Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daryl horgan and Richie Towell

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Players from the League of Ireland just don't get considered for a call-up, regardless of well they are playing. Sitting on the bench in League One is deemed better. This a long-standing gripe among LOI clubs and supporters.

And I agree with whoever it was who said he's the been the best player the LOI has seen in the past few years.

Yes I asked him why and said no one from LOI been called up really for last 25 years.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Brian Kerr did a few LOI callups; but he had been on the coalface himself at St Pats only a while beforehand. Beyond that it has become a running joke that players will sign for a League 1 club, not get a game and suddenly get a callup.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Bridcutt wasnt deemed good enough for Palace......

Not strictly true - the recently arrived George Burley offered him a deal, but Bridcutt didn't accept it. He went back to train at Chelsea, had a week's trial at Torquay and then got a call from Gus.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I assume we can complete the transfer now as the Oirish season has finished. He can come and train with us and then register him on 1st Jan when the window opens again.

Hopefully if we do the deal now we can apply for International clearance too, so he might get that by May.

Not sure if he could play in the dev squad as " A Trialist" in the meantime?

He'd need international clearance for competitive U21 games, could play in friendlies though. Not sure on Sussex Senior Cup rules.

Liam

Jul 15, 2003
Dublin
Brian Kerr did a few LOI callups; but he had been on the coalface himself at St Pats only a while beforehand. Beyond that it has become a running joke that players will sign for a League 1 club, not get a game and suddenly get a callup.

Ahhh... good old Brian Kerr. In 2004, Jason Byrne scored 25 goals in 33 league games. Kerr called him up, put him on the bench and brought him on for (literally) the last 30 seconds of the match. Needless to say, Kerr has been immortalised in song down in Tolka Park as a result of this.

Liam

Jul 15, 2003
Dublin
Yes I asked him why and said no one from LOI been called up really for last 25 years.

Here's an example: Kevin Doyle was playing for Cork City, scoring in European ties and so on. No sign of a call-up, though. In June 2005, he signed for Reading. Oct 2005 - first international call-up. Reading must have done something amazing to him in their pre-season to turn him into an international class player in a couple of months.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
First BHA player to make it on the front cover of FIFA

imagejpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 591

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He had a trial with Cardiff last year and they did not want him. So maybe not get too excited. He has obviously had a great season.

Saw an interview with him yesterday in which he said his head wasn't in the right place at that stage, as all his Dundalk team mates were off out on the lash, having just won the league, while he was sat alone in a Cardiff hotel, trying to keep focused. He also suggested that he didn't feel Cardiff was the club for him. Perhaps he has a better feeling about the Albion, and they've made him feel wanted. His previous experience of working with Calderwood might help, I guess.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Media here saying he has turned down approaches from Turkish and Polish clubs in favour of the UK, for his "expected move to Brighton"

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Media here saying he has turned down approaches from Turkish and Polish clubs in favour of the UK, for his "expected move to Brighton"

Oooh... maybe then...

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Sorry, I can't get too excited about this. Unproven at this level. I remember getting excited about Holla, Harley, Agustien etc, all of whom came with more pedigree and have ultimately been mediocre at best. Really hope I'm wrong and he's a world-beater but will hold fire on the optimism ahead of us discovering that he's 6th choice behind Kayal, Stephens, Crofts, Ince and JFC. (Maybe even Holla)

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
Sorry, I can't get too excited about this. Unproven at this level. I remember getting excited about Holla, Harley, Agustien etc, all of whom came with more pedigree and have ultimately been mediocre at best. Really hope I'm wrong and he's a world-beater but will hold fire on the optimism ahead of us discovering that he's 6th choice behind Kayal, Stephens, Crofts, Ince and JFC. (Maybe even Holla)

I think you are right to not get too excited about a midfielder we are buying for somewhere in the region of 100k at this level.
They are punts. Just like Hola was a punt.
To get excited by a signing at this level you need to spend £2 mill+ or a veteran.
But sometimes these punts pays off, it looks like he is a good one. Plenty of skill, goals and passion. Lots of admirers and he seems very determined to succeed unlike Harley.

It's his big chance!!!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If he does sign i expect Hunemaier will take him to training early in order to reserve the best spot in the changing rooms.

LoL! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here