Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
His thoughts were that currently people won't accept unmanned aircraft and that the pilot would be there for the 1 in million (e.g. Sully Bird Strike & ditching on the Hudson River) incident an autopilot couldn't cope with. Mind you it was his Job we were talking about and he doesn't want to retire anytime soon!

I'm not sure that this scenario would apply for Southern Rail Billingshurst to London Bridge.

No, but the pressure a guard must be under is tremendous. Feet on chairs. Trying to find teenagers who've bunked the fare.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Does anyone know if there's a revised timetable from tomorrow? Southern site is slightly vague to say the least

There isn't really a revised table per say. Some services are just cancelled full stop and then a warning saying disruption likely. I'd be surprised if you get any more info than that.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
There isn't really a revised table per say. Some services are just cancelled full stop and then a warning saying disruption likely. I'd be surprised if you get any more info than that.
Was announced on the Gatwick Express from Brighton this morning that they were prioritising full service on Gatwick to London so cancelling alot of the Brighton to Gatwick (and vice versa) services.

From Brighton to Victoria they said the 6:30, 7:12 and 7:29 would be running and in the evening the 16:30; 17:30 and 18:00 to Brighton

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thank you .... I want to retire!

Their selfishness turns my £4, 12 minute journey to work that avoids Brighton station into either a same price 35 min trip that involves Brighton station and simply isn't guaranteed to turn up or the guaranteed bus journey lasting an hour sometimes an hour and a half and costing £8.50 a day.
I hope there is a huge public outcry aimed solely at the union members this time round and I hope examples are made of those striking. Utter, utter *******s.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Hopefully they will realise they were greedy sods and the 60k+ offer on a 35 hr working week was the best they were going to get, far more than they were worth and that is was the last offer they got before being sent packing.

For the millionth time it's NOT about the money. I will not accept ANY pay deal that sacrifices safety and accessibility. And once again, just because a major incident hasn't happened yet, it doesn't mean it won't. Ask the residents of Grenfall tower - all it needs is the right combination of circumstances and you have a problem.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Does anyone know if there's a revised timetable from tomorrow? Southern site is slightly vague to say the least

Journey planner seems to have some form of timetable on it.....for instance, the 7.10 from Moulsecoomb tomorrow morning, that I usually catch, isn't showing.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
For the millionth time it's NOT about the money. I will not accept ANY pay deal that sacrifices safety and accessibility. And once again, just because a major incident hasn't happened yet, it doesn't mean it won't. Ask the residents of Grenfall tower - all it needs is the right combination of circumstances and you have a problem.

Apologies if you have already covered this before, but it is a long thread....... Is your POV that you won't accept any deal regarding DOO, or are there some changes that could be made to make it safer that you would accept?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Ridiculous and sensationalist comparison. If drivers are so concerned that safety is an issue why have they turned up at all to drive DOO trains? Anyway, every train I have been on lately has had a guard type on it.
Nope, very telling drivers are striking after the offer of 60k. Basically, they thought "Well, we took action and managed to get them up to 60k, let's see how far we can push this".

It's your right to strike, it's everyone's right to withdraw their labour. But don't make out it's about anything but the money. It's crystal clear,

Bunch of mercenaries.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Ridiculous and sensationalist comparison. If drivers are so concerned that safety is an issue why have they turned up at all to drive DOO trains? Anyway, every train I have been on lately has had a guard type on it.
Nope, very telling drivers are striking after the offer of 60k. Basically, they thought "Well, we took action and managed to get them up to 60k, let's see how far we can push this".

It's your right to strike, it's everyone's right to withdraw their labour. But don't make out it's about anything but the money. It's crystal clear,

Bunch of mercenaries.

If safety was the only issue no train whatsoever would leave the station. :shrug:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Apologies if you have already covered this before, but it is a long thread....... Is your POV that you won't accept any deal regarding DOO, or are there some changes that could be made to make it safer that you would accept?

Thanks for the civil question - realistically given where we are, I think most drivers (but I only speak for myself) would accept a guarantee of a guard/OBS on every train that had one prior to the dispute - perhaps with the exception of when the worst disruption hits so we can get trains moving. That way at least passengers who need assistance can turn up and get on as is their right. I would also like the OBS to be properly safely critically trained so that they can properly assist in an emergency and a few technical things so that when the OBS steps on to the platform (which they have to do now to ensure the platform is clear and there are no customers requiring assistance) they make a clear signal to the driver that the platform is clear and then we do the rest. In the circumstances I think this would be a fair compromise although I will never be as happy as having them close the doors because they can see more clearly and hear any problems. And obviously the cameras that they have on the newer Gatwick Express trains need to be rolled out onto all the stock as fast as possible. To be honest the two sides aren't massively far apart but it's that guarantee of the OBS being on the train that is important because without that they can and will be phased out in the future.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Bunch of mercenaries.

Well you're wrong about the money - the financial offer is perfectly acceptable (at least to me) but the terms that go along with it aren't but I'm clearly never going to convince you.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks for the civil question - realistically given where we are, I think most drivers (but I only speak for myself) would accept a guarantee of a guard/OBS on every train that had one prior to the dispute - perhaps with the exception of when the worst disruption hits so we can get trains moving. ... I would also like the OBS to be properly safely critically trained...

wasn't that the last offer to RMT that they rejected? few would see fault with those conditions. will say it again, the intransigence of RMT buggered their members and the public on this as they had so many concessions out of Southern. and they've buggered the drivers because you're boxed into a principled corner after the ship has sailed (or should that be train departed), Southern aren't going to go back and reemploy/train the OBS as guards.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Thanks for the civil question - realistically given where we are, I think most drivers (but I only speak for myself) would accept a guarantee of a guard/OBS on every train that had one prior to the dispute - perhaps with the exception of when the worst disruption hits so we can get trains moving. That way at least passengers who need assistance can turn up and get on as is their right. I would also like the OBS to be properly safely critically trained so that they can properly assist in an emergency and a few technical things so that when the OBS steps on to the platform (which they have to do now to ensure the platform is clear and there are no customers requiring assistance) they make a clear signal to the driver that the platform is clear and then we do the rest. In the circumstances I think this would be a fair compromise although I will never be as happy as having them close the doors because they can see more clearly and hear any problems. And obviously the cameras that they have on the newer Gatwick Express trains need to be rolled out onto all the stock as fast as possible. To be honest the two sides aren't massively far apart but it's that guarantee of the OBS being on the train that is important because without that they can and will be phased out in the future.

Thanks for the civil response!

With regard to running with no OBS, currently trains are cancelled if no guard/OBS is available due to missed connection, sickness etc.. Would you accept this as a reason to run the train without an OBS or would you feel that the train should be delayed/cancelled in this instance? I guess this is the most likely scenario that annoys people that "just want to get home".

Again I appreciate that you can't speak for all drivers, just keen to get an understanding of the mood. Positive to hear you say that you don't think the sides are too far apart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here