Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Bugle
The Swan
The Cleveland

Honourable mentions to The Mitre and The Hollingbury - both decent pubs yet to be overrun by pretentious middle-class wankers. On that score my immediate local, The Stanmer, is being done up and will be renamed 'Fiveways'. I fear the worst. The PPT has never recovered.

I noticed that yesterday whilst visiting [MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION] at The Dip Christmas Fayre. We passed comment that the name is suffixed with the words "...and kitchen" which always tells a tale.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
As a Beckett boy this was one of the first for me, Used to have an old boxer dog in the eighties that would try to cremate himself in the open fire. Never returned after the landlady one day asked me to vacate the bar if I was not drinking to free up the seats for her elite, which I was if she had been bothered to look. Always went to The Vine after that if ever drinking close to home.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I noticed that yesterday whilst visiting [MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION] at The Dip Christmas Fayre. We passed comment that the name is suffixed with the words "...and kitchen" which always tells a tale.
Surely we've reached saturation point with places like this in Fiveways?

theboybilly

As a venue that does a lot more than merely serve as a place to drink, I'd nominate The Cyclist at Brighton Station.

I concur with this. A nice place to have a drink before joining the queues for the Falmer train.
My next two pubs would be The Alexandra Hotel in Derby (was there yesterday for the match) and...
the Duke of Wellington in Shoreham

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Im not much of a drinker tbh but i think im going to nominate the Brunswick in Derby , the staff were brilliant the meet and greet mexican ? guy was one in a trillion ,the selection of real ales was impressive , they even made the stuff on site which you could watch them brew , and my lager top was very nice , nice mixture of home and away fans not a hint of hassle from either set of supporters , excellent matchday pub

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Plus one for The Stanley, for perhaps the final year?

**** knows what it will be like when under new ownership. I suppose I should simply hope they don't turn it into a Tesco Metro.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Im not much of a drinker tbh but i think im going to nominate the Brunswick in Derby , the staff were brilliant the meet and greet mexican ? guy was one in a trillion ,the selection of real ales was impressive , they even made the stuff on site which you could watch them brew , and my lager top was very nice , nice mixture of home and away fans not a hint of hassle from either set of supporters , excellent matchday pub

Yes, best away matchday pub for me too, at least pre-match. Had a great sing in their before the playoff game, including some Derby fans who joined in some of our repertoire and contributed to a top atmosphere. The pub is less accommodating post-match unfortunately, with bouncers stopping coloured-up away fans.

Nomination for The Snowdrop in Lewes, food is always good and excellent choice of beer.

PG

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Plus one for The Stanley, for perhaps the final year?

**** knows what it will be like when under new ownership. I suppose I should simply hope they don't turn it into a Tesco Metro.

Almost certainly not as good. However, if you've got a Christmas bonus on the way and your idea of fun is watching someone try and sell "drinky-poos" to council estate alcoholics then the Whistle Stop as run by the George Payne should be an interesting night out. Yes they did really use that phrase in their Facebook post.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Almost certainly not as good. However, if you've got a Christmas bonus on the way and your idea of fun is watching someone try and sell "drinky-poos" to council estate alcoholics then the Whistle Stop as run by the George Payne should be an interesting night out. Yes they did really use that phrase in their Facebook post.

Christ - just seen your other thread. This is the first I've heard of that.

I know one person who won't be happy about that as it's his favourite destination for daily 11am drinkypoos.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
1. The Evening Star, best for beer
2. The Basket Makers, really good for food
3. The Duke of Wellington Shoreham

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
1. The Evening Star, best for beer
2. The Basket Makers, really good for food
3. The Duke of Wellington Shoreham

If the food at The Basketmaker's is as expensive as their drinks it would have to be exceptionally good.

Is there a more overpriced Pub in Brighton to buy a pint of normal bitter?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here