The Great Escape, and NOT Praise You?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought it was a very odd choice.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Yes indeed, and as a club we have certainly been up against it.

It was sung when down to 9 again Burnley - likewise it made sense when we won with 10 against Wednesday :lol: It was different for the playoff semi, as it was before the match, and therefore referred to a two-leg tie, rather than one game (as was tradition until then). And then on Monday, it wasn't referring to one game or even 10, it was referring to decades.

Christ, this isn't rocket science.

There's no need to be so patronising. It obviously to all this isn't a case of rocket science. People with a different viewpoint understand where your coming from. We know to what the Great escape refers. Some people are just expressing a preference for Praise You. The words "We've come a long long way together" are equally evocative and, coming from one of our own and "#together, perhaps even more applicable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There's no need to be so patronising.
Oh come on, this wouldn't be NSC without a bit of piss taking. I mean no harm by it.
It obviously to all this isn't a case of rocket science. People with a different viewpoint understand where your coming from. We know to what the Great escape refers. Some people are just expressing a preference for Praise You.
I didn't think that's what BEL was saying when he said "imho best used in the context when we're up against it", which to me suggested that he felt we haven't been up against it and it was used out of context.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
After watching back the video of the celebrations where Knocky sings Kolo Toure I think he was trying to give the mic to someone else and no one wanted it and he panicked and sang that

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Could I recommend that you read "Build A Bonfire"? That magnificent tome will help you understand just how great our escape has been. .
Gosh. That is so very kind of you. Do you know, I spent time after Monday's game with Paul Hodson and Steve North, whom I've known for some years. If only they'd told me that they'd actually written some kind of book about the club's struggles...I had no idea!

Thank you so very much.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
To be honest the pitch invasion ****ed things up a bit. I'm sure they paniced and just stuck the first thing on they could find. Praise you wpuld have been great but if you werent going nits with your mates and you were questioning the choice of music, you may have no soul. They could have stuck any shit on we would have gone mental. I'm sure everything will be planned and sorted for Brizzie.

It was clear the players sung what they sing in the changing room we can all forgive them. Plenty of time to song and damce and act like twats for a few more games yet. Goldsons song was brilliant. Hopefully Duffy will be recognised and stockdale.

Aint nobody, like shane Duffy...

David stockdales magic he doesnt wear a hat...

I think if the players love the kolo and yaya song so much we could adapt it for Tomer and Kayal.

Tomer, Tomer, Tomer, Tomer, Tomer, Tomer Hemed.

Berem, Berem, Berem, berem, Berem, berem kayal.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
To be honest the pitch invasion ****ed things up a bit. I'm sure they paniced and just stuck the first thing on they could find. Praise you wpuld have been great but if you werent going nits with your mates and you were questioning the choice of music, you may have no soul. They could have stuck any shit on we would have gone mental. I'm sure everything will be planned and sorted for Brizzie.

It was clear the players sung what they sing in the changing room we can all forgive them. Plenty of time to song and damce and act like twats for a few more games yet. Goldsons song was brilliant. Hopefully Duffy will be recognised and stockdale.

Aint nobody, like shane Duffy...

David stockdales magic he doesnt wear a hat...

I think if the players love the kolo and yaya song so much we could adapt it for Tomer and Kayal.

Tomer, Tomer, Tomer, Tomer, Tomer, Tomer Hemed.

Berem, Berem, Berem, berem, Berem, berem kayal.

It was a pretty rapid improvised panic if that's the case, the music started playing about 5 seconds after the whistle with only a handful of fans only just entering the pitch.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Apologies if it's been raised elsewhere. I was astonished to hear the Great Escape ringing out after the final whistle on Monday night. If ever there was an unimaginably wonderful moment to blare out Praise You, this was surely it.

The Great Escape: hackneyed old film tune for teams that have just avoided the drop.

Praise You: a perfect fit, with those emotion-wrenching lyrics "We've come a long, long way together, through the hard times and the good…"
And, to cap it all, written by one of our own, and used to celebrate all of Albion's many victories at the Amex, over the last six seasons.

So disappointing. Anyone know why the change was made?

Agreed. The Great Escape is a massive, boring tired cliche. It also lacks momentum, and has bits with a real lull. Was expecting Praise You. Would have been so much better. More upbeat, and apt too - 'From the hard times in the past...'

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes totally agree - very very strange :)

It has it place of course - but it sings out bollocks we got out of that one lightly.

It was nice that a few media outlets connected Hereford to Monday, but to be honest I found it slightly incongruous. A bit like the Leicester "story" which failed to say 1) How much money they spent in the championship 2) How much money they spent in the Premier League.

Not that I'm under playing their achievement, but a lot of Leicester fans I suspect are a bit tired of being patted on the head.

The campaigning years are over. We've made it. This was no Great Escape.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It was a pretty rapid improvised panic if that's the case, the music started playing about 5 seconds after the whistle with only a handful of fans only just entering the pitch.
If you were listening to the tannoy 5 seconds after the game had ended I question what the **** were you doing and not celebrating with those around you.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Praise You after Brizzle please, when we are presented with the Championship trophy...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here