not just settle for scraps.

Unfortunately none of that happened and I just ended up looking a bit of a dick.

Oh well, I’ll live. See you all at Huddersfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well, it took a few days but once the keyboard warriors got their responses off their chests some interesting points appear to have been made.

I still stand by what I said - I’m happy with what Hughton has done so far and there probably isn’t anyone better out there right now but I’ve watched us passing up opportunities to attack on the counter and I do worry that his cautious approach may start to become a problem.

I accept that my initial question might have sounded a bit daft but I hoped that I would be kept on long enough to expand my point and just suggest that maybe the premier league isn’t as tough as we thought it might be (except against the obvious big boys) and perhaps we can be a bit bolder and not just settle for scraps.

Unfortunately none of that happened and I just ended up looking a bit of a dick.

Keyboard warriors / Callers into 606.

There isn't much difference as I'm sure you have learned.

Just to confirm again. Recognised you immediately from Withdrawn and have seen you at many many away.

All the best, onwards and upwards.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Perhaps you do have some valid points but once you decided to use replacing Hughton as the key to getting them aired, you were on a hiding to nothing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perhaps you do have some valid points but once you decided to use replacing Hughton as the key to getting them aired, you were on a hiding to nothing
For some bizarre reason I found myself listening to 6-0-6, the week before last, I guess there wasn't enough things wrong with my life at that moment.
Anyhoo the entire section I listened to was rabid fans demanding the sacking of managers, I was convinced the only way you could get on air was the TalkSpite approach of being a dickhead so the dickheads could turn on you.

Had our dickhead called and said he wanted to speak to Sav (fook knows why) about and just suggest that maybe the premier league isn’t as tough as we thought it might be (except against the obvious big boys) and perhaps we can be a bit bolder and not just settle for scraps he wouldn't have even got on.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Had our dickhead called and said he wanted to speak to Sav (fook knows why) about and just suggest that maybe the premier league isn’t as tough as we thought it might be (except against the obvious big boys) and perhaps we can be a bit bolder and not just settle for scraps he wouldn't have even got on.

That was his explanation but there's no logic whatsoever to thinking "I've got a good point to make but in order to do so I have to totally discredit myself first". Obviously the point he (claims to have) wanted to make is totally lost

It's getting a bit boring now ... hopefully we go out Saturday and take the game by the scruff of the neck, otherwise this thread could run and run

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
As previously mentioned, according to Naylor, Connelly looks like going out on loan,.... and using previous examples, that will be the last we see of him at the Amex.... sad, to me he was looking like a real contender.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As previously mentioned, according to Naylor, Connelly looks like going out on loan,.... and using previous examples, that will be the last we see of him at the Amex.... sad, to me he was looking like a real contender.

So if we loan him out and he scores a load of goals and proves he is developing into a top player that will be the last we see of him because we have a stubborn policy of refusing to bring youth through. Yes that must be inevitable. :facepalm:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So if we loan him out and he scores a load of goals and proves he is developing into a top player that will be the last we see of him because we have a stubborn policy of refusing to bring youth through.

edited - HUMOUR failure on my part so deleted my nonsense.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on. There's a difference between (rightly) saying Hughton is cautious about offering the likes of Sanders, Connolly chances even in cups. Fair play.
But Albion have "a stubborn policy of refusing to bring youth through".
Well we currently have 2 first choice players who've come through our set up for starters so that policy must be flouted quite a bit Andrew that multi million pound investment in our academy must be a right old waste of ££ if we're going to refuse to develop them.
You do realize Bold was sarcastically answering Heathgate, or didn't your 'protect the club' alarm point out the difference?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Come on. There's a difference between (rightly) saying Hughton is cautious about offering the likes of Sanders, Connolly chances even in cups. Fair play.
But Albion have "a stubborn policy of refusing to bring youth through".
Well we currently have 2 first choice players who've come through our set up for starters so that policy must be flouted quite a bit Andrew that multi million pound investment in our academy must be a right old waste of ££ if we're going to refuse to develop them..

I know you've backtracked now, but are you including Solly March as one of your two?
[MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] is the man for this detail, but wasn't Solly in Palace's academy until 13ish and then with Lewes until we picked him up.

As such, did Solly really "come through our set up"?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I know you've backtracked now, but are you including Solly March as one of your two?
[MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] is the man for this detail, but wasn't Solly in Palace's academy until 13ish and then with Lewes until we picked him up.

As such, did Solly really "come through our set up"?

Yes agreed . Although he’s obviously also a youth player that we persevered with which is the general point.
But of course it’s slim pickings however you put it in last decade.
And apologies again for my sour start to the day !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here