Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

End of season clear out

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was. He's said that he accepts that he'll only be offered one-year deals at this stage of his career, and that he's perfectly happy with it.

So .. at the end of the season out of the current first choice back five.. .we have three out of contract and one who's loan spell ends ...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So .. at the end of the season out of the current first choice back five.. .we have three out of contract and one who's loan spell ends ...

It is actually quite difficult to track down the info, the club seem to be cagey in releasing such details, but I think:
Calde, Bruno, Upson and the three goalkeepers are out of contract in the summer
Greer and Dunk are both contracted to 2015
Chicksen is also under contract, but not sure to when.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It is actually quite difficult to track down the info, the club seem to be cagey in releasing such details, but I think:

Thats about right from what i know...i find it interesting when certain local media talk about Brighton building a team from the back when only one of the current first choice 5 is actually in contract at the end of the season....although it could be said whats a contract worth these days

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I keep track of this info for the entire squad and have offered (via [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]) to make it available on NSC.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Although Greer had his contract extended to fend off unwanted advances by Leeds in particular he still might be off if an acceptable bid comes in for him over the summer.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Anyone hopeful of Ward returning to Wolves is bonkers. One of our most assured and consistent performers all season. A key reason why our defence has such an outstanding record.

As for Lopez, the name just makes me feel depressed now. Could we possibly just bring him in for the one game in every 20 when he plays brilliantly and send him away for the other 19 matches? Be much cheaper too.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Anyone hopeful of Ward returning to Wolves is bonkers. One of our most assured and consistent performers all season. A key reason why our defence has such an outstanding record.

As for Lopez, the name just makes me feel depressed now. Could we possibly just bring him in for the one game in every 20 when he plays brilliantly and send him away for the other 19 matches? Be much cheaper too.
He isn't our player , Wolves sent him out on loan for the season to reduce their wagebill whilst they're playing in League 1. We may or maybe not paying all of his wages now but can we afford to pay him the same if we signed him permanently next season with a further tightening of the FFP belt ? I personally would like Ward to stay but will the club look for a cheaper option ? (after-all it is their decision). We all wanted Spanish Dave to come back so we have to take the collective blame as it hasn't worked out for either the fans or himself.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
We have the best defence in the league. Keep them all if we can.

We score the least number of goals. Get in a real quality central midfield player, and another striker and we're there.

Losing Crofts was a huge blow, as was not replacing Barnes.

I agree. The final ball in and a Lingard type striker who can actually play football and we'd be up there. Been a bit unlucky this year me thinks. But still have a faint chance...

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
He isn't our player , Wolves sent him out on loan for the season to reduce their wagebill whilst they're playing in League 1. We may or maybe not paying all of his wages now but can we afford to pay him the same if we signed him permanently next season with a further tightening of the FFP belt ? I personally would like Ward to stay but will the club look for a cheaper option ? (after-all it is their decision). We all wanted Spanish Dave to come back so we have to take the collective blame as it hasn't worked out for either the fans or himself.

With FFP rules in full swing, no-one outside the Premier League will have the budgets to accommodate Ward's wages, so we'll have as good a chance as any of signing him full time next season. Think he's a very decent championship player but can't honestly see a Premier League club throwing the cash in his direction.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I keep track of this info for the entire squad and have offered (via [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]) to make it available on NSC.

I think that would be really helpful. I don't often do this, but at times I've tried to track down squad info via google, and it's quite difficult to find. Any chance the mods/lord B(ozza, not racknell) can take AZ up on his kind offer?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Would go along with this, but can't quite understand why Oscar hasn't given him a chance in central midfield, especially given our depleted numbers. As regards Ward, most of us would like him, but not at the wages he's currently on with Wolves, and there's always Chicksen.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think that would be really helpful. I don't often do this, but at times I've tried to track down squad info via google, and it's quite difficult to find. Any chance the mods/lord B(ozza, not racknell) can take AZ up on his kind offer?

I want to host a permanent page that has current contract info. It's on the 'to do' list...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Would go along with this, but can't quite understand why Oscar hasn't given him a chance in central midfield, especially given our depleted numbers.

Indeed. We're no one who can play a pass in midfield for the last few games. He has had a hand in a lot of goals for us, and while he wasn't great, he was no worse than most of the team. Against QPR and Ipswich we were crying out for someone who could open up a team with a pass. ( I am aware we beat QPR but thought it was a pretty poor performance until the last 20 mins)

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
We need ONE, yes only one dynamic experienced prem playmaker. We keep getting to the door, but can't find the key. Might be more than we'd like to pay. Just jettison 2-3 squad members who don't get picked anyway. Stop, stop, stop paying loan wages for guys to warm the feckin bench.... I'll do it for nothing :)

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
All this make not one iota of a difference if the manager is not sighing his own players which he isn't at the moment.

In the summer the clear out needs to include the role of Director of Football so that Oscar or whoever is in charge of the first team can sign players they want. Not who are suggested to them.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
All this make not one iota of a difference if the manager is not sighing his own players which he isn't at the moment.

In the summer the clear out needs to include the role of Director of Football so that Oscar or whoever is in charge of the first team can sign players they want. Not who are suggested to them.

I didn't think Oscar wanted to sign his own players.

Also that would mean he'd have less time to spend on the training ground, perfecting our dead balls. actually you might have an idea there.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We need ONE, yes only one dynamic experienced prem playmaker. We keep getting to the door, but can't find the key. Might be more than we'd like to pay. Just jettison 2-3 squad members who don't get picked anyway. Stop, stop, stop paying loan wages for guys to warm the feckin bench.... I'll do it for nothing :)

Joe Cole.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

You didn't listen to Barber's interview on BBC Sussex last week, did you? Barber repeated that Oscar has the first and last say on transfers - he helps identify the targets, then it is up to everyone else to go and get them.

Plus, we have to remember that because we are interested in the player, it doesn't mean that it is reciprocal: there's firstly the transfer fee, then there's the wages/other fees...then the agent (which is apparently what scuppered the Grabban deal). Plus geography - we're an attractive club but for players up north then they won't want to uproot their families etc.

If it was the same as Football Manager or Fifa then it'd be fantastic, but it isn't.

Anyway, my list is as follows:

Release:
Casper
Lopez
Possibly Brez (i'd love to see Smith/Walton given a chance, but i can see one being given the #3 slot and keeping Brez as experienced backup)

Return:
Lingard (I think we all know it's only a short-term arrangement)
Andrews (good, but i reckon we can probably do better)

Mutual Termination: Kemy (we can't release him, or we'd have to pay his contract up). Keep if him/the club can sort out any issues

New deals:
Orlandi (injury prone, but our key player when fit)
Hoskins (another year to prove himself and stay fit)
Greer (mainstay of our defence for the past 4 years, experience will be vital)
Upson (definitely if he is happy to have 1yr deals)
Bruno
Calderon (another year with a view to moving into coaching?)

Try to sign: Ward (he's been really consistent this season, plus is versatile enough. Whilst he is on high wages at Wolves i doubt they'll have him back)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here