Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Shoreham Pubs

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I forgot the Burrell Arms in my listing. As regards the Beehive, I don't remember it in the late 50s early 60s when I was one of the"lads". There were a number of pubs that disappeared before that era which are recorded in some Shoreham histories. As regards good or bad pubs my determination was whether they belonged to Tamplins or to the Kemp Town Brewery in the days before Watneys and Charringtons respectively took those local brewers over.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The Beehive was on North Street opposite the junction with Ship Street. It is now a private residence but has retained the name

Ah, yes. Not one I ever went to. I think I've done all the others that I have been around for. I never went to the Kings Head, but used to go past it every Friday on my way to scouts. Always seemed to be packed.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
It has to have the highest pub to population ratio of anywhere in Suxxex!

Swiss Cottage is a dump and the other pub up at the holmbush roudabout, 2 not mentioned yet I don't think. .

The Royal George is what it is.

It's a Crown Carvery but as it's my local I've grown up in there. It's got cheap beer (£2.40-£3.50 on the lagers), it has three TV screens for the sport & they always have Brighton on when we're on TV and there's normally a good atmosphere. Yes it looks like it hasn't be decorated since the 80's and the Carvery is woeful BUT it fills in a role nicely. I think it's the onlypub in Shoreham apart from the waterside where it's viable to watch sport and I'd rather drink down the George than The Cricketers in Southwick.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
A Royal George along High Street? Whereabouts was it? I can't place it from the thumbnail.
It was between John Street and Ship Street but on the river side of High Street.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The Waterside has a new landlady who, by all accounts, is a bit of a dragon and has been barring people for not good (apparent) reason. I'm not sure what's happened to the Suiters, but it's nowhere NEAR as busy as it used to be these days – the same goes for the Crown & Anchor, but it seems to be in some sort of transition phase.

Red Lion and The Amsterdam are a bit out of the way, but I often end up in one of them, simply because they are closest to me. In town, I would favour the Sov, Bridge or the Buckingham. I haven't been in the Welly for about 20 years, but I hear a lot of good things about it. I cannot STAND the Marlipins, either, but it's normally busy.

She may be a bit of a dragon but the reason she is because of the under age drinkers, young families not looking after their kids and druggies. So basically agreeing to licensing laws and trying to make it a better pub.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
She may be a bit of a dragon but the reason she is because of the under age drinkers, young families not looking after their kids and druggies. So basically agreeing to licensing laws and trying to make it a better pub.

Fair enough. Never met the woman, just heard about her via one of the staff and one of the regulars who's been barred.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I had heard the same, though it's ages since I went over there. The Crown and Anchor I thought had new staff too. The food in there was really good 3 years ago, I gather it's not so good now - maybe it's early days.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
The waterside That's Diane, used to tun a few pubs in worthing and ran the sandwich bar in worthing

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I had heard the same, though it's ages since I went over there. The Crown and Anchor I thought had new staff too. The food in there was really good 3 years ago, I gather it's not so good now - maybe it's early days.

It's awful I took some friends over for a meal a couple of weeks ago was bugging the food up but it was truly awful I refused to pay and offered to show those in the kitchen how to cook a few things

theboybilly

Been taken over recently by Shepherd Neame who have installed awful mass production beers and wreaked what was a great menu

Fixed that for you. I emailed Shepherd Neame when they took the pub over to ask what their plans for the pub were. I love Shepherd Neame ales and was disappointed to be told they were largely leaving the pub as it is and not introducing the SN range of beers. Because of that I have continued using my usual 3 or 4 pubs

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I disagree. There are dozens more young and underage drinkers in there now, friends of her daughters I believe. Foul mouthed little chavs. The locals that have been barred were well respected, respectful and no trouble as well as being thoroughly good people . The food is shite as is the service and front of the place is now utterly festooned with garish signs offering deals, meal deals, sports bar and crap lagers. She's ruined the place. She should be ashamed.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I disagree. There are dozens more young and underage drinkers in there now, friends of her daughters I believe. Foul mouthed little chavs. The locals that have been barred were well respected, respectful and no trouble as well as being thoroughly good people . The food is shite as is the service and front of the place is now utterly festooned with garish signs offering deals, meal deals, sports bar and crap lagers. She's ruined the place. She should be ashamed.

But ... apart from that, it's ok !

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But ... apart from that, it's ok !

Luckily there is still a little hardcore of locals plus lots of people we know stop there in the summer when people come me off the beach. It's my local and so sad to see what she's doing to it.
Sunday afternoons and evenings were heaving in there with Nobby's meat raffle raising thousands for RNLI over the years, a full pub with well trained, competent staff who new your name and your tipple. I'ts dead now, just a few teenagers playing pool and some unfortunate family, poked away in the "restaurant" picking through some curly fries and frozen burger they've waited over an hour for while their kids raise merry hell in the new "family area".
Crying shame.

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Been taken over recently... wrecked what was a great menu

Agree - used to go there for the lunch menu. it's been ruined. So it's the Bridge for food and the Welly or the Buckingham Arms for beer. Although I do like sitting outside the Red Lion on a sunny sunday arvo. A little exhaust fumey but you get the last of the sun :)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Luckily there is still a little hardcore of locals plus lots of people we know stop there in the summer when people come me off the beach. It's my local and so sad to see what she's doing to it.
Sunday afternoons and evenings were heaving in there with Nobby's meat raffle raising thousands for RNLI over the years, a full pub with well trained, competent staff who new your name and your tipple. I'ts dead now, just a few teenagers playing pool and some unfortunate family, poked away in the "restaurant" picking through some curly fries and frozen burger they've waited over an hour for while their kids raise merry hell in the new "family area".
Crying shame.

Bring back the Lady Jane - without the smoke and sticky carpet

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here