Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crystal Palace winger says he was sent death threats after Arsenal draw

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't think being racially abused is "part and parcel of being famous". Racial abuse is wrong at all times.
Look, the guy is a massive **** and a diving cheat, but rascist abuse!? Some people need to sort themselves out.

No, you (and others) are missing the point. No one's condoning and yes plenty of people 'need to sort themselves out' but it IS part and parcel of being famous/infamous today (you mean you don't think it's right, which it obviously isn't). And best ignored because nothing, no amount of condemnation etc, will prevent some people sending abuse and threats in today's digital world. And for the umpteenth time for those who still aren't getting no one is condoning. Just ignoring.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There is a big difference between imagining that Zaha is in real danger (at one end of the spectrum) and condoning the 'threats and abuse' on the other. Nobody is suggesting that they like the little fella or that he is in real danger. However threats and racism can't be condoned. That's all there is to it, surely?

No one's condoning. Just ignore.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Another one who is maybe letting his Palace hatred get the better of him BUT

Whenever somebody said something horrible about Brighton it attracted a load of attention on twitter within our fan base, when somebody made a snide comment about Knockaerts dad the tweet blows up and ends up receiving 100’s of replies from not just Brighton fans but football fans in general. When people say horrible stuff about players from other clubs you often see the replies & arguments that follow it on twitter.

Has anybody seen one death threat or racist tweet aimed at Zaha? Has anybody seen a single screenshot of a tweet? In fact, if you search on twitter for “@WilfredZaha die” there is ONE result and it’s a Palace fan from 2013 saying he’ll love him until he dies, or something. Searching for “Zaha wish die” returns 3 results for the weekend with a combined 0 replies, 0 retweets & 2 likes. All of the tweets from people with less than 300 followers. ”Zaha n*gger” again returns 3 results from the weekend. At least one of the tweets is by another black person.

Now, don’t get me wrong that’s still not great but unless Zaha has been actively searching for abuse and death threats then I really don’t see where he’s getting them. You can’t seriously tell me someone with 800,000 followers is scrolling through DM’s from people he doesn’t know on his day off? So where is the racist abuse and death threats? They’ve got to be somewhere :shrug:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Mr Tumble in attention seeking whinge mode. :shrug: Should concentrate on playing football instead.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
"Can't be arsed to explain to someone dumb enough...." - thanksvgorvthe compliment. I'm not daft enough to think there are loads of people marching South London as we speak with the intention of doing Mr Z in. But famous people do get murdered. John Lennon for example. And there was a case a few years ago in Devon of someone being arrested on their way to murder a female singer.... was it Joss Stone.

Sorry, I didn't actually mean you, poorly phrased. Anyway, actual murders, neither 'alerted' said celebrities in advance via twitter etc. Big difference between the scores of teenager warriors reacting after the final whistle with their e-abuse; and somebody cognitively unbalanced enough (as JL's murderer was) to kill someone.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
"Look at me! Look at me!".

Hundreds of players get disgraceful abuse on social media every day. It's wrong and the racist, homophobic, anything over the line stuff should be reported and dealt with.

Most players see it as part of being massively paid and being in the public eye where anyone who says or does anything will be targeted by dicks.

Politicians, pop stars, actors. They all get it.

Zaha is a whining, cheating little girl who can't take ANYTHING.

Couldn't cut it at Man U "They didn't buy me a car WAAAAHHH!".

His diving wasn't fancied by England managers "Well go away cos I'm going to play for Ivory Coast instead you nasty men. WAAAAHHH!".

Dives constantly and nobody gets sent off for it "Why aren't I getting protected by referees?! WAAAAHHH!!!?!!?".

Dives yet again and gets grief on social media "It's not fair! Only I could be abused like this by these racists!!!! WAAAAHHH!!!!!! (Oh by the way I'm loaded because Palace pay me unbelievably stupid amounts of money, look at my car)".

What an absolute ****ing prick.

You're way off the mark there.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
This thread is weird.

My opinion on Zaha is that he is an absolutely quality footballer. His love of Palace is admirable but he needs to shut his mouth a little and rise above the criticism he faces.

If you're the type of player who goes down easily, runs at players in the box and wins tons of penalties every year, just don't say ANYTHING. Keep doing what you're doing and enjoy your life. You're not going to get more protection from referees if you ask for it. You're going to get the shit kicked out of you and have the spotlight fixed on every move you make. Just... keep.... quiet.

But in this day and age of player branding and social media I don't think certain people are capable of that. They need that recognition. Zaha loves being loved. It's obvious.

That said.

Racial abuse and threats to his family are absolutely something he make public. Name and shame. That is not "whinging" that's not "look at me". It's disgusting. He doesn't help himself at times but he doesn't deserve this because he dives and whinges. Does Knocky deserve the abuse he got because he ran past the Wednesday fans with his tongue out? Does Bong deserve the abuse he got because he earns well? No of course not.

Personality doesn't matter. There's no place for this in modern society. Ever.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Some of the usual suspects letting their rabid hatred of all things Palace to cloud their rational thinking.
Disappointing, but not surprised.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Death threats and racism are totally unacceptable. Just stick to calling him what he is and that is a blatant cheat.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I really wonder sometimes. Banter and Zaha's diving reputation aside, seriously anyone who really thinks this is anything other than disgusting. Seriously? Grow up. It's a game of football at the end of the day, and there's some tw@ts out there. But saying its just on the internet/comes with the job/stop diving and it wouldnt happen.blah blah he deserves it or should expect it. Really??

You've missed the point being made:

Yes - some people think it isn't disgusting. They're called trolls, racists, keyboard warriors etc. And they never 'grow up.' That's part of the point being made. Indeed, you then support this sad fact of life in your following statement - "there's some t**** out there". Correct. There are. And you get through life generally by ignoring them. Finally, I believe it is, sadly, part of being high profile today and to be expected. Again, this is different to condoning or believing it's ok. But the only definitive solution would be to switch the internet off which won't happen either so given it's easier to ignore these 'wanna-be killers' who never carry out their e-threats rather than further fuel their abuse by drawing attention to it, he's better off simply ignoring.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This thread is weird.

My opinion on Zaha is that he is an absolutely quality footballer. His love of Palace is admirable but he needs to shut his mouth a little and rise above the criticism he faces.

If you're the type of player who goes down easily, runs at players in the box and wins tons of penalties every year, just don't say ANYTHING. Keep doing what you're doing and enjoy your life. You're not going to get more protection from referees if you ask for it. You're going to get the shit kicked out of you and have the spotlight fixed on every move you make. Just... keep.... quiet.

But in this day and age of player branding and social media I don't think certain people are capable of that. They need that recognition. Zaha loves being loved. It's obvious.

That said.

Racial abuse and threats to his family are absolutely something he make public. Name and shame. That is not "whinging" that's not "look at me". It's disgusting. He doesn't help himself at times but he doesn't deserve this because he dives and whinges. Does Knocky deserve the abuse he got because he ran past the Wednesday fans with his tongue out? Does Bong deserve the abuse he got because he earns well? No of course not.

Personality doesn't matter. There's no place for this in modern society. Ever.

Spot on.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Some of the usual suspects letting their rabid hatred of all things Palace to cloud their rational thinking.

That's just rubbish frankly. Who are the usual suspects? Where is the 'rabid' hatred on this thread? You Sir, are being a tad dramatic and its precisely because of rational thinking that I would choose to ignore online abuse and 'threats' from strangers if I was a talented footballer and had millions of followers on a digital platform. Or switch it off. Both are definitely easier.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
i expect he is exaggerating.

He prob had a few kids message him on twitter calling him a cheat etc and he's made an absolute meal of it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's one thing when the crowd at the match is booing an opposition player, or shouting abuse on the lines of 'cheat' or 'w@nker', but there is no excuse or justification for racial abuse or threatening a player's family. That's despicable.
I'd be interested to know through what medium these threats were made, and which medium Zaha used for his replies - just from what I've read in that BBC article he seems to be replying and arguing back, which in itself is probably not the wisest thing to do - feeding the trolls and all that. I do suspect, however, that this is a case of internet trolling -which brings me to my point. Wouldn't it be a good idea for young footballers (some of whom won't always make the most mature decisions) to have it in their contracts not to go on social media at all, period. I know youngsters are pretty addicted to the mobile phones, Whatsap, Instagram, Twitter and lord knows what else - but for £40K, £80K, £100K or whatever they are getting per week would it be too much to ask? There's other ways of keeping in touch with families and friends, ffs!

I mean, how much a week would you take to stop using NSC? £50K a week and I'd certainly close my account here and now (smaller offers may be considered)!

Another one who is maybe letting his Palace hatred get the better of him BUT

Whenever somebody said something horrible about Brighton it attracted a load of attention on twitter within our fan base, when somebody made a snide comment about Knockaerts dad the tweet blows up and ends up receiving 100’s of replies from not just Brighton fans but football fans in general. When people say horrible stuff about players from other clubs you often see the replies & arguments that follow it on twitter.

Has anybody seen one death threat or racist tweet aimed at Zaha? Has anybody seen a single screenshot of a tweet? In fact, if you search on twitter for “@WilfredZaha die” there is ONE result and it’s a Palace fan from 2013 saying he’ll love him until he dies, or something. Searching for “Zaha wish die” returns 3 results for the weekend with a combined 0 replies, 0 retweets & 2 likes. All of the tweets from people with less than 300 followers. ”Zaha n*gger” again returns 3 results from the weekend. At least one of the tweets is by another black person.

Now, don’t get me wrong that’s still not great but unless Zaha has been actively searching for abuse and death threats then I really don’t see where he’s getting them. You can’t seriously tell me someone with 800,000 followers is scrolling through DM’s from people he doesn’t know on his day off? So where is the racist abuse and death threats? They’ve got to be somewhere :shrug:

I understand it was on Instagram.

Bobby Zamora received death threats when talk was of him going to Palace. Was it from Brighton or Palace? Who knows?
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/football-zamoras-death-threats-545583

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Genuine question; have you seen any of the death threats or racist abuse?

Anything on twitter, anything shared on BBS, a screenshot... anything. Just seems weird that everyone is agreement that this 100% happened when numerous Palace fans were very happy to call Bong a liar for potentially reporting racist abuse at the start of the year.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Zaha is awful but I think you've let Palace hatred get the better of you with this post. He's absolutely right to speak out if he's the target of racist abuse, no player should have to just see it as part of the job.

Yeah. Or the whole death threat thing. I'd say that is probably worse, but maybe not in this bizarre 2018 world.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I understand it was on Instagram.

Bobby Zamora received death threats when talk was of him going to Palace. Was it from Brighton or Palace? Who knows?
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/football-zamoras-death-threats-545583

If it was on Instagram it still leaves you with two possibilities.

It was public in which case where are the screenshots?

It was private which meant Zaha has to go in to a separate inbox to find messages from people who he doesn’t follow. So going out of his way to find abuse.

Leaves me in the same place personally

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If it was on Instagram it still leaves you with two possibilities.

It was public in which case where are the screenshots?

It was private which meant Zaha has to go in to a separate inbox to find messages from people who he doesn’t follow. So going out of his way to find abuse.

Leaves me in the same place personally

People often post something and then delete it when called out on it. Who says he hasn't got a screenshot?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here