Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The establishment and historic child sex abuse

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Indeed, linking it with a certain Island

Not really Martyn.

Every time saville procured children for Edward Heath, he had to wear a Jersey.

Oh, and while you're at it, google Lord Mountbatten and Jimmy Savile together.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I watched the Louis Theroux/ Jimmy Saville thing again last night. I remember at the time thinking that this wasn't just an eccentric old man, he comes across as a narcissitic control freak. What I found especially interesting is his supreme confidence in his ability to get things done.

http://vimeo.com/52520464

On two occasions in the program he tells Theroux that if he was ever in trouble Savile could make it go away (or words to that effect.) At the time, I remember thinking it was the ramblings of a lunatic.

However, given his connections and what we imagine he knew, it may well have been the truth.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
On two occasions in the program he tells Theroux that if he was ever in trouble Savile could make it go away (or words to that effect.) At the time, I remember thinking it was the ramblings of a lunatic.

However, given his connections and what we imagine he knew, it may well have been the truth.

Yes, to both observations. How deeply depressing and utterly, utterly despicable, if true.

Do you know if Louis has passed any comment about his meetings with Savile since Savile died? I'm wondering if Theroux has subsequently said something since that he felt unable to all the time Savile was alive...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes, to both observations. How deeply depressing and utterly, utterly despicable, if true.

Do you know if Louis has passed any comment about his meetings with Savile since Savile died? I'm wondering if Theroux has subsequently said something since that he felt unable to all the time Savile was alive...

Yes - in effect he said it wasn't the biggest suprise he's ever had to have his suspicions confirmed

http://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2014/mar/23/louis-theroux-inhabit-intimate-space-jimmy-savile

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think this is a story where the media need to follow the scandal, keep on the story, day after day.

I notice today that the news cycle has pushed this out almost completely today, it's so wrong.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes - in effect he said it wasn't the biggest suprise he's ever had to have his suspicions confirmed

http://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2014/mar/23/louis-theroux-inhabit-intimate-space-jimmy-savile

Thanks for the link. Yes, you're right - that's kinda what he's saying. I'm somewhat surprised that he wasn't more forthcoming about what his suspicions were. Also, there's no mention of stuff that was said that was cut, implying that nothing more damning was in fact said.

Theroux is, imo, a genius at doing that sort of programme.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thanks for the link. Yes, you're right - that's kinda what he's saying. I'm somewhat surprised that he wasn't more forthcoming about what his suspicions were. Also, there's no mention of stuff that was said that was cut, implying that nothing more damning was in fact said.

I thought he did a pretty good job under seriously tough circumstances, it was all rumour and conjecture at this point and at least he had the balls to ask him the question. One of the things I like about his style is that he lets you make your own mind up, the program definately left you with the impression that something wasn't right without implicitly stating it.

I agree 100%, he even managed to get out of the Westboro Community Church alive and with some great material.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think this is a story where the media need to follow the scandal, keep on the story, day after day.

I notice today that the news cycle has pushed this out almost completely today, it's so wrong.

Public pressure is going to have a big role to play.

I understand there is a protest outside Parialment planned for next Friday with Bill Maloney of Pie and Mash films (watch his stuff on you tube - he's been over this for a while.)

I think I'm going to book a half day and go. I haven't felt this strongly about something since the Iraq War (and look how that ended up!)

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Shocking reading if you google that with a P-word

Heath was very friendly with an industrialist called Sir Val Duncan. I heard whispers about Sir Val down in Oz many years ago. For a while I worked in RTZ where he was Chairman. He died in 1975.

And of course the Grocer was always at Aldeburgh with Benjy Britten and Peter Pears, see their connection to :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hemmings

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
If you want to know how confident those in power can be, read the Alan Clark Diaries, just after he is appointed a Minister.

He speculates at one stage that he could open his office window and urinate out of it onto the public below but it would never reach the newspapers or media.

Somewhat similar to the Stephen Milligan satsuma scandal..

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford

I totally agree!

Things that should have happened yesterday that didn't:

1. Reappointment of the Judge to someone the victims can trust.
2. Lift the Secrets act for those that read the dossier allowing them to come forward.

Ed Milliband really missed an opportunity to question the appointment of Butler-Sloss at Prime Ministers question time.

Victims are saying they have no confidence in her appointment. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jul/09/butler-sloss-inquiry-role-asked-to-step-down

These are victims that haven't been listened to before where the alleged crimes are centered on a widespread establishment cover up, where documents get lost and people turn a blind eye, or allegedly use the information for corruption and blackmailing some of the most influential people in our country.

This is a case about unimaginable crimes against children who have no one to listen to them.

"Because I said so!" seems to be the response they got.

http://www.itv.com/news/central/upd...r-truth-about-westminster-paedophile-claims/?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...le-inquiry-judge-was-accused-of-cover-up.html

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Public pressure is going to have a big role to play.

I understand there is a protest outside Parialment planned for next Friday with Bill Maloney of Pie and Mash films (watch his stuff on you tube - he's been over this for a while.)

I think I'm going to book a half day and go. I haven't felt this strongly about something since the Iraq War (and look how that ended up!)

I very rarely feel very strongly about news but this has disgusted, annoyed and depressed me in equal measure.

For me, Edwina Currie's comment encapsulates the thinking when she says in her book that one of her cabinet colleagues was a known Pedarest. I ask what is an acceptable reaction here? Phone the Police? Refuse to work with said colleague as a point of principle? Blow the whistle on the whole thing? Well, no, apparently it is to question the appointment in your own mind on the basis that some journo's know his guily secret which could affect votes at the next election if it comes out. Couple that with her giving the keys to Broadmoor to Saville (with a not my problem attitude) and you hold your head in your hands at the shamefulness of it all. Here we are in a situation where young boys are being abused in some of the most horrendous conditions imaginable and all you can think about is some grubby votes.

Shame on you Edwina. As a mother of 2 as well. Shame on everyone else that looked the other way.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We're all going on a summer holiday now and when we return in aweek or two Butler Shlossed will have continued the cover up. The inevitable outcome. Haut de la Garenne had an enquiry and look where that went. Saville and Edward Heath both visited there but apparently those visits were above board. Saville forgot he had gone there as Harris forgot he had gone to Cambridge.

Doesn't really scan sorry.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

He's superb - which makes it all the harder to stomach my wife watching countless Stacey Dooley Investigates...

"So it turns out these people, in India right, are poor. And that's really bad."

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
I'm losing trust in Theresa May and David Cameron.

Victims want justice as well as an inquiry to look at lessons learned.

Theresa May using David Camerons prime minister question time words regarding that its an inquiry into lessons learned.

Yesterdays Prime Minister Question Time is on iplayer. Skip to Ed Millibands questions a few minutes in.

http://www.retfordtimes.co.uk/MP-s-...child-abuse/story-21444478-detail/story.html?

He said: "This year in Bassetlaw, six people have come forward and made allegations of historical child abuse, but there have been no prosecutions, Nottinghamshire Police have lost files and Nottinghamshire social services have destroyed files.

"Will that be in the remit of one of these investigations now taking place?"

Mrs May replied: "The whole point of the inquiry panel is to look at lessons learned as a result of these various reviews of historical allegations that have taken place.

"Obviously, I would expect it to be wide ranging in ensuring that it is indeed identifying all the lessons that need to be learned and the actions that need to be taken."

Mr Mann said he had also written to the Crown Prosecution Service and police demanding his constituents' cases be reopened.

He added: "I can't comment on any of the individual cases, but don't anyone try and tell me that if six people come forward, that they are all making it up.

"I believe my constituents and I believe they are victims. They want action and prosecutions – and they deserve action."

Read more: http://www.retfordtimes.co.uk/MP-s-...ory-21444478-detail/story.html?#ixzz3749Jzdnb
Read more at http://www.retfordtimes.co.uk/MP-s-...444478-detail/story.html?#zfiGA3dzHWmtxV2f.99

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Have you noticed that some papers are going for this more than others?

Decent level of coverage - Telegraph, The Mail, Express and The Independent

Barely Adequate - Guardian

Crisis, what Crisis - Sun & Times

Makes me wonder who else has got something to hide.

Is anyone able to say what sort of coverage this is getting globally? Couldn't a foreign paper go to print with names and circumnavigate our libel laws?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here