Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Agreed . Not our finest hour.
But How does that explain Duffy et al and the similar list of August transfer hits ? You can obviously make decent signings at any point in the transfer window depending on your budget, recruitment team , attractiveness of club, quality of manager , other signings in the chain, luck (see Neto)

But the idea, which I know is not what you're saying, that it's all about the mantra - early signings GOOD, late signings BAD - and nothing else in between is ridiculous.

I am not saying late signings are always bad but it can really leave you in a bad place if the planned signings all fail in the last week of the window. The prize of staying in the EPL is massive and when you look at our current strengthening it does not fill me with the feeling our recruitment has been well planned or successful. In the past the club had the fall back period of loan signings that could be arranged after the window, but that is no longer there for back up.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Talk is cheap... action is now long overdue...

Action is happening. It's just that you can't see it. (or anyone else on here, they don't advertise it)

Perhaps you could ask if you could shadow them for a week, and report back here.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I am not saying late signings are always bad but it can really leave you in a bad place if the planned signings all fail in the last week of the window. The prize of staying in the EPL is massive and when you look at our current strengthening it does not fill me with the feeling our recruitment has been well planned or successful. In the past the club had the fall back period of loan signings that could be arranged after the window, but that is no longer there for back up.

Spot on...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Action is happening. It's just that you can't see it. (or anyone else on here, they don't advertise it)

Perhaps you could ask if you could shadow them for a week, and report back here.

Alright, action AND RESULTS is long overdue...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Elvis Manu ?

Rushed signing when Callieri didn't happen ? ???

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Elvis Manu ?

Rushed signing when Callieri didn't happen ? ???

Yep. The most obvious mistake in post Burke period. Hard to understand what didn't work (his age, discipline ?, perhaps his inability to get game time) , but he wasn't just picked out of the air. And he had a decent track record pre Albion . Club had , I assume, tracked him for a while . But again what went wrong - buying late in August or a whole bunch of other factors , many of which were about his subsequent time with the club and hard to predict, but nothing to do with the date he signed.
I'd say More likely the latter.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Which one player would you sign?

Now imagine you are that player, with no affinity to our club. What are the pros and cons of joining us?

Pros: Premier League club. Great facilities. Great City.

Cons: Low transfer fees. Low wage structure. Likely relegation candidates.

If you were a top player would you sign straight away, or would you wait as long as you can to see if a better offer comes along?

We probably will get at least one top player, imo. But it's like musical chairs and the music doesn't stop until the end of the transfer window. You can't fault the club or potential targets for being prudent, the fault lies within the transfer system which needs to be brought into line with the start of the season.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Now imagine you are that player, with no affinity to our club. What are the pros and cons of joining us?

If you were a top player would you sign straight away, or would you wait as long as you can to see if a better offer comes along?

We probably will get at least one top player, imo. But it's like musical chairs and the music doesn't stop until the end of the transfer window. You can't fault the club or potential targets for being prudent, the fault lies within the transfer system which needs to be brought into line with the start of the season.

Spot on, on top of that the transfer market has not even heated up yet, dozens of players will become available that currently are not yet for numerous reasons.
We are at the mercy of bigger clubs getting business done before things trickle down to the likes of us a bit.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Spot on, on top of that the transfer market has not even heated up yet, dozens of players will become available that currently are not yet for numerous reasons.
We are at the mercy of bigger clubs getting business done before things trickle down to the likes of us a bit.

Well this. As it was last season, the season before that etc etc

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Careful - with that sort of considered, well thought out post you have no place in this thread. Especially when there is time for a good rant against the recruitment team that got us here in the first place.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I don't understand how the medical team have 'saved' the Albion.

"The Brazilian has been known to suffer from knee problems during time in Belgium"

Had the fella bounced in like a spring chicken then brilliant.
The medical team did a fantastic job on saving Connor.

But to find out a player with a gammy knee has got a gammy knee, isn't even beyond Dr Nick Riviera.
Yep in my view the club exposed themselves as being a bit amateur over Neto. It was blatantly obvious his club were shopping him around looking for a mug buyer knowing full well he was crocked and we publically nearly fell for it.

No excuses on this one

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

So other clubs can achieve but we cannot. You need to ask yourself why that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Careful - with that sort of considered, well thought out post you have no place in this thread. Especially when there is time for a good rant against the recruitment team that got us here in the first place.

These considered arguments are running out of merit as the season approaches unfortunately, and the closer it gets the further I lean towards the negative side of the debate. We are playing a dangerous game in my opinion.

I will accept the possibility that, by leaving it this late, we are holding out for better quality as you and others have suggested. However, if by 1st September we have signed players such as Forshaw and Niasse then that to me gives out clear signals of last-ditch efforts when considering the prior quality we have been verifiably linked with.

I also find it exasperating that some posters even choose to believe this is all 'planned', when in reality if things had gone to plan our transfer business would have been concluded already with the likes of Abraham, Delaney/Neto etc on board.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

So other clubs can achieve but we cannot. You need to ask yourself why that is.

Do you two know each other or are you the same account?

You both seem to say the same thing and have the same ish user name.

Just curious..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep in my view the club exposed themselves as being a bit amateur over Neto. It was blatantly obvious his club were shopping him around looking for a mug buyer knowing full well he was crocked and we publically nearly fell for it.

No excuses on this one

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

I don't have a problem with the club having a look.
After all back in the day Solly might not even be walking let alone playing football.
But it could only ever have been a speculative punt, while moving on between previous and future CM targets.

It's the notion that the medical team (who clearly perform miracles most weeks, with just one player) in someway got ahead of the game, that befuddles me.
The 10th post on the Neto thread mentions his knees, the Daily Mail banner headline has the quote I originally used, the first hit googling 'Renato Neto injuries' brings up https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/renato-neto/verletzungen/spieler/112990.

As said no harm in 'kicking the tyres', but let's not pretend something happened that clearly didn't, we wouldn't want that to become a pattern. :whistle:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
We're going to go the same way as boro last season on the pitch and we're being run like Blackpool when they were in the prem off of it. Incredibly tight in defence and the bank. Difference is Blackpool were skint and knew they had next to no chance, we're supposed to have been PL ready for years ???

No incoming today or tomorrow and we're going with what we have imo at least until the 31st. They talked an amazing talk but their walk is about as good as Netos right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here