Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC salaries...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It's vital transparency for the license fee payer.

If the BBC want to continue being funded by an effective universal tax, then it must demonstrate how it spends the money.

There may be something in your broader point but publishing the salaries that in total probably amount to a small percentage of their total budget is just a stick for this government to use to beat them, a tabloid headline for the masses.

I'd like to know much more about how much they spend, for instance, on redesigning their website every 5 minutes.

I'd also like to know how much this particular piece of sh1t cost:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/new_silk_road Try reading that on a mobile device.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
But we fund the public sector as taxpayers.

If you follow this argument to its logical conclusion, every doctor, teacher, civil servant etc who has a salary over £150k should have it disclosed. To some extent the BBC haven't helped themselves with some of the ludicrous redundancy payments they have awarded but this just smacks of populist nonsense and double standards to me.

I would be happy with that, all public sector pay should be disclosed in interests of transparency so the taxpayer can check that pay equality is being maintained and that value for money is being achieved.

Had the BBC not disclosed this today we would not know the scale of waste and bias for men.

How is this not a good thing?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Can anyone tell me how announcing this helps anyone? What is the purpose of doing it - and don't give me "transparency" because that simply isn't necessary.

All this will do is create resentment and wage inflation. All competitors, who almost certainly pay more already, will see the amount they need to pay to poach talent, meaning the Beeb will have to spend more money to keep them. Add in the resentment within the company when people moan about "what they are earning compared to me".

How has this helped the running or the organisation in any way shape or form?

Couldn't agree more. It's another ideological stick with which to beat the BBC, which remains one of the best, if not the best, public service broadcasters in the world.

Name a large organisation, from football clubs to international corporations, public sector or private sector, which doesn't contain a significant number of people, who would be regarded by the general public, if their salaries were published, as "overpaid t***ers".

The BBC is in a very difficult position on this - it's subject to standards (like publishing top salaries) which its private sector competitors aren't, but it has to compete in the same pool as them for high profile "stars" in a market dominated by agents, poaching practices etc etc. As with footballers, many of the apparent mismatches between the externally-perceived "value" of the individual stars and their actual salaries, will reflect historical decisions, market conditions and their perceived "value", and who else was bidding for them, at the time they were hired. In practice, some of these will turn out to have been misjudgments or over-payments in light of their subsequent performance, but the organisation is still stuck with the contract.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Not to HMRC.

The BBC is the most ''Investigated'' company in the UK by HMRC. They are constantly in their offices analysing their practices and for the most part have got about 80 or 90% of them under PAYE now.

It will be impossible to get them all under PAYE because so many of them are genuinely ''Freelance'' Presenters or correspondents under Current Legislation as it stands. Regulations and Laws would need to be altered to catch the remaining 20% or so and any changes to Legislation could potentially affect your small genuine ''freelance'' plumber or builder, which in turn could be detrimental to the UK Economy and the small business man as well.

So I am fairly happy with what HMRC have achieved in regard to the BBC over the last 15 years or so. That list was probably leaked by HMRC anyhow or if not them they probably threatened to leak it if the BBC didn't post it.

It's your other big ''Multi Nationals that HMRC need to go after now. The Tory Government won't though. - Jeremy Corbyn would definitely go after them and that is why most ''Big Business'' is sh*t scared of a Labour Government

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I would be happy with that, all public sector pay should be disclosed in interests of transparency so the taxpayer can check that pay equality is being maintained and that value for money is being achieved.

Had the BBC not disclosed this today we would not know the scale of waste and bias for men.

How is this not a good thing?

I thought all public pay overboard £150k a year was disclosed - such as this link - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/senior-officials-high-earners-salaries . It's the reason BBC have done theirs.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Disgusting

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lineker, Steve Wright and Evans earning incredible sums more than the classy Eddie Mair, Ken Bruce, Adrian Chiles (I like him) and Fiona Bruce.

I bet a lot of people thought Fiona Bruce would be one of the very highest paid, especially with her multiple roles.

If Lineker left MOTD, he would not be a big miss IMO. Watching it, he is not charismatic and we don't get an insight into his knowledge as he must stay neutral. What a joke.

Very illuminating.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Can anyone tell me how announcing this helps anyone? What is the purpose of doing it - and don't give me "transparency" because that simply isn't necessary.

All this will do is create resentment and wage inflation. All competitors, who almost certainly pay more already, will see the amount they need to pay to poach talent, meaning the Beeb will have to spend more money to keep them. Add in the resentment within the company when people moan about "what they are earning compared to me".

How has this helped the running or the organisation in any way shape or form?

It's the Tories way of stripping down the BBC so they can personally make money out of it. See NHS, people's lives etc.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Lineker, Steve Wright and Evans earning incredible sums more than the classy Eddie Mair, Ken Bruce, Adrian Chiles (I like him) and Fiona Bruce.

I bet a lot of people thought Fiona Bruce would be one of the very highest paid, especially with her multiple roles.

If Lineker left MOTD, he would not be a big miss IMO. Watching it, he is not charismatic and we don't get an insight into his knowledge as he must stay neutral. What a joke.

Very illuminating.

Lineker is a very very very good presenter with inside knowledge and respect from all within the game. He's worth the money.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The BBC is the most ''Investigated'' company in the UK by HMRC. They are constantly in their offices analysing their practices and for the most part have got about 80 or 90% of them under PAYE now.

It will be impossible to get them all under PAYE because so many of them are genuinely ''Freelance'' Presenters or correspondents under Current Legislation as it stands. Regulations and Laws would need to be altered to catch the remaining 20% or so and any changes to Legislation could potentially affect your small genuine ''freelance'' plumber or builder, which in turn could be detrimental to the UK Economy and the small business man as well.

So I am fairly happy with what HMRC have achieved in regard to the BBC over the last 15 years or so. That list was probably leaked by HMRC anyhow or if not them they probably threatened to leak it if the BBC didn't post it.

It's your other big ''Multi Nationals that HMRC need to go after now. The Tory Government won't though. - Jeremy Corbyn would definitely go after them and that is why most ''Big Business'' is sh*t scared of a Labour Government

I agree with you that governments through legislation and HMRC have made massive inroads into tackling the tax shortfall at the BBC. It was the case of John Burt, the BBC boss who avoided NI and PAYE by having his 'salary' paid to his private limited company, that brought all this to the fore.

But these scenarios must continue and relentlessly be attacked by HMRC and legislation, whether it be at the BBC, SME's or multi nationals. There is not right wing corruption in allowing tax evasion. HMRC and budgets by Brown and Osborne did so much to undermine the unfair tax advantages of an array of tax schemes at all levels. Multinationals is a difficult one - if the UK alone attacked the immoral tax avoidance at Starbucks, Amazon and so on, it would be hard to see it through to the aim you and I probably share, that they should pay the full whack of UK corporation tax on their true UK profits. We need all the major economies, plus the selfish governments exploiting this such as Ireland and Luxembourg, to all act in tandem to clamp down on this immediately and permanently.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Moira Stuart??... ffs... she reads the 1 minute news excerpts on Radio 2... part time..... that really is easy money.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here