Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Free London

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I've never really understood the fascination with the South Bank. Mostly seems to be a load of crappy 60s concrete buildings. Admittedly there are some nice views across the river, but am I missing something?

Tate Modern, your namesake gallery, National Theatre, Shakespeare's Globe :love:

If they had a couple of non-yuppie pubs and a decent greasy spoon there it would be perfect

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Choral Evensong at 17:00 in St Paul's Cathedral (not Mondays) or Westminster Abbey (not Wednesdays) - heavenly.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Tate Modern, your namesake gallery, National Theatre, Shakespeare's Globe :love:

If they had a couple of non-yuppie pubs and a decent greasy spoon there it would be perfect

Yeah, the places there are ok, but people always talk about "a lovely stroll along the South Bank"?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Choral Evensong at 17:00 in St Paul's Cathedral (not Mondays) or Westminster Abbey (not Wednesdays) - heavenly.

Yes! I'm not religious, but the combination of singing, music and stunning architecture is breathtaking.

As an aside, I attend a Book of Common Prayer, Sung Evensong on a Sunday evening at my local parish Church. I really enjoy the language and the ritual of it all. The total attendance is the Vicar, me, one old lady and the organist, who happens to be the retired principal organist of St Paul's! The organist will always do a 20 minute recital after the service; his playing is, as you would expect, sublime.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Anyone advise of things worth doing in our great capital that are Free.

I've done the Old Bailey....brilliant
Tate Modern....didn't get it
Museums......not really my thing
Borough Market.....love it

Any help appreciated

covent garden can be great. last time i was there my misses and me watched a magician. he was quite good at the magic, but was really funny with it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Once the cricket season kicks off, I'll probably amble my way up to Barnes Village to feed the ducks (steal some seed). A few drinks in the Sun Inn (get your friends to buy them) and then meander along to watch some cricket or a stroll along the Thames watching some of the rowing clubs.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
There must be something you can find to like in one of the museums, surely? I can't think of many (if any) free places to go in the UK.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Shops, walks and museums cover most of the free experiences.

Shops - Harrods, Liberty, Selfridges, Hamleys are all an experience of sorts. Also, the rooftop space of One New Change on Cheapside has a great view of St Paul's close up and the central City area.
Walks - Southbank is best. Buck Palace / St James's Park / Horse Guards / Whitehall a close second. Kensington Gardens / Hyde Park (although I find Hyde Park a bit dull really).
Museums - Went to V&A for the first time 3 weeks ago and really enjoyed that. Museum of London is also good. Science Museum and Nat History are good, but just too busy to enjoy.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Waterloo Sunset

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here