Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Corbyn's reaction to the election.
0f2ec03fed98f06bc09e1b7cb0e3cc28.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So happy the elite have had a big fat slap in the face! Hopefully people will realise you shouldn't believe everything you read in the papers!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
The good news about the Conservatives teaming up with DUP is that DUP want entry to the single market and free movement from any Brexit negotiation, so it appears this is going to be a soft Brexit which is obviously not as good as no Brexit, but much better than what could have been.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm not sure how you determine "belong" here. The closest way of measuring it that I can think of is a General Election that was held yesterday. In that the Conservative party received 13,616,601 which was the most of any party and 318 seats, also the most of any party.

How are you measuring belong in this instance?

Just a personal opinion.
If another election is called in the near future I would hope that the movement towards labour continues and moves the Tories to the other side of the chamber, where I believe they belong as they are not fit to govern this country.
I am still struggling to believe that so many people still think that the failed Tory austerity polices are a good thing.
I know you like your stats and that's fair enough but although happy with last night I would have liked to have seen Labour sneak over the line and get the awful Tories out.

larus

I really don't get all of this euphoria from the Labour voters.

They have 261 MPs.
Tories 318 MPs.

Lots of reporting that the youth vote were heavily influenced to vote by the 'remove tuition fees' policy. So, is this just another example of people voting for self-interest? I know the usual suspects will say differently, but this is not an unreasonable assumption to make as to why there was a sudden surge in the votes from young people.

"Hey, mr/miss student, do you want someone else to pay our £27k university fees. If so, give me your vote".

No, that really couldn't be the reason.

Oh, BTW, I think that £9k p.a. is extortionate and morally wrong. I do feel as though a reasonable figure is OK, say £3k p.a.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just a personal opinion.
If another election is called in the near future I would hope that the movement towards labour continues and moves the Tories to the other side of the chamber, where I believe they belong as they are not fit to govern this country.

Fair enough, although it does sound a bit like saying Leeds belong in the Premier League. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

And I completely agree that if there is another election in the near-term then Labour's momentum (lower case 'm') would likely see them with even more seats.

larus

Just a personal opinion.
If another election is called in the near future I would hope that the movement towards labour continues and moves them to the other side of the chamber, where I believe they belong as they are not fit to govern this country.
I am still struggling to believe that so many people still think that the failed Tory austerity polices are a good thing.
I know you like your stats and that's fair enough but although happy with last night I would have liked to have seen Labour sneak over the line and get the awful Tories out.

I struggle how people think that living within your means is a bad thing. I also struggle with the entitlement culture. The government doesn't have any money - all of it's expenditure comes from taking money from other taxpayers/companies.

I left home at 19 with no help from family and have been self-sufficient. I went back to college at 23 and re-trained, with a little government help. Since then I have never claimed anything, not have I ever expected to have something for nothing. I believe that we are responsible for our own lives and the welfare state is there to look after those that can't look after themselves or fall on hard times. And of course, the NHS and education (up the college level) should be free and of a high standard. However, the demographics of the country are changing, and this is something we need to be honest about.

Next PM odds

May 1/5 (and drifting like a barge)
Johnson 8/1
Davis 33/1
Rudd 40/1
Corbyn 40/1
If tory's do stay in power Ruth Davidson must be in with a shout, exemplary work she is doing across the border.

I don't agree with her remain stance but will have to go with it. She seems like the real deal. Smart lady.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So just to be clear if the Tories get the support of the DUP, how many Tories need to cross the floor to inflict a government defeat?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Fair enough, although it does sound a bit like saying Leeds belong in the Premier League. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

And I completely agree that if there is another election in the near-term then Labour's momentum (lower case 'm') would likely see them with even more seats.

Not so sure myself. Their support may have peaked, and if the Tories get their act together properly next time it might be harder. I suspect the Tories will nick the best bits of the labour manifesto anyway.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here