Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we always bottle the big games?

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Any notion of bottling, choking or equivalent is completely without foundation, IMHO. We played a very well drilled team managed by a world class coach and, but for Darlow’s heroics in goal (he was really excellent on the night and saved a couple of near certs), and for the one-in-a-million fluke of an equaliser (which knocked us back), on another day we’d easily have won or drawn that game.

Having just watched the highlights (again) I actually feel quite uplifted in that although we didn’t play at our best (Newcastle didn’t let us) we still gave a bloody good account of ourselves against a Premier League quality team and were within a whisker of a positive result.

We typically bounce back stronger after a setback, which is the sign of a great team. I am feeling optimistic about the Forest game and hope that, come Saturday 5pm, last night will be but a distant memory on our road to promotion. On paper, our run in doesn’t look too bad by comparison with the Toon’s, who still have to play a number of the top 7 teams. I would like to think that CH is relatively more relaxed about that than is Benitez at this stage of the season.

It all bodes well for another nail biting season finale. But, as you all know, we are Brighton and we don't do things the easy way!

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Ever since we've moved to the Amex, we always manage to **** up the biggest games. After we went 1-0 up we should have gone for the throat, instead we tried to put 11 men behind the ball for most of the remaning time and got what we deserved. Yes Newcastle's 1st was a bit fortunate but that is going to happen if you keep giving them the ball back and allow them too much space.

I'm not overreacting btw, I still think we're in a healthy position but people on here need to stop banging on about us being 'Champions', we saw them playing tonight and it wasn't us, lets hope we can get over the line in 2nd, hopefully we've got some more winnable games on the horizon.

Yes you are overreacting. Massively. Give up and grab the plastic sheets if it makes 'the pain' go away but i'm seeing a much bigger picture, and it is good. Lessons to be learned from games like this will make the team stronger. Move on. Fair enough, you are passionate and emotional but you are making huge judgements on the Albion that are not true. Bottle jobs, we are not pal. :wrong:

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
Ever since we've moved to the Amex, we always manage to **** up the biggest games. After we went 1-0 up we should have gone for the throat, instead we tried to put 11 men behind the ball for most of the remaning time and got what we deserved. Yes Newcastle's 1st was a bit fortunate but that is going to happen if you keep giving them the ball back and allow them too much space.

I'm not overreacting btw, I still think we're in a healthy position but people on here need to stop banging on about us being 'Champions', we saw them playing tonight and it wasn't us, lets hope we can get over the line in 2nd, hopefully we've got some more winnable games on the horizon.

From a Newcastle United forum ..puts a different slant on it
TJR wrote:
Extremely satisfying to win when we didn't deserve to. Time and time again it's been the other way round this season. Finally got a bit of long overdue good luck.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Reading was a big game, tonight was season changing and we made the perfect start... But we didn't see it through for even a draw, that's bottling it unfortunately.

It wasn't season changing win or lose! It was a "big" game sure and its disapointing that we lost but we are still second and we have another 12 games left. If we win next and they lose is that season changing? No. But it will put us exactly back where we were.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
TJR wrote:
Extremely satisfying to win when we didn't deserve to. Time and time again it's been the other way round this season. Finally got a bit of long overdue good luck.

Funnily enough the newcastle fans we spoke to after the game said similar. They were very gracious in victory indeed.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It wasn't season changing win or lose! It was a "big" game sure and its disapointing that we lost but we are still second and we have another 12 games left. If we win next and they lose is that season changing? No. But it will put us exactly back where we were.

We could have gone 4 points clear at the top and 9 clear of 3rd. That is a huge difference. Maybe not 'season changing' but could have a massive impact if it turns out like last season in the last couple of games...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We could have gone 4 points clear at the top and 9 clear of 3rd. That is a huge difference. Maybe not 'season changing' but could have a massive impact if it turns out like last season in the last couple of games...

If me uncle was me aunt.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I wouldn’t call it ‘bottling the game’ – more a lack of any plan B after earlier attempts on goal failed. I don’t think that the goalkeeper punting long, high balls upfield does much, and this was what we got every time Stockdale had the ball. Albion’s inability to string more than one pass together, combined with a lack of support for Knockaert and others when they did get the ball anywhere near the Newcastle, goal meant that scoring opportunities became few. March should have replaced Murray long before he came on. I thought that the whole debacle was down to management of the team. Where were the tactics to change things around?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
TJR wrote:

images 13.02.27.jpg

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I dont think we bottle it but there's certainly an argument that the football gods generally don't treat us kindly in big games at the business end of the season.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13

Unfortunately until May 7th every game that Brighton, Newcastle and Huddersfield play will be season defining

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I dont think we bottle it but there's certainly an argument that the football gods generally don't treat us kindly in big games at the business end of the season.
Footballing god's.. not sure there is any god but that is for one of many other threads. But, if there is a footballing god, surely we would be given some luck at some point?

CH has a plan a, he then reverted to his usual plan b, defend. If he had reverted to the occasional plan c, brought on Hemed and March, we may have won or managed to save a point. Either way, I don't think it was the footballing god's fault, unless you think CH is that god.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Any notion of bottling, choking or equivalent is completely without foundation, IMHO. We played a very well drilled team managed by a world class coach and, but for Darlow’s heroics in goal (he was really excellent on the night and saved a couple of near certs), and for the one-in-a-million fluke of an equaliser (which knocked us back), on another day we’d easily have won or drawn that game.

Having just watched the highlights (again) I actually feel quite uplifted in that although we didn’t play at our best (Newcastle didn’t let us) we still gave a bloody good account of ourselves against a Premier League quality team and were within a whisker of a positive result.

We typically bounce back stronger after a setback, which is the sign of a great team. I am feeling optimistic about the Forest game and hope that, come Saturday 5pm, last night will be but a distant memory on our road to promotion. On paper, our run in doesn’t look too bad by comparison with the Toon’s, who still have to play a number of the top 7 teams. I would like to think that CH is relatively more relaxed about that than is Benitez at this stage of the season.

It all bodes well for another nail biting season finale. But, as you all know, we are Brighton and we don't do things the easy way!
How are they a premier league quality team when they're playing in the championship or have I missed something?????

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
We are a very good team at this level. But unfortunately there are two better teams in the league at present. With better squads.

We just have to hope hudds fall away and have a dip.

Feel bad for even biting but this is FAKE NEWS. if there were. then they would have more points. wouldn't they ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here