Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk England call up

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
**** all of you lot saying he is not good enough. Honestly. Bloody delighted for him, and he is certainly better than Smalling and Jones. I reckon he is better than Tarkowski as well.

Southgate wants defenders like Stones who are comfortable with the ball at their feet, Dunk is a no brainer in that regard.

I certainly wasn't saying that Dunk wasn't good enough, merely that in my view he hasn't been perfoming quite as well so far this season,as he did last.

Better than Jones and Smalling? yes l believe he is. Tarkowski though l think is better than all three.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My whole point is that Southgate appears to be using these games to blood young players in not 26 year olds although it must be said that even at that age he has to be tried at some stage due to public acclaim.

If Southgate is using the Barometer that 26 is too old to make your International Debut these days, then he should go back to running the U20s or something.

What has held Dunky back at International Level was Brighton's desire to hold on to him while we were in the Championship. He had PL Options but we were so desperate to hold on to him we knew he was vital to gaining Promotion. That was plainly obvious by all the new contracts he signed to hold on to him.

If he had gone to a PL team many years ago he would be an England player by now - When we did get to the PL, he was unfortunate. He was playing brilliantly but when Southgate came to watch him he didn't have his best games..

He is a great Centre Back but he does still have the odd error in him and that would be a concern at International level but he should at the very least be called into an England Squad for the England Manager to see him at close quarters and then make a decision.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Aide from all this ridiculousness, can we actually believe that 10 years ago, using an athletics track as our stadium, 1000000 miles away from the PL, that one day in the not to distant future we would have a player playing for England? This is wonderful and anyone who says otherwise can do one. And one of the best things about this is that it's sent the Newcast and Wolves fans into meltdown due to the fact coady and lascelles weren't called up, despite it being clearly obvious that Southgate prefers ball playing centre halfs. Well done Dunky. Truly and totally deserved.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Pity Bruno and Bong arent English

Completely irrelevant given neither are anywhere near good enough and have never been.

Kayal though would walk (and run and run) in the current England team, just the type of player missing in the middle

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I certainly wasn't saying that Dunk wasn't good enough, merely that in my view he hasn't been perfoming quite as well so far this season,as he did last.

Better than Jones and Smalling? yes l believe he is. Tarkowski though l think is better than all three.
I agree, was aimed at the explicit statement elsewhere that he 'wasn't good enough for England'.

I don't rate Tarkowski particularly but fair enough.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Aide from all this ridiculousness, can we actually believe that 10 years ago, using an athletics track as our stadium, 1000000 miles away from the PL, that one day in the not to distant future we would have a player playing for England? This is wonderful and anyone who says otherwise can do one. And one of the best things about this is that it's sent the Newcast and Wolves fans into meltdown due to the fact coady and lascelles weren't called up, despite it being clearly obvious that Southgate prefers ball playing centre halfs. Well done Dunky. Truly and totally deserved.

Makes it sweeter it’s a player who has been on that journey with us

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Really hope this is true. We should be buzzing and excited for him and very proud rather than nitpicking if he’s good enough & who’s possibly better ffs.

Oh and just to join the binfest, Dunk is better than Smalling & Jones. Just cos they’re at a big club doesn’t make them suddenly great players!

100%

I think some people just want to sound different or have a very blinkered view of football. It is unfortunate that defenders make mistakes from time to time. It is a symptom of the job. Ateotd they have to mop up everyone else's mistakes as well and take those on the chin. He's no Maldini but Rashford is no Robbie Fowler (not even Jamie Vardy) and for goodness sake Livermore was no Pirlo but they got their chance.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Congrats to Dunky, he's had to wait maybe longer than he should have for that given some of the others selected ahead of him so it will be all the sweeter.

I do think that Southgate suffers slightly from an idea (shared by others in football, but not me) that if you haven't played for England already by 26 then you probably aren't good enough. But this ignores players maturing at different rates, or coming up from Championship like Dunk.

Glad he has overcome this prejudice and sure he will do okay given a chance.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Southgate is using the Barometer that 26 is too old to make your International Debut these days, then he should go back to running the U20s or something.

What has held Dunky back at International Level was Brighton's desire to hold on to him while we were in the Championship. He had PL Options but we were so desperate to hold on to him we knew he was vital to gaining Promotion. That was plainly obvious by all the new contracts he signed to hold on to him.

If he had gone to a PL team many years ago he would be an England player by now - When we did get to the PL, he was unfortunate. He was playing brilliantly but when Southgate came to watch him he didn't have his best games..

He is a great Centre Back but he does still have the odd error in him and that would be a concern at International level but he should at the very least be called into an England Squad for the England Manager to see him at close quarters and then make a decision.

Is it any coincidence that Paul Nevin is now in the coaching set up so possibly put a word in. I would ask however why now when he is not playing as well as last season and considered then to be not good enough.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Is it any coincidence that Paul Nevin is now in the coaching set up so possibly put a word in.

I have no idea - I think he probably got it on Merit but if there was any string pulling or ''words put in'' as you put it BG. I would suggest that would have come from someone moving in the other direction

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I have no idea - I think he probably got it on Merit but if there was any string pulling or ''words put in'' as you put it BG. I would suggest that would have come from someone moving in the other direction

Seems unlikely. Dunk has been called up as he's a quality CB. Fingers crossed he gets a run out.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought that Dunk and Lascelles were the best two English centre backs over course of last season. So it was obviously strange that not only were neither at the World Cup, but also not called up or got as much as a minute in a friendly throughout the campaign.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I thought that Dunk and Lascelles were the best two English centre backs over course of last season. So it was obviously strange that not only were neither at the World Cup, but also not called up or got as much as a minute in a friendly throughout the campaign.

I rate Lascelles highly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I should imagine that Conor Coady would be ahead of him now.

Dunk is not good enough for England.

Coady is barely younger than Dunk (25 to 26), has far less Prem experience (8 games to 46), and despite Wolves brilliant defensive record so far, is really not very good.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Especially when England played a fullback as a central defender.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here