Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steak house?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Any new thoughts on this? Has the Coal Shed got any better? Is Miller & Carter THAT good?

I'm looking for a decent steak in Brighton, but it sounds like options are pretty limited. The best steak I've had in town was in Havana, but I noticed yesterday that's gone!

I was thinking Cote, or Hotel du Vin, but I'm open to any other suggestions nothing too fancy or poncy - just good food.

I'd avoid M&C, its 'alright' but never the best steaks. People that love it, usually haven't been to proper steak houses, or eaten outside of Lancing.

HdV is pretty consistent for Steak, usually get a good ribeye there but not been for a little while.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had a decent steak at The Sussex Steak house in Burgess Hill other people I know werent so lucky. The best I have had in a chain pub was at The Sergison (ex Dolphin) in Haywards Heath good VFM at about £15.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
&
I'd avoid M&C, its 'alright' but never the best steaks. People that love it, usually haven't been to proper steak houses, or eaten outside of Lancing.

HdV is pretty consistent for Steak, usually get a good ribeye there but not been for a little while.

Oooh get you, I have eaten outside Lancing but M&C is pretty good for steaks. McMillans in Worthing used to be good. Others I like are in different countries and counties outside of Lancing.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I've eaten in the Big Texan, Amarillo, Texas. So finding a decent Steak in this country is a hard task. However, I agree with [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] in having a decent steak at the Sussex Steakhouse, Burgess Hill.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Macmillans in Worthing has always been good quality, although very hit and miss with the service IMHO.

If people think Miller and Carter are amazing then you've never eaten proper steak - speaking as an ex M&B employee, the steaks for Miller and Carter come from the same sources as the steaks for Harvesters or Vintage Inns (The Devils Dyke for instance). They're not crap by any means, but not top end either.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've eaten in the Big Texan, Amarillo, Texas. So finding a decent Steak in this country is a hard task. However, I agree with [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] in having a decent steak at the Sussex Steakhouse, Burgess Hill.
Went there 2 years ago and it was very good but having said that most steaks in the USA are better than in the UK.

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
Macmillans in Worthing has always been good quality, although very hit and miss with the service IMHO.

If people think Miller and Carter are amazing then you've never eaten proper steak - speaking as an ex M&B employee, the steaks for Miller and Carter come from the same sources as the steaks for Harvesters or Vintage Inns (The Devils Dyke for instance). They're not crap by any means, but not top end either.

Macmillans
Place stank of a wet dog OAP piss saturated night shirt combo.
Food was worse. Steak appeared to have just been boiled in the bag, after a quick grey colour searing.
Avoid at all costs.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There's one just opened in Horsham called Buenos Aires Steakhouse though it appears to part of a chain so might be rubbish

Correct answer, it's over priced average food, wouldn't recommend to anyone.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Remember when it opened in Chichester Smith and Western was good but havent been for a few years and they have opened more branches so may not be that good now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am taking wife to Jersey Boys at Piccadily theatre and want a meal before hand any suggestions in the price range of up to about £30-£35 each in or near there.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Miller and Carter is ok but what the hell is a lump of lettuce doing on my plate? Cote or Coalshed beat it hands down.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Eaten there several times, generally OK but issues from time to time (most common one is running out of a particular cut - of course it'll be the one you wanted). Quality of meat is pretty good though and service is Ok. Starters are not that great.

Had a meal at Smokeys last week (next to the Brighton Centre). Excellent meat and very good value for money. I would back myself to eat most big meals but me and the Mrs were massively defeated by the sharing platter. Outstanding combo of beef brisket, pulled pork, smoked BBQ chicken and ribs.

Apr 17, 2011
Shoreham
Have been to M&C 3 times.
1st time steak was OK
2nd time was poor. Complained got a refund plus £20 voucher.
3rd time used voucher, steak was poor - won't be going back again.

Good chain for steaks is Gauchos, but unfortunately not one local.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here