Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

21 mile walk...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Mid 50's, yes, have done twice this Summer, fairly regularly 12-15 miles. It's all about my FitBit steps and having a dog!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
No

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The beagle loves it but certainly slows the pace having to wait for him or go back , as if not eating poo rolling in it, or sniffing out a discarded picnic site. I always mean to put my Garmin on him to see what extra distance he covers.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Walked up and down Snowdon last month. Minus 2 at the very top and we are talking July. 21 miles probably take up most of the day at my pace so it's a yes from me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yeah, regularly do. Whether it be South Downs, London Canals, Lake District etc. Myself and a mate do regular walking weekends and can easily do 20-25 miles in a day. As long as you take it at a steady pace and have food and water it's fine. Will do these walks on my own sometimes but much more enjoyable and easier with company.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I set out from my place in Southwick (off Downsway) on New Years Day 2012 to start the way I intended to be during the year and to save myself from gorging and boozing as I had done over the previous week or so.

Set off around 10am on one of the shortest days of the year with rucksack food and a flask. Started well as I crossed Southwick Hill and walked up past Mile Oak Farm and then it was all up hill to Truleigh Hill and I arrived on the South Downs Way soaked through to the skin. By now it's 2.30ish and took shelter in the YHA where I rang out my socks and the layers of clothing I had on.

Set off again west along the ridge with Henfield to my right and the light hadn't been good all day began to disappear altogether. I wasn't carrying a torch (big mistake) as I was now descending towards Shoreham with the Cement Works to my right at least I guessed they were. It was pitch black a mile or so before I crossed the A27 on the bridge and got down to Old Shoreham Road and managed to get some food shopping at Coop Holmbush Roundabout. Still another half hour to get home back up the hill and got in 7ish.

Why I've gone into detail is because I've not done it since and in fact picked up a back injury in March so that ruled out a lot of walking this summer. However I'm now feeling confident to repeat what I did New Years Day 2012 only this time I'll check weather etc before making the sarnies.

Not sure of the distance covered but estimate at 12 miles.

Ha! I remember that day well, dark, gloomy, rained all day, hung over, think we played Southampton next day ... that kept me going! Sounds like you did more than 12 miles imho

Back to the OP question - Yes

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I enjoy walking but the most has been 15 miles in a day. You need proper walking socks and boots. I did an organised walk of the South Downs Way. It is 106 miles in total from Eastbourne to Winchester and it took 9 days. The company ( Footprints or Footsteps) picked you up from near your home everyday and dropped you back every night.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
That's not far off the longest distance I would run on my weekly long run when I'm training in the build up for distance races, so I assume walking it would be ok (it'd take a bloody long time to walk though so I'd probably prefer to run it given the choice).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I enjoy walking but the most has been 15 miles in a day. You need proper walking socks and boots. I did an organised walk of the South Downs Way. It is 106 miles in total from Eastbourne to Winchester and it took 9 days. The company ( Footprints or Footsteps) picked you up from near your home everyday and dropped you back every night.

*cough* just under 25 hours in one go :D:D (still slower than [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION]). Doing it again next year hopefully, hoping to get under 24 hours.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

I bought some proper walking boots in January, I walked around my flat in them, felt like walking on polystyrene blocks, they are now under the stairs.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
No, not walking, I'd get bored. Have done a lot of hiking in the Alps, but was all planned, probably not 21 miles distance. I've gone on a 100 mile bike ride on a whim. But I regular ride 50 - 80 miles so wasn't that much more of a push.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
When I lived in the Midlands I did the Coventry Way 40 mile walk several times, but I can't say a walk of that distance in a day is ever that much fun, much as I love walking; in my case I like the time to enjoy the surroundings rather than just hurtling onwards (which is why I don't enjoy running or cycling so much).

To get prepared for it I did lots of 20 to 25 miles walks at the weekends, which were lovely when it was below freezing in a winter morning - really beautiful in the frost - but a lot less enjoyable in the rain. My experience after that was that things only started hurting after around 34 miles.

Personally I would say that a 15 mile walk should be about the limit if someone isn't used to longer walks, then work up to a longer one. 21 miles as a first walk seems a bit long to me. It does depend on the terrain, though. 12 miles through the Peak District can be a lot worse than 18 miles along the seafront or a river.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When I lived in the Midlands I did the Coventry Way 40 mile walk several times, but I can't say a walk of that distance in a day is ever that much fun, much as I love walking; in my case I like the time to enjoy the surroundings rather than just hurtling onwards (which is why I don't enjoy running or cycling so much).

To get prepared for it I did lots of 20 to 25 miles walks at the weekends, which were lovely when it was below freezing in a winter morning - really beautiful in the frost - but a lot less enjoyable in the rain. My experience after that was that things only started hurting after around 34 miles.

Personally I would say that a 15 mile walk should be about the limit if someone isn't used to longer walks, then work up to a longer one. 21 miles as a first walk seems a bit long to me. It does depend on the terrain, though. 12 miles through the Peak District can be a lot worse than 18 miles along the seafront or a river.

Works the other way as well though - doing flat courses usually ends up hurting way more than those that involves hills for equivalent time on feet (accepting I'll cover a bit less distance in the same time over hills/offroad). Greater variety of muscles need to be used, resulting in less damage/fatigue to specific areas.

Completely with you on the winter mornings - my favourite time to run on the Downs. Can't beat a clear, crisp, frosty morning.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Summer 2013, I realised I had nothing planned one Saturday and, waking early, just decided to set off for Eastbourne. It's about 17 miles from where I live on the southern edge of Lewes, via Southease, Firle Beacon and Alfriston. I do a fair bit of walking on the Downs and have decent boots. I made it fine but was weary and stiff by the end around 3pm. Luckily, my missus drove over to buy me ice cream and tea at Holywell caff and, more importantly, tipped me in the car and brought me home.

So yeah, go for it.

PG

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Works the other way as well though - doing flat courses usually ends up hurting way more than those that involves hills for equivalent time on feet (accepting I'll cover a bit less distance in the same time over hills/offroad). Greater variety of muscles need to be used, resulting in less damage/fatigue to specific areas.

Completely with you on the winter mornings - my favourite time to run on the Downs. Can't beat a clear, crisp, frosty morning.

OT - I suppose neither you and / or the young superstar are free on Sunday? (This might not be the first time you've been asked this question...)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here