Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
BeFries - Belgian Fries

So it's not exactly a restaurant but it's definitely worthy of a visit... BeFries on West Street. I know, I know, West Street is not exactly a foodie destination but hold judgement until you've been.

There are two lovely guys running this place, both really passionate about making authentic Belgian Fries and my god the sauces are good. I'm normally just a ketchup person but I'd happily forgo it given half the choice of sauces here. The Green Peppercorn and Jerk Mayo are the ones.

The chips are from British potatoes and are hand cut one-by-one and then double cooked in a fryer that they had imported from Belgium to make them crisp and fluffy.

And a nice little bonus - these guys do their bit for the community too giving out chips and supplying hot water for chairities to offer tea and hot drinks to the homeless.

Full review on the blog if you want to know more: http://foodieeshe.com/befries-brighton-review/

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So it's not exactly a restaurant but it's definitely worthy of a visit... BeFries on West Street. I know, I know, West Street is not exactly a foodie destination but hold judgement until you've been.

There are two lovely guys running this place, both really passionate about making authentic Belgian Fries and my god the sauces are good. I'm normally just a ketchup person but I'd happily forgo it given half the choice of sauces here. The Green Peppercorn and Jerk Mayo are the ones.

The chips are from British potatoes and are hand cut one-by-one and then double cooked in a fryer that they had imported from Belgium to make them crisp and fluffy.

And a nice little bonus - these guys do their bit for the community too giving out chips and supplying hot water for chairities to offer tea and hot drinks to the homeless.

Full review on the blog if you want to know more: http://foodieeshe.com/befries-brighton-review/

Haha! Exact same memories of those chips at King Alfred. They were AMAZING.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

BeFries are excellent. Really, really good chips, but the sauces are where they genuinely shine. Just excellent.

Jul 7, 2003
BeFries are excellent. Really, really good chips, but the sauces are where they genuinely shine. Just excellent.

Expensive but very good chips. We've been here a few times for pre match lunch and the guys running it are very friendly. If you eat in you can have loads of different sauces to test.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sushi Tetsu, Clerkenwell.

Possibly the most hyped Sushi place in London (maybe a tie with The Akari?). Near impossible to get 2 seats at the seven seat bar - it took me approx 500 calls over 8 months. Only does sashimi and sushi. Oh, and edamame beans.

We had the Omakase menu ("entrust the chef"). He gave us 3 plates of mixed sashimi, 7 individual pieces of nigiri ("eat each one in a single mouthful, it's been created to eat that way"), and finished with tamagoyaki.

Perfect. Just perfect. 3 of the nigiri moved me to near tears, the precision of each element was superlative. Best sushi I've ever had by a distance. In the top three meals ever. 10/10. Food £96 each; alcohol £100 each.

Try and get a late cancellation by following their Twitter feed.

Stella's Kitchen, a farm just outside Eyam, Peak District.

Stella was originally from Cameroon and has been living in the area for 17 years. She's a larger than life, buoyant, funny woman who provides home-cooked African food from, err, her home. We sat at her kitchen table; other guests were in the conservatory. No alcohol licence.

We had:

Pan fried partridge thighs with a corn fritter, yam fritter and mango salsa
Seafood kebab with spiced spinach and fried plantain
Chicken akwba with coconut rice
Cake (uncertain what, tbh)

We were entertained by her 8 year old son who chatted to us all evening and by Stella herself who was a joy.

Really top-notch home cooking of the type that you sometimes yearn for and seek out, but rarely find.

£18.50 each. I'm not pulling your chain. £18.50! Ridiculous value. 8/10.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Possibly the most hyped Sushi place in London (maybe a tie with The Akari?). Near impossible to get 2 seats at the seven seat bar - it took me approx 500 calls over 8 months. Only does sashimi and sushi. Oh, and edamame beans.

We had the Omakase menu ("entrust the chef"). He gave us 3 plates of mixed sashimi, 7 individual pieces of nigiri ("eat each one in a single mouthful, it's been created to eat that way"), and finished with tamagoyaki.

Perfect. Just perfect. 3 of the nigiri moved me to near tears, the precision of each element was superlative. Best sushi I've ever had by a distance. In the top three meals ever. 10/10. Food £96 each; alcohol £100 each.

The £400 bill for two would have been enough to move me to tears.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Expensive but very good chips. We've been here a few times for pre match lunch and the guys running it are very friendly. If you eat in you can have loads of different sauces to test.

Agree, everyone there is incredibly friendly and welcoming. They'll tell you about the sauces and the chips if you ask, and when I wasn't sure how hot one of their hot sauces would be they absolutely insisted that I tried a little bit first. It was a brilliant chilli mayonnaise concoction that wonderfully balanced heat and flavour, and I chatted to them for a couple of minutes about how they'd created that sauce.

I agree that it's expensive, but it's more than worth the price. Also, while the cones don't seem very big, I always seem to have more chips than I think I do somehow.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Lunch at Cin Cin sandwiched between quick visits to the Basketmakers and the Old Star.

As a long term ranter about formulaic Italian restaurants, I am pleased to say Cin Cin breaks the mould. Don't go for comfy seats, tablecloths and fawning waiters, do go for top quality food, drink and informal dining.:drink: A great addition to the North Laine.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Another thumbs up for BeFries. I like the fact that more and more joints are opening up that just do one thing, and do that well.
I'm planning a jaunt, perhaps a pre-match one: chips at BeFries, perhaps a quick stop at The Waggon and Horses for a swift one, on to Burger Brothers, then to The Basketmakers or The Nelson, and finally on to The Amex.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Try and get a late cancellation by following their Twitter feed.

Bit of an effort to book a seat. Sounds nice though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Lunch at Cin Cin sandwiched between quick visits to the Basketmakers and the Old Star.

As a long term ranter about formulaic Italian restaurants, I am pleased to say Cin Cin breaks the mould. Don't go for comfy seats, tablecloths and fawning waiters, do go for top quality food, drink and informal dining.:drink: A great addition to the North Laine.

I went to their pop up in Ten Green Bottles before they opened the restuarant and it was brilliant. Keep meaning to give their place a go.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Bit of an effort to book a seat. Sounds nice though.

Indeed! It's the only place I've been which devotes an entire web page to the (highly precise & complex) booking process. Definitely worth it though. Having been once, next time I want to go, I'd keep my eye on their Twitter feed for cancellations. You have to be flexible about dates and quick off the mark though - they tend to be "..for this evening at 6pm..." and tend to go within minutes... (I know, I know....)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed! It's the only place I've been which devotes an entire web page to the (highly precise & complex) booking process. Definitely worth it though. Having been once, next time I want to go, I'd keep my eye on their Twitter feed for cancellations. You have to be flexible about dates and quick off the mark though - they tend to be "..for this evening at 6pm..." and tend to go within minutes... (I know, I know....)

Similar to when I wanted to go to The Fat Duck. Me and a friend wanted to go badly so I rang every day (for a good few weeks) for cancellations and eventually when they had one we dropped everything and drove to Bray. We literally said yes, organised a car and drove from Hove 30 mins after the call. Worth it though.

Sounds great though.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Mrs G and I went to Marcus @ the Berkeley on Friday. We both had the 5 course tasting menu.I enjoyed the food but she wasn't that keen on her lamb which she food too salty. They brought us both an extra course of Lobster from the 8 course menu. All of the staff were fantastic. Chatty and very helpful. The sommelier in particular.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

With the lad in an all-day chess tournament thing tomorrow, we're going to head to Brighton for a mooch and Cin Cin was one of those on my short-list for lunch. You might have just swung it.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
With the lad in an all-day chess tournament thing tomorrow, we're going to head to Brighton for a mooch and Cin Cin was one of those on my short-list for lunch. You might have just swung it.
You might want to check it out first. The menu is quite small and so vegetarian options will be limited.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You might want to check it out first. The menu is quite small and so vegetarian options will be limited.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Think it would have been fine, but we opted for a less obvious veggie choice: The Salt Room.

66b89b15fe4d36ebd787d890adefbcc9.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Think it would have been fine, but we opted for a less obvious veggie choice: The Salt Room.

66b89b15fe4d36ebd787d890adefbcc9.jpg

Jay Rayner mentioned this dish in the link I posted a few pages ago.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Couldn't see it on here,anyone tried the new �� joint in Worthing, woods???

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Rather than posting a review now after some advice - anyone been to Latino Americano ( and yes I know who owns it ! ) ? Mrs W wants to take me out for my birthday and I've looked at the menu. It looks rather good but a tad over priced. Happy to pay for quality but I don't know anyone that's eaten there. The steaks in particular look Coal Shed prices and I'd rather go there if the quality isn't equal. Comments ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here