Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New manager for Albion women's team

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The reality is that I say things that the majority are thinking but are afraid to say for fear of upsetting someone.

Only in your reality. The majority are just not interested, which is vastly different from your contention that women's football shouldn't exist.

I just happen to speak my mind. Since when was that not permitted?

Please don't play the 'freedom of speech' card at us - it doesn't wash. Just because you are able to 'speak your mind', it doesn't mean you're obliged to. But then, I did wonder what that hollow sound was.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I would imagine that key for most in attendance will be the upcoming Premier League season and various points of interest related to that. It's typically a relatively short event (an hour?) so any time spent on the women's team is time not spent on what most fans are there for. All my assumptions of course, but I suspect I'm not too far away.

You're probably right. If this had been last season, it may have been a lesser 'distraction' (I'll think of a better word later).

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
IIRC some melts on this board were mooting her as a possible first team manager (men's) a few years back....

There's literally no reason why a woman cannot manage a men's team. Case in point: Shelley Kerr, former Scottish international, became manager of Stirling University F.C. in 2014 and is still there.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's the issue. Despite being over half the population numerically in most western nations all these women's sports aren't translating into large numbers of women supporting women's sports.

The women's cricket world cup final this weekend is not only a 26.500 sellout but 50% of those who have bought tickets are women (31% under 16 - which augurs well).

Women's football has only been going 40 odd years, it's got a lot of catching up to do ... but it's slowly getting there

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
But we don't take women's football seriously. It's being forced down our throats by the PC brigade. How many people read the pages in the programme about the women's team? No one that I know.
Notts County are one of just four top-flight women's clubs with an average attendance of more than 1,000 and their numbers have dropped by almost 17%. Proof in my mind that in reality there is little interest. Why don't we all just accept that football is a man's game? Women have hockey, lacrosse and netball. Why don't they develop those into major sports if they think there's an audience?

Can you hear us all the way back in the 1950's there?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The women's cricket world cup final this weekend is not only a 26.500 sellout but 50% of those who have bought tickets are women (31% under 16 - which augurs well).

Women's football has only been going 40 odd years, it's got a lot of catching up to do ... but it's slowly getting there

Women's football has been going for 100 years, didn't a women's match in the 20's or 30's get a 50,000 crowd?

It shouldn't even be a slow thing to get there. Women should be flocking to watch it if it's what they want to watch.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Women's football has been going for 100 years, didn't a women's match in the 20's or 30's get a 50,000 crowd?

Indeed it did: it got better crowds than men's football and then the FA banned it. Women weren't allowed to play the game (in England anyway) until the 1970s.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Indeed it did: it got better crowds than men's football and then the FA banned it. Women weren't allowed to play the game (in England anyway) until the 1970s.

The Wars seemed to have a lot to do with that. Ive noticed when researching women in cycling in old new papers out here that women were setting countless records in the 30's and were often highly paid riders for certain bike brands. Then the wars came and went which seemed to disrupt things and it seems by the 50's women's attitudes had changed to sports and they weren't participating in the numbers like they used to.

Perhaps that was down to so many men were lost from the population there was a feeling of we need to produce more children to replace the millions that were lost. And so women settled for the family life instead of a great many other things.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I have to say, that connection would never have even occurred to me.

I just thought "Oh her. I've heard of her. She's quite a big deal in women's football"

As I said before, the previous incumbent was black too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Wars seemed to have a lot to do with that. Ive noticed when researching women in cycling in old new papers out here that women were setting countless records in the 30's and were often highly paid riders for certain bike brands. Then the wars came and went which seemed to disrupt things and it seems by the 50's women's attitudes had changed to sports and they weren't participating in the numbers like they used to.

Perhaps that was down to so many men were lost from the population there was a feeling of we need to produce more children to replace the millions that were lost. And so women settled for the family life instead of a great many other things.

Women had to settle for family life because they couldn't get jobs after the war. Jobs were for men. Even in the 70s, I went back to work after my two children had started school, and at a couple of interviews, I was told, you might get pregnant again, so why should we employ you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Highly impressive appointment.

Put it this way, as employing former England managers go, it's a bit more impressive than Allardyce to Palace.

Given that Allardcye kept an almost certainly doomed Palace in the Premier League and has a proven managerial record in a much more competitive field I think you're getting carried away there :smile:

D

Deleted member 2719

Who is this mythical 'PC Brigade' of which you speak? Can you name them all?

We don't 'just accept football is man's game' because football isn't only a man's game. Quite simple, really.

I can name a couple of the PC Brigade if that helps............. TLO and yourself.

Goldstone really does have some valid points, the women game is just not getting the interest, women can't be good at cleaning the house, cooking your dinner, servicing their men and playing football.

Can they???

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But we don't take women's football seriously. It's being forced down our throats by the PC brigade. How many people read the pages in the programme about the women's team? No one that I know.
Notts County are one of just four top-flight women's clubs with an average attendance of more than 1,000 and their numbers have dropped by almost 17%. Proof in my mind that in reality there is little interest. Why don't we all just accept that football is a man's game? Women have hockey, lacrosse and netball. Why don't they develop those into major sports if they think there's an audience?

Too right. In fact why bother with women's sport at all. They should all be in the kitchen cooking us big men our dinners, cleaning the house top to bottom, bringing up our children and – basically – preferable not seen and not heard. :dunce:

Even a little bit of interest in women's football is enough to bother, IMO. Why would you not? Football ISN'T a man's game. It might have been one day, but it's not any more. You've got Sixth form colleges in the county – and probably the country – that are linked up to the likes of Lewes, Worthing and Brighton and Hove Albion football clubs, a national league structure in place that seems to be getting more coverage and a LOT of talented female footballers who are every bit as determined to make it to the top of their game as their male counterparts. You try telling THEM that it's a waste of time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Too right. In fact why bother with women's sport at all. They should all be in the kitchen cooking us big men our dinners, cleaning the house top to bottom, bringing up our children and – basically – preferable not seen and not heard. :dunce:

Even a little bit of interest in women's football is enough to bother, IMO. Why would you not? Football ISN'T a man's game. It might have been one day, but it's not any more. You've got Sixth form colleges in the county – and probably the country – that are linked up to the likes of Lewes, Worthing and Brighton and Hove Albion football clubs, a national league structure in place that seems to be getting more coverage and a LOT of talented female footballers who are every bit as determined to make it to the top of their game as their male counterparts. You try telling THEM that it's a waste of time.

So does having absolutely no interest in women's football or rugby automatically make me a misogynist male chauvinist pig? Because I wouldn't cross the road to watch either. Am I gay because I wouldn't bother to watch a game of women's volleyball on the beach either?

I am getting very confused here :down:

For those who love women's football it is a great signing for the Albion women's team, it has to be said.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So does having absolutely no interest in women's football or rugby automatically make me a misogynist male chauvinist pig?

I guarantee you there are a few in this world that would try to label you that from their judgemental high horses.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I like the odd game of Womens football. I look at it in the same way I look at women's tennis. The same but different. I don't make constant comparisons with men's football as that's not relevant or helpful. I enjoy it in its own right. I'd watch more if I could justify the time.

It's a great appointment.

The Dr. Who thread and this one make me feel for the poor women in the lives of some of the contributors.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I can name a couple of the PC Brigade if that helps............. TLO and yourself.

Oh dear - on many levels. :facepalm:

Goldstone really does have some valid points, the women game is just not getting the interest, women can't be good at cleaning the house, cooking your dinner, servicing their men and playing football.

Can they???

No, Goldstone doesn't make any valid points.

He believes women's football has no right to exist on three main points - the perceived lack of interest, it only ticks the box of a 'PC Brigade' and his psychedelic, parallel-universe conention that it's only a game for males.

Let's take them one at a time. If he believes it shouldn't exist due to a lack of interest, then nor should powerchair football, blind football, amputee football, reserve matches and polo. If the crowds aren't there then, but his reasoning, they shouldn't be taking place either. In other words, football should only exist for the sake of commerce. Taking that to its logical conclusion, Goldstone is an armchair fan with no concept of what he claims to support - a FOOTBALL club.

Secondly - this mythical 'PC Brigade'. A phrase of no meaning. Since when was it 'politically correct' to allow women to play football? Liking women's football doesn't make you 'politically correct', it makes you a fan of football.

Which leads us to the third point - since when was it actually correct to not allow women to play football? What are the actual physical, societal and egalitarian contexts within which women aren't allowed to play?

I'm not 100% sure whether your post, meanwhile, was made tongue-in-cheek, or whether you were being serious regarding women's roles in society. But I'll leave it there hanging anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here