Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two weeks

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If you say so. Are you suggesting we're not a lot stronger than we were this time last year?

I'm suggesting we werent good enough last season and we've not done anything to convince me we'll be better than we were last season.

I don't see us going on a run like we did to start the last season, thus I see us ending up with less points this season than last.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm suggesting we werent good enough last season and we've not done anything to convince me we'll be better than we were last season.

I don't see us going on a run like we did to start the last season, thus I see us ending up with less points this season than last.

But if we get 89 points again, the odds are we would go up this year. I think you're being massively unfair on last season's team when we played so well. And, in the second half of last season, when we had this squad, we were comfortably second despite losing the first three games before making signings. So we were good enough there.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The thought of footy starting fills me of dread for the end of our tropical summer and delving into the north pole winter. I'll still keep thinking hot, hot, hot before the season starts.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But if we get 89 points again, the odds are we would go up this year. I think you're being massively unfair on last season's team when we played so well. And, in the second half of last season, when we had this squad, we were comfortably second despite losing the first three games before making signings. So we were good enough there.

I don't see us getting anywhere near 89 points this season in a stronger division.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't see us getting anywhere near 89 points this season in a stronger division.

I'm not sure we will either. Ignoring the stronger division comment, it is very difficult to get 89 points. However, this stronger division stuff I don't buy. Yes, Newcastle probably are stronger than any team we played last season but I don't think Norwich or Villa are amazing and they replace the three teams who went up who, by definition, were strong last season. Don't think any of the promoted League 1 sides will be near the top six.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I have been expecting the Olympics to happen then get ready for football, are they going to collide, well just ignore the Olympics then!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'm not sure we will either. Ignoring the stronger division comment, it is very difficult to get 89 points. However, this stronger division stuff I don't buy. Yes, Newcastle probably are stronger than any team we played last season but I don't think Norwich or Villa are amazing and they replace the three teams who went up who, by definition, were strong last season. Don't think any of the promoted League 1 sides will be near the top six.

We can easily be passed by the other play off teams in and around us that remained in the division if we don't improve. It's more likely we slip back into the pack than better what we did last season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wrong. I'm not normally one of the doom and gloom crew. I'm realistic.

I just hear all this guff from TB saying after missing out on promotion that his amibtion is now stronger than ever to get us to the PL. I'm not seeing that in what we've done in the off season so far.

Until something happens that proves otherwise then i'll hold to my current view.

I don't class holding onto the players we have anything remarkable. They are all under contract so they can't just walk on us to another club.

It seems that questioning how well we are doing SO FAR in the off season is a no no. If we just waited until a month into the season when the transfer window closed this place would be like a morgue on football talk from May to August. Apparently it's negative to suggest that we might lose games because we have spread the squad over two matches as it is to suggest that players may be off.

I look forward to having all my "negative" comments rammed down my throat as we enter the season having lost nobody and having signed a Premier League quality nippy forward and a classy creative midfielder as well as a quality CB. As things stand I don't think that's going to happen, love to be wrong.

As pissed off as people get with my negativity I get just as pissed off with their rose tinted spectacle approach.

As you correctly state we have not added anything to the squad that did so well but fell short last season. We have gained Sidwell, who was here for the run in anyway, and Murray but lost Zamora, Wilson and Greer.

To go one better than we did last season we are going to have to improve what we have at the moment in quite a few positions. If we don't the best we can expect is playoffs, which is fine but let's not pretend we are looking at auto with the current squad..IMO.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The friendlies have been really poor so far: no shape, little passing, few shots or opportunities to shoot.....BUT as yet we haven't played the first team together. I'm hoping that tonight will be the last training exercise and we'll use the final couple of games to work on some shape with the first team. I'm really pleased that we've managed to keep hold of last years first team, we'll not be far off again if we're lucky with injuries.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Last 2 friendliest we need to get the staring 11 playing together.
What I would say is we did some cracking recruitment in January this year. The squad as a whole were the 2nd best in the division and the best from the end of January. Recruitment has been ok so far. Murray for Zamora. Hall in place of Greer and Sidwell in for Crofts. Calderon has also been covered by the new lad signed. Yes we all expect another CB and a CF and possibly something else in the middle of the park but the squad looks pretty healthy. Obviously we need to have Stephens, Godstone and March back on the pitch sooner rather than later but we will do decent this year

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One year ago, and some of the usual suspects saying exactly the same thing that they do every July.
Recruitment not good enough, we won't get enough points, don't look good in friendlies, and we're not ready for the season.

Nobody knows how we'll do, so try to enjoy what we've got instead of whinging about what we haven't.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
At least the football ( and transfer market discussion in particular ) is way more interesting than the North Stand Politics threads.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
One year ago, and some of the usual suspects saying exactly the same thing that they do every July.
Recruitment not good enough, we won't get enough points, don't look good in friendlies, and we're not ready for the season.

Nobody knows how we'll do, so try to enjoy what we've got instead of whinging about what we haven't.

Yes, and the usual 'club can do no wrong, rose-tinted spectacle wearing' dullards spouting the same old sh1t even when the club say they need 4 more players...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Dreading? We've retained the full squad which ended last season on 89 points. We've also added 4 astute signings and I'm sure there are a few more to come. Enjoy the ride, we're going to be the team to beat this year.

Love your optimism that we are going to be the team to beat. Am really looking forward to the new season, am excited and already have that feeling in the pit of my stomach. Can't wait. :O:O:O:O:O:O

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, and the usual 'club can do no wrong, rose-tinted spectacle wearing' dullards spouting the same old sh1t even when the club say they need 4 more players...

I don't know anyone who doesn't say we need more players, but us dullards also know that there is a full month of the transfer window left.

As for the club can do no wrong, have a look at my posts on the Seagull's TV threads. I can moan as well as the rest of them.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I don't know anyone who doesn't say we need more players, but us dullards also know that there is a full month of the transfer window left.

As for the club can do no wrong, have a look at my posts on the Seagull's TV threads. I can moan as well as the rest of them.

Hi TB. End of window is too late IMHO. I won't repeat the reason for this because the dullards won't accept or understand it anyway![emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hi TB. End of window is too late IMHO. I won't repeat the reason for this because the dullards won't accept or understand it anyway![emoji3]

This dullard really likes Shane Duffy, who arrived on 26th August 2016. Not quite the very end of the window, granted, but fairly late.

I also liked Elliott Bennett who arrived fairly late in August a few years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here