Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
not a regular on here and do most of my running in the dark winter evenings - 5 miles @ 40 mins, from 8.46 to 7.30 for final mile.

How much faster (say in % terms) do people run in daylight?

serious question.

Why do you think people would? Is it because you run off road with a headtorch?

As a newcomer my times have been going down with each month as I get fitter anyway but in the summer I run much faster in the morning or evening than at noon as its cooler and in the winter 90% of my running is in the dark,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I've started logging my strength and conditioning sessions as they are unplanned and I have been shirking them or ignoring them totally, Today foam rolled and stretched both calves to warm up and cool down, 10 single leg squats on each leg, 2 reps of 10 sit ups and 10 X 10 second planks. No idea if this is too much or too little but I feel much better for it!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No just road running with the aid of street lights. Sub consciously holding back because of uneven surface, traffic at junctions, etc seem to make my times slower at night.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I've started logging my strength and conditioning sessions as they are unplanned and I have been shirking them or ignoring them totally, Today foam rolled and stretched both calves to warm up and cool down, 10 single leg squats on each leg, 2 reps of 10 sit ups and 10 X 10 second planks. No idea if this is too much or too little but I feel much better for it!

I do circuit training every Monday for 45 minutes with the local running club (no running in the winter as no street lights in West Hoathly). They say build up your "core" and this will massively help fitness and therefore your running! This includes shuttle runs to warm up, then a mixture of core training such as planks, sit ups, star jumps, squats, lunges etc etc. Love it and find it much harder work than running!!!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
not a regular on here and do most of my running in the dark winter evenings - 5 miles @ 40 mins, from 8.46 to 7.30 for final mile.

How much faster (say in % terms) do people run in daylight?

serious question.

I dont think the level of daylight matters much to your speed..as long as your alert to whats around you and you can adjust accordingly...and you have the right tools for the job ie decent shoes, headlamp (countryside night runs) etc.

Different terrain types and your physical/mental condition has much more baring on your speed in my opinion

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No just road running with the aid of street lights. Sub consciously holding back because of uneven surface, traffic at junctions, etc seem to make my times slower at night.

Depends where you run. I was in Haywards Heath last week and went for a run whilst my lad was football training. It was horrible - crap and/or narrow paths, poor lighting, people in dark clothes not looking where they were going, people on the pavement on bikes with no lights, dog walkers on one side of the path with their dog on the other etc etc......definitely went slower as a result.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Got you. I'm very near Hove seafront and the traffic is much less on the roads early and late. The front is also easier in the dark as it's not full of grannies, dogs and toddlers, and its only the hardcore out at that time (talking of which I'm off for an 8.5 miler in a second). So I have less obstacles to deal with at this time. If you're rural or somewhere where vision isn't great than I can imagine you do reign it in when its dark.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I dont think the level of daylight matters much to your speed..as long as your alert to whats around you and you can adjust accordingly...and you have the right tools for the job ie decent shoes, headlamp (countryside night runs) ......

........dog poo removal stick.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Thanks for reminder. I started on the core for the marathon in September. 4 weeks press ups, sit ups, minute and a half planking and swimming 4 times a week. Results were good. Then I stopped for no reason and now worse than before. Will get onto it today.
Off for 10 miles now as it looks like the wind is increasing by 2pm and then 24 hours of heavy rain.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I bought one, then a physio suggested a load of stretches that didn't involve a roller so I presumed they're not recommended.

How often do you use the roller?

Stretches and foam roller.........stretch after every run (boring, but necessary, and don't stretch before, just do some form of warm up - which can simply be a slow start). I foam roll the ITBs a couple of times a week, not had any issues with ITBS for maybe 6/7 years

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Back on it this morning with negative splits and a 50 min (just) 10k. Sticking with the 'quality, not quantity' approach, because before this would be an 8/10 mile trundle.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1028085856

1 8:33.3
2 8:31.6
3 8:28.7
4 8:16.3
5 8:01.2
6 7:32.4
7 1:32.0

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thanks for reminder. I started on the core for the marathon in September. 4 weeks press ups, sit ups, minute and a half planking and swimming 4 times a week. Results were good. Then I stopped for no reason and now worse than before. Will get onto it today.
Off for 10 miles now as it looks like the wind is increasing by 2pm and then 24 hours of heavy rain.

Another 'old git challenge': 100 press ups in 2 minutes? (Actually it's probably quite a challenge for a few young gits too!)

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Stretches and foam roller.........stretch after every run (boring, but necessary, and don't stretch before, just do some form of warm up - which can simply be a slow start). I foam roll the ITBs a couple of times a week, not had any issues with ITBS for maybe 6/7 years

Do you find that you get bruises after foam rolling? A few of my teammates currentl look like they've had a mishap with a pack of blueberries down the sides of their legs.

Currently trying to do nine minutes 30 on a treadmill at 16kph with no incline. Managed five on Satdi. Pathetic really

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do you find that you get bruises after foam rolling? A few of my teammates currentl look like they've had a mishap with a pack of blueberries down the sides of their legs.

Currently trying to do nine minutes 30 on a treadmill at 16kph with no incline. Managed five on Satdi. Pathetic really

No...shouldn't be that hard - never bruised from it (or from a sports massage which is even worse pain-wise). The solid rollers are worse (harder) but still shouldn't lead to bruising

16kph is quick - that pace for 5k would put you at/near the top of the NCS 5k charts at well under 19 mins. For me 5 mins at that pace is right on the max interval length I would be capable of (using 20 min 5k as a base for calculating training zones) - quite a long way from pathetic for most on here I'd think !

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another 'old git challenge': 100 press ups in 2 minutes? (Actually it's probably quite a challenge for a few young gits too!)

This morning got in a nice 10 miler. 5 miles warming up and cooling down @ 10" pace and in the middle a 40" 5 miles going up over the Marina and return. Got home and tried the challenge and managed about 2 press ups before collapsing. I need to build up. So this week whilst waiting for the kettle in the morning 3x7, next week 3x15, then 3x25, followed by 3x30. Then I will attempt the challenge. Will plan to do 40,35 and 25 with 5-10 second rests.
[MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] I am intrigued as to why you aimed to run at that pace for 9:30. I can only assume you had to leave the treadmill after 9:30 minutes? Fast running. Increase from 5 to 6 minutes and you have your 6 minute mile

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Got out this morning before the wind really took hold. Aim was to stay disciplined and run a half marathon distance. Pleased to say I kept to the plan and the distance felt pretty comfortable.

The bonus being I took 1 minute 23 of my pb from last years Brighton HM to clock 1:30:46 average pace 6:55 per mile.

Saw [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] keeping a good pace near Hove lagoon going into the wind whilst I passed him from the opposite direction just past my ten mile mark.

Will probably skip Park Run this weekend as can only run once this weekend so keen to keep the mileage up with Worthing & Brighton HM's in February.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1028730199

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Got out this morning before the wind really took hold. Aim was to stay disciplined and run a half marathon distance. Pleased to say I kept to the plan and the distance felt pretty comfortable.

The bonus being I took 1 minute 23 of my pb from last years Brighton HM to clock 1:30:46 average pace 6:55 per mile.

Saw [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] keeping a good pace near Hove lagoon going into the wind whilst I passed him from the opposite direction just past my ten mile mark.

Will probably skip Park Run this weekend as can only run once this weekend so keen to keep the mileage up with Worthing & Brighton HM's in February.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1028730199
You should've popped in!

Good running. Big PBs ahead for you this year, I reckon...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I took a REST day today because it WASN'T raining or windy #hardcore [emoji3]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here