Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

50 years ago

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Great memories . Reminds me of my own start going with Dad in 1963 . Happy days . So many ups and downs . Friends sadly passed away . Great games and players .

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Brings back memories I was one of those 13,000 plus crowd.
I even went on to play cricket with Sir Norman Gall.
Great write up.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Very nice and evocative piece - especially to those of us of a certain age. Thank you. (But did you 'do the double' and watch Sussex CCC in the summers?)

Yes during school holidays, otherwise used to have to cycle like mad from the Knoll academy for gentlefolk to the County Ground for the last couple of hours play

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
My first game was in the mid 60's and remember Powney and the Napier brothers (no relation although I didn't know it then) but my first hero was Sully, who didn't join us until 1970 (according to Wiki).

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A million miles away. And I did see Livesey score and I even saw Norman Gall's goal.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Happy days. My era: Albion - Powney, Gould, Lawton et al; Sussex - Suttle, Buss x 2, Graves et al. Yours?

Ken Suttle lived round the corner from us in Goring - my dad got quite friendly with him and he got us tickets for the cricket from time to time, and bolstered my autograph book with a few visiting stars in the late 60s/early 70s. Didn't get to my first Albion match until 72 or so though. Them were the days ��

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Ken Beamish willie Irvine Eddie Spearit those were the days

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Don't forget John Snow, Jim Parks and "Lord" Ted Dexter.
I saw Sussex beat the West Indies ( including the great Gary Sobers ) in two days at Hove , in 1966

I remember that. I wasn't at that game, although I'd seen my first Sussex match by then. It was a result that caused a real stir in cricket. Here's the scorecard, only five scores in double figures by the Windies. Three Albion players in the Sussex side too

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I had a Saturday job (aged 16-18) in Boots the Chemist and served John Snow a couple of times. Remember how huge he was in stature and very polite.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ken Suttle lived round the corner from us in Goring - my dad got quite friendly with him and he got us tickets for the cricket from time to time, and bolstered my autograph book with a few visiting stars in the late 60s/early 70s. Didn't get to my first Albion match until 72 or so though. Them were the days ��

I was friendly with Ken's son, Chris for a while. He didn't like cricket. His dad had a big painting of himself in his MCC colours in his hall if I remember rightly. Can't remember the address - just that it was somewhere quite posh in Goring. Ken used to contribute to the Worthing Herald with a weekly column entitled 'The Suttle side of Cricket'.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I remember that. I wasn't at that game, although I'd seen my first Sussex match by then. It was a result that caused a real stir in cricket. Here's the scorecard, only five scores in double figures by the Windies. Three Albion players in the Sussex side too

I was there on the Saturday. Ken Suttle (see above!) had his jaw broken by Charlie Griffiths, I recall (maybe wrongly). My goodness that was a great day for an 11 year old lad. Snowy was a terrific bowler (when in the mood) and a heck of a character. We are talking boyhood hero stuff.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I was friendly with Ken's son, Chris for a while. He didn't like cricket. His dad had a big painting of himself in his MCC colours in his hall if I remember rightly. Can't remember the address - just that it was somewhere quite posh in Goring. Ken used to contribute to the Worthing Herald with a weekly column entitled 'The Suttle side of Cricket'.

Not that posh when he lived near us - Nutley Crescent was average semi-land ��

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
It was 50 years ago today... well two days ago: https://seagullnic.wor?dpress.com/2...-the-albion-with-a-little-help-from-a-friend/
Lost a few good friends along the way, but still Albion till I die.

Went to my first games later in the season on the chicken run, with Grandad and his flask, cap , and his Players No6 , two consecutive 0-0 draws v Oxford and Colchester , though was taken to see a friendly/Testimonial game v International All stars prior to this, and the game ended 5-6 ,
Talk about Feast or famine !

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was there on the Saturday. Ken Suttle (see above!) had his jaw broken by Charlie Griffiths, I recall (maybe wrongly). My goodness that was a great day for an 11 year old lad. Snowy was a terrific bowler (when in the mood) and a heck of a character. We are talking boyhood hero stuff.

Suttle was hit on the jaw but it wasn't broken - he was playing a few days later.

He holds a cricketing record that will never be beaten - he played in 423 consecutive county games - it's incredible to even think of it. I don't know who's second in that list but I bet they're not in a 100 of it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here