Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Nigel Farage end up a great British political leader?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
If they're all paying into NI, and taxes, you do.

The aging population in all the mature western industrial nations requires either working-age people with constantly rising incomes, or a steady supply of immigrants, or both, to pay for the increased costs of future social provision.

The numerator is growing -- old people. The denominator -- the number of working-age people supporting each of those olds, or their income, or both -- has to grow to maintain a given level of social provision.

Fully understand that. But where is this steady supply of immigrants going to live, be educated and go when they are ill?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Fully understand that. But where is this steady supply of immigrants going to live, be educated and go when they are ill?
Same place as everyone else. A nation of immigrants isn't the worst thing in the world -- Australia's 23% foreign born, Canada's up over 15%.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I've listened to the whole thing and honestly believe that if you believe a word that comes out of Nigel Farage's mouth... you are mental. Completely mental.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
So very true...but Aus and the Canoops have far more space than this tiny island has...

Not entirely true. Land mass yes, habitable areas not so much. People dont want to live in woop woop and the country towns dont have enough water etc to support thw population. Most cities are geographically restricted by natural barriers here in oz, and most work is either in the cities or mines.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Not entirely true. Land mass yes, habitable areas not so much. People dont want to live in woop woop and the country towns dont have enough water etc to support thw population. Most cities are geographically restricted by natural barriers here in oz, and most work is either in the cities or mines.

I Australia everyone lives around the edge, few venture further into the centre.

D

Deleted member 22389

EU is good for business, trade, freedom of movement, it certainly helps exporters like me.

Bad for the working man, as wages forced down. Bad for pressure on housing, hospitals, schools.

Labour admitted they hugely underestimated the numbers of Eastern Europeans that would come here, and with the rules as they are, the Tories can do nothing about European immigration. Do we really want a population of 80 million?

And this is main crux of the problem for me. It's bad for the working man, it's driven wages down, it puts pressure on our housing, hospitals, doctors and schools. What about our own quality of life and our own personal space at the end of all this? I don't want us all living on top of each other and I don't want a situation where you have hundreds of people going for one minimum wage job in the future. Thank you very much Labour. Do these politicians care, like hell they do. Their jobs are safe, and our voices are gone all the time there is this supposed case for the economy.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
And this is main crux of the problem for me. It's bad for the working man, it's driven wages down, it puts pressure on our housing, hospitals, doctors and schools. What about our own quality of life and our own personal space at the end of all this? I don't want us all living on top of each other and I don't want a situation where you have hundreds of people going for one minimum wage job in the future. Thank you very much Labour. Do these politicians care, like hell they do. Their jobs are safe, and our voices are gone all the time there is this supposed case for the economy.

Do you really think the problems you identify are caused by EU immigration? Did EU immigrants make companies decide to outsource to China and India? Did EU immigrants cause the banking crisis and the recession? Did EU immigrants cut welfare benefits? Did EU immigrants stop the building of social housing? Did EU immigrants squander the benefits of North Sea Oil? Did EU immigrants sell off all the council housing?

Of course they didn't. Immigration from EU countries counter balanced by emigration to EU countries (is it 1.5m Brits living in Spain?) is part of the solution to an ageing population and the EU is a necessary part of the defence of our values in a global world. Farage is the latest in a long line of populists who scaremonger and blame the "outsider"

D

Deleted member 22389

Do you really think the problems you identify are caused by EU immigration? Did EU immigrants make companies decide to outsource to China and India? Did EU immigrants cause the banking crisis and the recession? Did EU immigrants cut welfare benefits? Did EU immigrants stop the building of social housing? Did EU immigrants squander the benefits of North Sea Oil? Did EU immigrants sell off all the council housing?

Of course they didn't. Immigration from EU countries counter balanced by emigration to EU countries (is it 1.5m Brits living in Spain?) is part of the solution to an ageing population and the EU is a necessary part of the defence of our values in a global world. Farage is the latest in a long line of populists who scaremonger and blame the "outsider"

Is there anywhere in my last post where I was blaming migrants, the answer is No. All I care about like a lot of other people is that there is enough to go around for everyone, is that really such a bad thing? You know there is a tipping point with all these things.

Counter balanced are you sure? I don't buy this argument, not with EU migration or migration from outside the EU. A lot more people have come to the UK than have left.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Is there anywhere in my last post where I was blaming migrants, the answer is No. All I care about like a lot of other people is that there is enough to go around for everyone, is that really such a bad thing? You know there is a tipping point with all these things.

Counter balanced are you sure? I don't buy this argument, not with EU migration or migration from outside the EU. A lot more people have come to the UK than have left.

Any chance you can respond to the question I posed to you in post 71?

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003
There are too many immigrants in this country........like Nigel Farage's wife. She is a German national called Kirsten Mehr.

He keeps that quiet. And we know what Basil Fawlty and the Major thought of Germans. (Not my opinion I should add!!)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
There are too many immigrants in this country........like Nigel Farage's wife. She is a German national called Kirsten Mehr.

He keeps that quiet. And we know what Basil Fawlty and the Major thought of Germans. (Not my opinion I should add!!)

if he keeps that quiet how do you know about it?

I think its well known and very much in the public domain.

I think you are a little confused about Farage's views on immigration.

He can't be very xenophobic if he is married to a German woman, I would guess.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Yes.

Some of my BEST friends are black.

if people genuinely have black best friends then they are usually unlikely to be racist. thats if you subscribe to the prevailing simplistic British definition of a racist being a permanent state, something you either are or aren't.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I honestly couldn't see a question there.

This is what I said:

I agree that getting our young into work would be a good thing. But why blame immigrants, when the real reason is that we don't care about unemployment any more. Go back forty years, and figures of a quarter of million would be considered as a crisis. Now our Coalition politicians are busy congratulating themselves that it's diminished by tens of thousands to about 2.4 million. And that's with the dodgy way in which they've been calculating it since Thatcher came in.

It was in response to you saying:

That is probably the biggest reason I stopped voting for Labour, stupid people who associate a cap on immigration as being Xenophobic, Racist and Bigotted. A cap on immgration would be a good thing. One of the reasons would be a good chance for this country to catch up, and get some our young people in to work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here